Backhoe Backhoe working like a charm

/ Backhoe working like a charm #1  

Rice Rider

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400 HST 4WD
I've have had my BH 76 now for several years and combined with my L3400 HST, it gets the job done and then some. I've moved larger rocks when I was digging out the slope and preparing the pad for my wood shop, but my wife had a camera in her hands when I was digging out this monster. Once I stood it up, I had to drill it and use Dexpan to break it up into moveable chunks.

Attachments

• 40024_1372024940576_1230346054_30905780_3034103_n[1].jpg
    40024_1372024940576_1230346054_30905780_3034103_n[1].jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 595
  • 45673_1372024980577_1230346054_30905781_6349885_n[1].jpg
    45673_1372024980577_1230346054_30905781_6349885_n[1].jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 440
   / Backhoe working like a charm #3  
Nice job! At the risk of being a busybody, I've got to tell you - you really shouldn't have that tractor so high off the ground when you're digging. The stabilizers are just that - meant to stabilize. They work best when the load is just taken off the wheels but the wheels are still making a little contact with the ground. Same with the front end. I know all the Kubota pics show the bucket dumped full as you have it - and it works great like that - but it puts a tremendous amount of stress on those fully exposed curl cylinders.

I've got the BH-75 and I know how strong the hoes are for our light tractors. They will drag the machine all over the place. Four wheels on the ground will help stop the tractor from dragging much better. There really is no benefit to lifting the tractor up as high as it will go with the stabilizers.

Another thing I've done is bolted 'cleats' onto my stabilizer pads so they grip better in soft ground, rather than sliding around. Can be done very easily with a couple pieces of heavy angle bolted into the holes that the street pads bolt onto.

/ Backhoe working like a charm #4  
Nspec your wright about the stabs being too high, yet at the same time you see alot of construction workers doing the same thing.

/ Backhoe working like a charm #5  
It appears that your backhoe is surely capable of doing the job. Enjoy your seat time and good luck with your project. Please stay safe.:tractor::thumbsup:

/ Backhoe working like a charm #6  
Thats a nice size bolder to remove with that BH! They are built well and can really surprise you.

Nice job! At the risk of being a busybody, I've got to tell you - you really shouldn't have that tractor so high off the ground when you're digging. The stabilizers are just that - meant to stabilize. They work best when the load is just taken off the wheels but the wheels are still making a little contact with the ground. Same with the front end. I know all the Kubota pics show the bucket dumped full as you have it - and it works great like that - but it puts a tremendous amount of stress on those fully exposed curl cylinders.

I did not know this. I thought having the stabilizers fully extended helped prevent the tractor from moving around.

/ Backhoe working like a charm #7  
... at the same time you see alot of construction workers doing the same thing.

My experience is that construction workers are the poster child for what not to do when it comes to machine damage or safety.

Is this the 3pt backhoe, or is it on a subframe? Everytime I go on a backhoe purchasing fantasy I get derailed trying to figure out which kind to get.

/ Backhoe working like a charm #8  
I have read several times on this site about the stabilizers being to high. I am not sure I agree. I for one like to get the wheels up off the ground and have no problem with the tractor moving around when they are. What I don't like is to be digging and discover my wheels are on the ground. If the wheels are on the ground while digging it is my humble opinion there is load being applied to the axles. I don't see how that can be good. Even with my B26 and only 150 hours the stabilizers drift down while digging. There is a lot of load on those cylinders. I check frequently to be sure my wheels are off the ground. I also generally keep the tractor out of gear while digging.

I am very interest to hear other opinions and input on this question. I guess the issue is are the axles and transmission meant to receive load while digging.

I do walk my machine while digging to re-position. When I am doing it I have the stabilizers close to the ground and the bucked in scoop position and lightly on the ground. The machine is very stable this way and walks easily. The tractor is in neutral for this operation also.

/ Backhoe working like a charm #9  
I happen to have the Ober book from a local library right now.

He suggests 2 points.

Tires, front or rear, on the ground will 'give' as the hoe moves and the give will 'echo' throughout the whole motion and operators body parts! I can vouch for that - less over shoot and shake when all the wheels are up and FEL bucket and stabilizers down.

Once the tires are up, you next want the widest stance you can set - typically setting the wheels at the lowest stance where they are still barely up - should leave the 2 stabilizer pads at the largest distance between. They would then resist the greatest torque / angle 'lever' force trying to move the machine. A higher cab is 'tippier' and the 'lever' to resist force is shorter also.

/ Backhoe working like a charm #10