SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this?

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #1  

jgheck

Silver Member
Tractor
BX23
I was working on My BX23 trying to figure out why the HST instrument light wouldn't go out. Well I got the tractor started, but it would not turn off. I tried to squeeze the fuel line tight with a vise grip and it would not shut down. I disconnected the battery and that did nothing. I pulled all the fuses out and still nothing. I disconnected the safety switches from the seat and it still would not turn off. Yes I tried the key many times to no avail. I finally pulled off the intake hose from the air cleaner and held my hand on it and that caused it to stop immediately. I checked all kinds of electrical switches with my meter. I finally found that a fuse was blown. I replaced that and I could then turn off the tractor with the key. I have never heard of that before. Does anyone know how to turn the tractor off in an emergency? This just doesn't sound correct. They have all kinds of safety switches on it so you can't start it but with the blown fuse the seat safety switches didn't even work. I could start the tractor without even sitting down in the seat. By the way I still don't know why the HST light stays on. Anyone???

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #2  
Every Kubota I ever owned has a little red knob somewhere on the dash or down low. It's the EMERGENCY SHUTDOWN. You pull it and it cuts the fuel to the pump. No fuel, no run.

Read your owners manual for it's location.

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #3  
Engage your pto and get off the seat? That would always kill my tractor.

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this?
Every Kubota I ever owned has a little red knob somewhere on the dash or down low. It's the EMERGENCY SHUTDOWN. You pull it and it cuts the fuel to the pump. No fuel, no run.

Read your owners manual for it's location.

Hello 5030, That would make sense. This is a Kubota BX23. 2005. No red knob on this tractor that I can find. I just went out to look for it. I also checked the manual and can find nothing. That sounds like a great idea to shut off the fuel. I tried to by squeezing the fuel lines but I couldn't get it to stop. That is why I pulled all the fuses. I figured they would have one to control the fuel pump, but I guess not. I hope to get some answers here. I haven't had much luck contacting Kubota. I have written them before, but never get an answer.
Does anyone know how to get in contact with Kubota? email or phone? I believe this is a big safety concern and others should know about it.

Engage your pto and get off the seat? That would always kill my tractor.

I did that as well. The seat controls would not stop the tractor I even disconnected the seat safety switches and I could not get the tractor to stop running.

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #6  
Do you know what fuse it was that you replaced? It sounds really weird that one single fuse would have that much control of the whole tractor for nothing else to shut it down. Do all your fail safes work now that the fuse is put replaced (seat switch, ect.) if so then I would be consulting your nearest dealer cause to me that would be a MAJOR flaw to have that happen.

Do you know what fuse it was that you replaced? It sounds really weird that one single fuse would have that much control of the whole tractor for nothing else to shut it down. Do all your fail safes work now that the fuse is put replaced (seat switch, ect.) if so then I would be consulting your nearest dealer cause to me that would be a MAJOR flaw to have that happen.

It was a 20 amp fuse. There are only 4 fuses in a row. The first fuse is a 20amp the other 3 are 15 amp fuses. The PTO safety switch works and the Neutral safety switch is working. The two seat switches are not working. I checked the switches themselves and they are ok, but for some reason they are not working when they are connected. It almost sounds like a short somewhere. All the lights work, blinkers, flashers, front lights. I can't figure it out. I also have this HST light that stays on. I don't even know what thay hooks to. I had called the dealer yesterday and the service guy didn't know what that was hooked up to. He couldn't find any information on it. I can not find it located in any parts manuals that I have downloaded either. Thanks for the help.

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #8  
All of the newer Kubota tractors have what they call "Key Stop" this is where either the act of turning the key off or a seat, PTO or pedal switch goes to a state that the Key Stop timer relay becomes activated.

If this circuit looses power there is no way for the relay to energize and activate the solenoid to pull the shutdown lever on the injection pump closed to kill the engine, contrary to popular belief many Kubota tractors do not require a solenoid to be energized to run but it is only energized to shut down.

People need to learn where the shutoff lever on the pump is and learn how to pull it to the closed position. Some engines do have a solenoid with 2 coils, one to hold lever open to run and a larger one to enable the shutdown and sometimes the run coil fails and people get intermittent shut downs causing problems. If the BX has the D902 engine their is a silver or sometimes gray solenoid that you can see energize for 5-10 seconds when you turn the key off. That is where you need to look in case you blow the fuse again and you can pull the lever to the stop position to kill the engine.

On both my Massey MF35 and Kubota L3130 GST they will both run for at least 10 minutes when the fuel valve is turned off, they use up all the fuel in the filters and just about suck them dry until they finally stall out.

David Kb7uns

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #9  
The only thing you can control is the air intake...

I have seen diesel run even with the fuel line pulled... the engine was running on crankcase oil.