Mowing L3130 brush hog size (again)

/ L3130 brush hog size (again) #11  
that must be 1 heck of a blower to add 36hp to the tractor.

/ L3130 brush hog size (again) #12  
that must be 1 heck of a blower to add 36hp to the tractor.

Without getting too far off topic and I'm not trying to steal this thread away from its original intent.

The numbers don't lie and it pulled NH 718 2 row silage cutter for many years, it
made it talk but handled just fine. You have to drive it to appreciate it, it's also
in near show condition. It has 4000 hrs on it.

/ L3130 brush hog size (again)
FWIW, the owners manual says 72" max for the L3130 under "rotary cutter." I have not used an RC so cannot confirm or refute this in the real world...

This is good to see, must have missed it somewhere. Don't know what type brushhog I'll end up with yet, some type of craigslist special. I'm sure I'd be able to judge what I'm going thru and be OK. Won't be going thru anything too thick and lush, or cutting especially low.
I feel better just getting some positive feedback.

/ L3130 brush hog size (again) #14  
I owned a L3130 HST for four years;put about 250 hrs.brush-hogging with a five ft.medium duty Bush-Hog branded.I wouldn't have wanted a six ft..Running the same on a 44hp tractor now.Have about 700 total on the BH with no problems.I know it is too small for the tractor I have now but it just keeps going.

/ L3130 brush hog size (again) #15  
Grateful11 said:
I agree with Grandad4. I've seen fairly thick lush grass pull down a bush hog faster than groves of 5ft high stemmy weeds. I'm talking grass that might be 10" high. I'm not sure if it's because it builds up under deck so fast and can't it out fast enough or what. We have a 6' 3pt and 7' pull type bush hogs and the 3pt gets pulled with either an L3940 or IH 574, the 7' gets pulled with a 106 PTO HP IH 686 with a turbo.

A lawn of quality Kentucky bluegrass is more than double the cutting resistance compared to st Augustine and up to triple compared to typical weed growth. It's the density of fiber material per square foot of blade movement that makes the difference. A collector bag of 3 inch bluegrass is quite heavy. Blade cutting benefits from more air spaces and reduced moisture content (both indicators of reduced density).

It's not the height that makes it more or less difficult, but the density of material the blades spin thru.