Mowing kubota zd21

/ kubota zd21 #1  

currey

Tractor
kubota zd21
hi all,new here i have a on going prob with a kubota zd21 mower ,seems it would only start if i put a jump start on it (the battery is new) thought maybe it was the brushes in starter ,replaced with a new starter same prob just clicks, any ideas would be very helpful

/ kubota zd21 #2  
check if the charging system is working ...with the engine running you should have 14 to 15 volts

was the NEW battery charged up or tested before you tried it?

Last edited:
   / kubota zd21 #3  
hi all,new here i have a on going prob with a kubota zd21 mower ,seems it would only start if i put a jump start on it (the battery is new) thought maybe it was the brushes in starter ,replaced with a new starter same prob just clicks, any ideas would be very helpful

I would guess battery to cable connection is bad. When you put the jumper cable on it you're attaching directly to the cable, not the bad connection. You could test that by disconnecting the cables and attaching the jumper cables to the battery terminals and the cable ends. Might be some corrosion cooties in there.

/ kubota zd21
sry am new an thught they were in the wrong theard .no prob with battery conection ,i am wondering if it is maybe 1 of the safety things like maybe a switch

/ kubota zd21 #5  
I have an occasional problem with mine.I have to short across the starter to get it cranked.I think the problem with mine is the safety switch under the seat.Just haven't had time to check it out.I also had to replace the ignition switch a couple of years ago because it wouldn't start.
Just because the battery is new doesn't mean it's a good battery.Also check your voltage with and without the engine running and see if it's charging.

/ kubota zd21
thebattery is good full charge

/ kubota zd21 #9  
You say it's "new"? Then it's under warranty. Have the dealer figure it out.

Ken

/ kubota zd21 #10  
sry am new an thught they were in the wrong theard .no prob with battery conection ,i am wondering if it is maybe 1 of the safety things like maybe a switch

if you are getting a clicking at the starter solenoid then some current is getting to the solenoid which indicates it is probably not a safety switch.

is the engine seized? can you turn it with a wrench?

can you check battery voltage drop when you try to crank?

make sure the ground cable is secureed to good ground and that the engine itself is connected to a good ground, you can test that by putting a jumper cable from the ground post of the battery to the engine block making a good ground and then try to start.