Protecting BX Flashers

/ Protecting BX Flashers #1  

RET

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200, JD LX277, Cub Lo-Boy
Both of the yellow flashers on my baby BX have now been destroyed. Before last weekend, I was occassionally re-attaching one of the flashers with epoxy. While mowing this past weekend, I ended up breaking BOTH of the flashers off. This time, I didn't even bother to stop and pick up the pieces....they're still somewhere on the ground in teh back 40. These lights are so flimsy that a small branch will easily break them off.
I've got two options now:
1) remove the remaining pieces and not replace. Cheap. Don't really need flashers anyway. Or.....
2) find some sort of sturdy light brush guards or build from scratch. If from scratch, my simple idea is to build a metal 'box' with expanded metal on either side (lights shine out of both front and back of the lens' housing).

Question: Does anyone know of an off-the-shelf light protector that could be fitted to the BX in the OEM flasher bracket location? Or, has anyone built their own protectors?

thanks!
RET

/ Protecting BX Flashers #2  
Is the BX like the B7500 where you can move the flashers to inside the ROPS?

/ Protecting BX Flashers #3  
On my B7300 the flashers are mounted inside the ROPs. One of the few things that I haven't been able to destroy, yet /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

I'd say either remount them inside the ROPs or just take them off. If you won't use the tractor on the road you shouldn't need them. But if you will, get the "slow moving vehicle" triangle and make sure you keep the flashers. Required by law if you're on the road.

/ Protecting BX Flashers #4  
Strange. I've knocked the lenses off my flashers exactly twice, and both times I was thankful...otherwise it might have busted them. Seems to me that they shouldn't come off so easily. Is it under warranty? If so, let the dealer give you new ones. If not, just replace them with something off the shelf that doesn't come apart so easily. My suggestion, anyway, FWIW. A guard isn't a bad idea, though.... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Protecting BX Flashers #5  
I've actually been considering drilling a hole through both lenses and putting a small bolt with a nylon nut on it to hold them together. 90% of the time I just knock one or more off without any damage, so keeping them on is more of a priority for me.

/ Protecting BX Flashers #6  
<font color="blue"> I've actually been considering drilling a hole through both lenses and putting a small bolt with a nylon nut on it to hold them together. </font>

Me too! Those same units are used on the B2910. I did lose one lens somewhere and my solution [not done yet...] was to drill a hole throught the lenses and hold them together that way...

Funny thing is since deciding that was the answer I have not knocked another one off!

My dealer could not find the lens I needed to replace one I lost...ordered the wrong one first...then they realized it was a bx item...

/ Protecting BX Flashers #7  
The amber flasher lights on the BX are made by Peterson Manufacturing Company. The light is model 313AA. I bought one at my local Farm & Home Supply store for $6.50. Kubota wants around $14.00 for one. Check your local farm supply, hardware and auto parts stores.

Attachments

• 250837-313AA.jpg
    250837-313AA.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 139
   / Protecting BX Flashers
The flashers are mounted outside the ROPS. Not enough room inside....especially with the new, larger seat I installed a few days ago.
In my case, I broke both flasher cases...not just the lenses. The housings are fragile plastic. Actually, I broke the 1st one last year bumping into it while doing routine maintenance. Unit is no longer under warranty.
I think I have a solution....
A neighbor came by yesterday PM and asked, per my previous offer, to borrow the tractor today to spread some dirt he is having hauled in in preperation for extending his shop.
At dusk last night, we hooked up the FEL and box blade and I gave him a refresher on safe operation. It just so happens that this neighbor is a a sheet metal worker by trade...and he has plenty of metal working equipment in his shop. I figure a day's use of my baby entitles him to fab me up some brush guards for the flashers out of scrap metal he has lying around.
Ain't country neighbors great?! I help you, you help me....one big happy family.
RET

/ Protecting BX Flashers #9  
Can you tell me what is the replacement bulb # for the BX2200 flashers? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif One of mine burnt out. Also, do I just pop the lens out of the housing with a screwdriver? How do you get the amber lens off to change the bulb? Thanks.

Bill

/ Protecting BX Flashers #10  
Bill, use a wide flat blade screwdriver and carefully work your way around the outside of the lens. Once you have the lens off you will be able to remove the bulb and find a number on it. You should be able to find a replacement at about anyplace that sells 12volt automotive bulbs. After replacing the bulb make sure you get the lens snapped back on securely or it might pop back off when you least suspect it. If you break or lose a lens you can't buy a replacement, you have to buy the whole lamp assembly.