Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Default BX25 Hard to engage/disengage 4 wheel drive

Hi all,

I have had my BX 25 for about 2 weeks now. But I have noticed that it is very difficult to engage and disengage the 4 wheel drive. Is there a trick to it? Also I read that you should not have 4 wheel drive engaged on a hard surface for long periods of time. Is that true?

thanks

Bronze Member

Default Re: BX25 Hard to engage/disengage 4 wheel drive

On mine it helps at various times to move other stuff... roll the tractor forward/reverse, move the forward/reverse pedals, try neutral.
    I really try not to use 4wd, trying to develop a habit. Since I'm mostly doing lawn stuff now, with the ag tires, I'd really rather not dig in and spin the fronts and tear up the grass. I'll slip in on a real hill now and then and right back out for flat turf.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1423 Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by oklandist View Post
    Hi all,

I have had my BX 25 for about 2 weeks now. But I have noticed that it is very difficult to engage and disengage the 4 wheel drive. Is there a trick to it? Also I read that you should not have 4 wheel drive engaged on a hard surface for long periods of time. Is that true?

thanks
    On a post awhile back, they were using there front end loader to take the weight off of the front. Witch made it easier to engage.
    Massey 1423, 1462 loader, wallenstein Ranch ho gx620, with subframe mount.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7100 HST 4WD

When you are in 4WD, the front wheels are mechanically linked to the back wheels. But, the front wheels turn left and right, so when you turn, the front wheels travel a different arc than the back. Because they are all linked, but traveling a different radius, you will get binding. The drivetrain is made to handle that, but it is also why you aren't supposed to drive a 4WD (different than all wheel drive) on a hard surface- like pavement. Therefore, it can be tough to get out of 4WD, because of the binding. If you back up some, 2 or 3 feet, you will "unwind" that binding. You can also lift the front end, like suggested, which takes the binding load off the front end. Or you can back up a little, or some folks turn left and right while moving forward and putting pressure on the 4WD lever. It will probably tell you in the owners manual to move in the opposite direction while disengaging. However you do it, you will relieve the stress on the driveline, enabling you to disengage. It is a normal condition for 4WD's.
    "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ..." Romans 1:16
    Kubota B7100 HST 4WD
    94 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Tractor
    Kubota BX23

Quote Originally Posted by hodge View Post
    When you are in 4WD, the front wheels are mechanically linked to the back wheels. But, the front wheels turn left and right, so when you turn, the front wheels travel a different arc than the back. Because they are all linked, but traveling a different radius, you will get binding. The drivetrain is made to handle that, but it is also why you aren't supposed to drive a 4WD (different than all wheel drive) on a hard surface- like pavement. Therefore, it can be tough to get out of 4WD, because of the binding. If you back up some, 2 or 3 feet, you will "unwind" that binding. You can also lift the front end, like suggested, which takes the binding load off the front end. Or you can back up a little, or some folks turn left and right while moving forward and putting pressure on the 4WD lever. It will probably tell you in the owners manual to move in the opposite direction while disengaging. However you do it, you will relieve the stress on the driveline, enabling you to disengage. It is a normal condition for 4WD's.
    Ditto, Hodge said pretty much what I was going to say until I read his post.
    A Metcalf
    ametcalf
    All I need to be a better mechanic is a bigger hammer.
    2004 BX23, 72" Landpride finish mower, 48" Howse tiller, Home made brush forks, grapple, and plywood skidplate.
    Allis Chalmers 5040, 6 Bushhog, Boom pole, PHD, Box Grader, Rear Blade, 2 bottom plow
    2000 Crewcab Super Duty F250 Powerstroke Diesel 260k miles

Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Thanks, I have a snow blower attachment and a paved driveway, should I not use 4 wheel drive when I am snow blowing?

thanks

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    BX24

Only use 4WD if you need to. I rarely use mine while snow blowing even with a fairly steep hill.
    08 BX24 FEL, BH, 6l0" MMM, Kubota PTO Bagger, BX2750D snow blower with quick hitch

Silver Member
    Tractor
    BX 2200

Ditto. You will know when to use 4WD.

Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Quote Originally Posted by hodge View Post
    It will probably tell you in the owners manual to move in the opposite direction while disengaging.
    This is what I always do, but it does not mention it anywhere in the manual...
    Kyle - CompactTractorFan

Kubota BX25 w/R4's (23 hp, 17.7 PTO hp), Loader, Backhoe, 60" Mid Mount Mower, Cyclone Rake Z-10 Lawn Vacuum, CountyLine Carryall, Ferris 48" Walk-Behind Mower, Honda 21" Walk-Behind Mower, Mighty Mac 4" Chipper/Shredder,
    2000 Dodge Intrepid, 2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Nature of the beast and if you do a search on when and when not to use 4WD, settle in for a LOT of reading. I have forgotten to disengage and run on pavement with several tractors without ill effects though I wouldn't recommend it and it will wear your tires quicker.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast