SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this?

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #31  
Sounds like a lot of lawyer talk in here but diesels have worked just fine for 100+ years without needing electricity to run. Learn how to move the fuel shut off lever on the pump and you'll be fine.

As a side note, if you park in such a way that the engine ingests vapours from a nearby propane or butane leak, it will also run away when shut off. Bad oil rings will let it run on crankcase oil in some cases.

Owning old tractors that have been through fires etc, we learned to put them in high gear and dump the clutch with the brakes on to shut em down. You then roll started them. No batteries on them, no starter, no alternator. It is admittedly hard to stall an HST at times but it can be done.

To those of use used to diesels, please don't petition for more flaky safety interlocks to be added. Its a pain enough disabling them on a new tractor now. At least larger ag tractors don't have them yet.

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #32  
jgheck said:
:thumbsup:My sentiments exactly. I will contact Kubota about this and will post a reply that I get from them.

I look forward to hearing their response cause obviously this is a huge design flaw and knowing that if that fuse blows and in the extreme event that someone hit something while running the pto (let's say lawn mowing) fell off the tractor that they would get run over by both tractor and mower cause all the safety features were not functioning.

slowzuki said:
It is admittedly hard to stall an HST at times but it can be done.
I find it is easy to stall an HST I've stalled my BX many times, rotor tilling and hit a rock and it jams causing the pto to stop turning and will stall the tractor instantly, same with mowing and hitting a tree root above ground.

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #33  
-

Ultra runner--
That's what this tractor was an ultra runner. Sounds like you know what you are talking about. Have you had this experience too? I am going to call Kubota and see if I have any luck with them.

Only a couple of time with older Mercedes 240 and 300 Diesels.

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #34  
I look forward to hearing their response cause obviously this is a huge design flaw and knowing that if that fuse blows and in the extreme event that someone hit something while running the pto (let's say lawn mowing) fell off the tractor that they would get run over by both tractor and mower cause all the safety features were not functioning.

Guys, let's get real!

It is an extremely rare situation that you can't shut off a tractor.

As slowzuke said, you can always stall the engine. Or just put it in park and wait until it runs out of fuel. Patience, grasshopper....

Or dump a CO2 extinguisher into the air intake.....

As for falling off and getting run over:
1) where in the heck is your seat belt???????????
2) an emergency shut off isn't going to help you when the tractor and mower already ran over you:(

Ken

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #35  
Seems like a lot to take off or apart to shut a tractor down in an EMERGENCY. In this case time was not an issue but what if it was ?? There should be an emergency switch somewhere that could be just pushed and an immediate shutdown would occur.

Not saying that this isnt correct but just not very efficient if your in a panic situation

Not really a lot to take appart.

all you got to do is pop the hood and you can kill the engine with the lever. I was just advising to pull the panels off to help him find the injector pump, and thus the lever. Once he knows where it is, he can reach it with just the hood popped.

And IMO, An engine that will not shut down is NOT considered an emergency. Just an incovience. In the event of an emergency situation, you would use the key-switch. But a failed cut-off relay all by itself IMO doesnt constitute an "emergency".

And it it was indeed an emergency and the key didnt work, dumping the clutch in H range does wonders:thumbsup:

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #36  
Ken45101 said:
Guys, let's get real!

It is an extremely rare situation that you can't shut off a tractor.

As slowzuke said, you can always stall the engine. Or just put it in park and wait until it runs out of fuel. Patience, grasshopper....

Or dump a CO2 extinguisher into the air intake.....

As for falling off and getting run over:
1) where in the heck is your seat belt???????????
2) an emergency shut off isn't going to help you when the tractor and mower already ran over you:(

Ken

It is extremely rare but possible, I'm not saying to put safety switches everywhere but there should be at least a button to press to kill the engine by starving it of air on all tractors.

It's a little hard to dump CO2 into the air intake when there is nowhere to put an extinguisher on the scuts my toolbox sits on the floor cause of lack of room.
Stalling the engine isn't easy when there is no clutch to dump while in high gear cause it's an hst, and if your waiting to run out of fuel that tractor would run for about 12hrs.

I was saying I have heard of people falling off the tractor seat before and getting run over, I always wear my seatbelt and firmly believe it will save you if you have a cab or rops.

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #37  
Cause the truck needs the alternator to keep running and the battery for accessories and there is almost always one accessory running (heater or clock on the radio, ect.) I was told that that would put the extra strain on the alternator. And I agree with the keeping the rpm's up, and being slow on the clutch, I learned that the hard way, lol.

But that's my point. For any number of accessories, plus the ignition (everything that eventually drives the spark plugs and fuel), plus charging the battery, your alternator must have at least that much capacity. Otherwise your battery is weaker the next time you use the vehicle because it will drain down. The alternator provides more than enough for the accessories and ignition because the battery gets charged too (or at least it is supposed to :laughing: ).

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #38  
RaydaKub said:
But that's my point. For any number of accessories, plus the ignition (everything that eventually drives the spark plugs and fuel), plus charging the battery, your alternator must have at least that much capacity. Otherwise your battery is weaker the next time you use the vehicle because it will drain down. The alternator provides more than enough for the accessories and ignition because the battery gets charged too (or at least it is supposed to :laughing: ).

Very true, never thought of it that way and was told that from an old school mechanic so thought it must have been true. Now I know something more than him :)

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this?
It is extremely rare but possible, I'm not saying to put safety switches everywhere but there should be at least a button to press to kill the engine by starving it of air on all tractors.

It's a little hard to dump CO2 into the air intake when there is nowhere to put an extinguisher on the scuts my toolbox sits on the floor cause of lack of room.
Stalling the engine isn't easy when there is no clutch to dump while in high gear cause it's an hst, and if your waiting to run out of fuel that tractor would run for about 12hrs.

I was saying I have heard of people falling off the tractor seat before and getting run over, I always wear my seatbelt and firmly believe it will save you if you have a cab or rops.

Thanks for all the replies. I understand that this was not a true emergency. I was in my garage at the time working on the tractor. It was dark out and snowing here last night. I did not want to drive it outside and stall it because then I would have the problem of getting it back inside to work on it and solve the original problem. I had no one else here to help me. I did put the brake on and tried to stall it in the garage but that did not work. I did not want to put it through the wall of the garage and end up in the house. I guess I thought that there would be some easy way of shutting this down. All in all this has been a learning experience and just was looking for some help here. I was interested in letting others know of the problem I had just in case they ran into this. I had tried searching on here for other similar problems but found none. I often have searched on here and come up with no response. This forum is to help educate and learn from each other. I appreciate all the help. I agree with not having more regulations and safety switches everywhere. I do think though there should at least be one that would shut the tractor down in case of an emergency. It should not be something you have to search for. I still have not found that turn off valve that LD1 mentioned. I am going to go out and take the side panel off to locate it. I have finally got hold of someone at Kubota in Ohio, and he is going to check with service and get back to me. I will post the answer when I get it.

Thanks to all that have replied. I am only trying to help and get help on here. I know some of you have mentioned read the manual and find out where these things are. Well I have done that and am trying to figure out how everything works on this particular tractor. This is my first tractor and if you haven't had these problems before how are you to know what is wrong and how to solve it?

Hind site is 20/20 and so is the personal experience.

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #40  

What good is that kill switch on the dash going to do if you fall off and are being run over:confused2:

And in a true emergency, do you think you will even have enough time to react??

What about your car? Does it have an emergency kill switch?

Or your chainsaw. Does it have a b/u kill switch??

I have to agree with Ken here. Lets get real. It is not a design flaw, or an engineering flaw. No matter how many safety switches or kill mechanisms are installed, it is always going to be possible for them to fail.

Use common sense and dont ever put yourself in a situation that needs you to kill the tractor immediatally. Even if you fall off and are being run over, and even if you manage to "kill" the tractor on the way down, ever hear of momentum??