Backhoe Backhoe working like a charm

/ Backhoe working like a charm #11  
BeezFun said:
Everytime I go on a backhoe purchasing fantasy I get derailed trying to figure out which kind to get.

I have those fantasies too- I get derailed by the price tag!

/ Backhoe working like a charm #12  

Hello.....It's a tractor!

Indeed it is, not an industrial TLB. ;)

Regardless, you can put a tremendous amount of pressure on the rear axle if you don't have the stabilizers down and pry up on something with the bucket (especially with the curl function.) Generally you won't wreck something the first time, or first 10 times, but repeated loading of the rear axle that much is really hard on it.

I've run many different backhoes for more hours than I can remember and agree with lifting the tires a bit off the ground. I don't drop the stabilizers as far down as they go, but do lift the rear wheels 2-3" off the ground.

Anyways, to the OP, that is a great pic. You can do a lot of work with that size hoe with some practice. :thumbsup:

/ Backhoe working like a charm
I would have to agree that having my wheels off the ground does keep me planted in one place and also keeps the tractor from shaking so much. If you look at the photo, you will see that my FEL is on a concrete ramp headed downhill and one of the stabs is also on the concrete so I needed to make sure the tractor was not going to roll one bit with this big rock, as tipping is NOT an option in my book.

/ Backhoe working like a charm #14  

Hello.....It's a tractor!

I understand it is a tractor and guess what tractors break. Axles bend and housings bust.

I just went out to the garage and got my manual. Kubota does call for the widest stance possible. It states one or both rear wheels should LIGHTLY contact the ground. "If the rear wheels are raised to high, digging depth will be reduced and undue stress will be exerted on the backhoe frame components."
So Kubota Engineers are more concerned with the stress on the frame then on the wheels. I gotta go with that cause I am betting a stress analysis was done.

/ Backhoe working like a charm #15  
I understand it is a tractor and guess what tractors break. Axles bend and housings bust.

I just went out to the garage and got my manual. Kubota does call for the widest stance possible. It states one or both rear wheels should LIGHTLY contact the ground. "If the rear wheels are raised to high, digging depth will be reduced and undue stress will be exerted on the backhoe frame components."
So Kubota Engineers are more concerned with the stress on the frame then on the wheels. I gotta go with that cause I am betting a stress analysis was done.

Thanks for this! I didn't even think to look at the manual. Why then do they allow the stabilizers to go to the extent they do? Is it the only way to engineer them?

/ Backhoe working like a charm #16  
Thanks for this! I didn't even think to look at the manual. Why then do they allow the stabilizers to go to the extent they do? Is it the only way to engineer them?

The stabilizers have to be useful on uneven ground.I have been in situations where one stabilizer had to be fully extended to touch the ground such as near the edge of a ditch.

/ Backhoe working like a charm #17  
I didn't mean to open up a whole can of worms. My original point was that the stabilizers don't need to be fully extended and the bucket fully dumped with the whole machine 3 feet off the ground. An inch or two is sufficient, safer, and easier on the machine. There is no added benefit in lifting the tractor all the way up versus an inch or two. Off the ground is off the ground - any higher and you lose stability and stress the equipment more. Of course the stabilizers get fully extended at times; uneven ground, etc... when you so this, you simply level the machine and again keep it just slightly off the ground. Nothing to be gained by going higher.

/ Backhoe working like a charm #18  
My experience is that construction workers are the poster child for what not to do when it comes to machine damage or safety.

Is this the 3pt backhoe, or is it on a subframe? Everytime I go on a backhoe purchasing fantasy I get derailed trying to figure out which kind to get.
Stay away from a 3 point backhoe!

/ Backhoe working like a charm #19  
93Mustang said:
I have those fantasies too- I get derailed by the price tag!

Some times you just need to buy on I just bought a L45 that price tag was big