kUBOTA 5040 VS 15FT(batwing)

/ kUBOTA 5040 VS 15FT(batwing) #1  

foreman Etexas

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota (2010)M7040,(2012)M7040,New Holland(2004)TL100
I have a 2011 kubota m5040 4x4 with loader,my question is do you think that I can use a 15ft medium duty batwing(without any issues? I have used are 12 ft 5040 and ds1440 rear view.JPG but that shredder isnt one to be loading on gooseneck and hauling down a county road. I bought an 8ft heavy duty when i got the tractor cause it fit on the trailer nicely but after mowing this year im really looking at going to a batwing..

/ kUBOTA 5040 VS 15FT(batwing)
I have a 2011 kubota m5040 4x4 with loader,my question is do you think that I can use a 15ft medium duty batwing(without any issues? I have used are 12 ftView attachment 238038 but that shredder isnt one to be loading on gooseneck and hauling down a county road. I bought an 8ft heavy duty when i got the tractor cause it fit on the trailer nicely but after mowing this year im really looking at going to a batwing..

I found a 15ft Predator batwing great shape for $5500,will have to add another set of remotes $1000
http://modernusa.com/images/15pred-pop.pdf

/ kUBOTA 5040 VS 15FT(batwing) #3  
Honestly, I don't think you have enough tractor for a 15' batwing. We use one behind an M9540 and that is about as small of a tractor as I would recommend. First off, they are heavy and have a LOT of tongue weight. Without the loader or a full rack of front weights we have trouble keeping the front of the M9540 on the ground. Secondly, to really make them work well they need a fair bit of power. Really the 82 PTO hp on the 9540 is about the minimum I'd want for any moderate cutting. 100-120 PTO hp is much better.

Taking those things into consideration, I think you'd be much happier and more productive with the cutter you pictured.

Honestly, I don't think you have enough tractor for a 15' batwing. We use one behind an M9540 and that is about as small of a tractor as I would recommend. First off, they are heavy and have a LOT of tongue weight. Without the loader or a full rack of front weights we have trouble keeping the front of the M9540 on the ground. Secondly, to really make them work well they need a fair bit of power. Really the 82 PTO hp on the 9540 is about the minimum I'd want for any moderate cutting. 100-120 PTO hp is much better.

Taking those things into consideration, I think you'd be much happier and more productive with the cutter you pictured.

I just use that one around the house,but its usually on the m7040 the 8ft landpride is the one I usually haul to the lease place.Mostly goat weeds and rawsen weeds but I been spraying so they are getting less and less of them in pasture. Grass will be under a foot and not real thick

/ kUBOTA 5040 VS 15FT(batwing) #6  

^^^ What he said!

I have a M5040 and wanted a 15' batwing. I bought a M9540 for it. It does good although with 600# of front weights, it's a little light in the front at times when turning on a hillside.

You might be able to do light cutting at very slow speeds with the M5040. But I certainly would not trust it to control the rig on hills.

An M8540 might be okay but the cost difference is very little between the 85 and the 9540 (they are basically the same tractor with a different engine tuning for a few more HP). That's as small as I'd go, meets the "5hp per foot of cutter" standard (almost). Check your Kubota manual, the M5040 is not rated for anything like a 15 footer. Likewise that's consistent with the HP recommendation from Bush Hog.

Ken

/ kUBOTA 5040 VS 15FT(batwing) #7  
I have a M4900 and I know it would light weight and low on HP for a 15 ft cutter.

/ kUBOTA 5040 VS 15FT(batwing) #8  
I agree with some of the others, I don't think you have enough PTO HP, I've always heard 5HP for every foot of PTO powered implements.

Mike

Most the pastures im mowing are so rough not going to get in any hurry I have used the 12ft Woods(DS1440),the tractor pulled it fine,you can tell the weights back there. Never felt light in the front(have ldr on) always ran it in 4x4. Seems like if it did hit a load the tractor would just power up and blow alittle black smoke from pipe and never slack up.But the batwing does weights about 900lbs more and is three foot wider than the woods. Thanks folks...

/ kUBOTA 5040 VS 15FT(batwing) #10  
If you want a big one, look for a tri deck finishing mower. Sod farms are going belly up every where. Both of my main competitors have gotten out in the last year. Should be able to find one cheap and in good shape, and a 50hp tractor shouldn't have any trouble with the finishing mower that size.

If you need a real bush hog, I'd stay at either 6 or 8', maybe 10' max.