BX25 Hard to engage/disengage 4 wheel drive

/ BX25 Hard to engage/disengage 4 wheel drive #1  

oklandist

Tractor
Kubota BX25
Hi all,

I have had my BX 25 for about 2 weeks now. But I have noticed that it is very difficult to engage and disengage the 4 wheel drive. Is there a trick to it? Also I read that you should not have 4 wheel drive engaged on a hard surface for long periods of time. Is that true?

thanks

/ BX25 Hard to engage/disengage 4 wheel drive #2  
On mine it helps at various times to move other stuff... roll the tractor forward/reverse, move the forward/reverse pedals, try neutral.
I really try not to use 4wd, trying to develop a habit. Since I'm mostly doing lawn stuff now, with the ag tires, I'd really rather not dig in and spin the fronts and tear up the grass. I'll slip in on a real hill now and then and right back out for flat turf.

/ BX25 Hard to engage/disengage 4 wheel drive #3  
Hi all,

I have had my BX 25 for about 2 weeks now. But I have noticed that it is very difficult to engage and disengage the 4 wheel drive. Is there a trick to it? Also I read that you should not have 4 wheel drive engaged on a hard surface for long periods of time. Is that true?

thanks
On a post awhile back, they were using there front end loader to take the weight off of the front. Witch made it easier to engage.

/ BX25 Hard to engage/disengage 4 wheel drive #4  
When you are in 4WD, the front wheels are mechanically linked to the back wheels. But, the front wheels turn left and right, so when you turn, the front wheels travel a different arc than the back. Because they are all linked, but traveling a different radius, you will get binding. The drivetrain is made to handle that, but it is also why you aren't supposed to drive a 4WD (different than all wheel drive) on a hard surface- like pavement. Therefore, it can be tough to get out of 4WD, because of the binding. If you back up some, 2 or 3 feet, you will "unwind" that binding. You can also lift the front end, like suggested, which takes the binding load off the front end. Or you can back up a little, or some folks turn left and right while moving forward and putting pressure on the 4WD lever. It will probably tell you in the owners manual to move in the opposite direction while disengaging. However you do it, you will relieve the stress on the driveline, enabling you to disengage. It is a normal condition for 4WD's.

/ BX25 Hard to engage/disengage 4 wheel drive #5  
When you are in 4WD, the front wheels are mechanically linked to the back wheels. But, the front wheels turn left and right, so when you turn, the front wheels travel a different arc than the back. Because they are all linked, but traveling a different radius, you will get binding. The drivetrain is made to handle that, but it is also why you aren't supposed to drive a 4WD (different than all wheel drive) on a hard surface- like pavement. Therefore, it can be tough to get out of 4WD, because of the binding. If you back up some, 2 or 3 feet, you will "unwind" that binding. You can also lift the front end, like suggested, which takes the binding load off the front end. Or you can back up a little, or some folks turn left and right while moving forward and putting pressure on the 4WD lever. It will probably tell you in the owners manual to move in the opposite direction while disengaging. However you do it, you will relieve the stress on the driveline, enabling you to disengage. It is a normal condition for 4WD's.

Ditto, Hodge said pretty much what I was going to say until I read his post.
A Metcalf

/ BX25 Hard to engage/disengage 4 wheel drive
Thanks, I have a snow blower attachment and a paved driveway, should I not use 4 wheel drive when I am snow blowing?

thanks

/ BX25 Hard to engage/disengage 4 wheel drive #7  
Only use 4WD if you need to. I rarely use mine while snow blowing even with a fairly steep hill.

/ BX25 Hard to engage/disengage 4 wheel drive #8  
Ditto. You will know when to use 4WD.

/ BX25 Hard to engage/disengage 4 wheel drive #9  
It will probably tell you in the owners manual to move in the opposite direction while disengaging.

This is what I always do, but it does not mention it anywhere in the manual...

/ BX25 Hard to engage/disengage 4 wheel drive #10  
Nature of the beast and if you do a search on when and when not to use 4WD, settle in for a LOT of reading. I have forgotten to disengage and run on pavement with several tractors without ill effects though I wouldn't recommend it and it will wear your tires quicker.