Removing Loader Pins?

/ Removing Loader Pins? #1  

Dr. Bob

Silver Member
Sergentsville, NJ (Western NJ, the good part!)
Tractor
2003 B7800
I have a B7800 that will not take grease in the two loader pins nearest the steering wheel (the upper pins closest to the driver). I changed the grease fittings and that did not help. I read here that removing the pins and cleaning them will solve this issue. Before I started to do this, I thought I would ask for advice on the best way to do it and any "tricks" that will make it easier. I have 150 ton of stone to move, so greasing will be critical!

/ Removing Loader Pins? #2  
Had the same issue on a few pins a while back. I read here that giving the offending pin a whack will solve it. This it worked for me. I used a dead-blow to tap the pin and it took grease.

/ Removing Loader Pins? #3  
Often times mild heat provided with a torch will free up the zerk.

/ Removing Loader Pins? #4  
What has happened is,(I think:))There is hard packed dirt around the pin.that is taking up the space the grease needs to fill. I take it out(the pin) clean it an clean the hole of what will be a thin layer of harden powdery hard packed dirt.
Army Grunt

/ Removing Loader Pins? #5  
If you cannot push grease through, you need to remove, clean, and inspect it. I have had some issues with my LA724 loader. I HAVE been a digging fool for two years, so believe me this is NOT a complaint, just something to think about. On my loader the pins are held in place with bolts and self locking nuts. I have had the bolts come out, and that causes damage rather quickly. The first time it happened I had NEVER removed the pin, it dislodged by itself (of course I had performed acrobatic with the bucket in so many perilous positions). SO, I bought a replacement link AND ordered a full set of replacement bolts and nuts from Kubota (so I would not have to fumble for metric and dimensional wrenches)... Well, the NEW link AND NEW bolt with NEW locking nut came free after about 10 hours.....
Luckily I recognized it faster, and I still had my "home-made" link. I think that the replacement bolt was a little longer than the original and that it got bent and broke during use. I have siince installed long 1/4 inch cotter pins on this link and it is working well.
While I was doing the "second" repair, I removed, cleaned, and inspected all of the pins associated with the bucket. Even though I am a religious greaser, I was glad that I did it. Just a hint to be carful with those bolts, and NEVER re-use a plastic lock nut.

/ Removing Loader Pins?
Thanks guys.
I removed the pins, cleaned them and the insides and replaced them. They take grease happily now.
Only about another 90 ton to move and its 40 degrees and very windy!:(

/ Removing Loader Pins?
No they were not dry or rusty. That's probably becuse this just happened. I had greased them about 5 working hours before and one required a lot of pressure before it would take any grease and I am not sure how much got in. I replaced the grease fitting and that worked for about one pump of the grease gun. It is interesting that both plugged up at about the same time. I did not find a lot of junk in there. Just cleaned out the opening with my fingers and cleaned off the pins and they now work fine.
Unfortunately, I was not smart enough to put the tractor on level ground before removing the pins so it took a bit of jockeying with the loader control, moving the tractor a bit and levering the bucket with a shale bar to get the openings lined-up to insert the pins after cleaning.
Does anyone have any "tricks" to make this easier (other than putting the tractor on level ground)?
Moved 75 tons yesterday. Will move the remainder today!
The little lady is getting quite a workout.

/ Removing Loader Pins? #9  
Dr Bob, good morning all,
I use a brass drift then I tap the pin out, what I typically do is leave the drift in place to hold both holes somewhat aligned. This keeps both members in place and makes it a bit easier to reinstall the take-out pin when I am done cleaning.
BTW, I have owned my B7800 since 2003, they are quite the work horse
Dan