B7100 Restore Project Has Begun

/ B7100 Restore Project Has Begun #1  

j t huskins

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1210 4x4 With Ford Front 3 Way Snow Blade ,Newholland TC40A 4x4 With NH 16LA FEL,Kubota B7100 4x4 With Kubota FEL Project Tractor, Ford 1210 4x4 Parts Tractor.
Began working on the B7100 that I brought home in August. The tractor had set for three+ years with the upward exhaust uncovered. I resisted the urge to just try and crank the engine before doing some investigation into possible water damage to it. Good thing I did. Even though the engine was not stuck it did have rust in no. 2&3 cylinders along with stuck rings. Some water found its way to the crank no. 3 rod and main journals which made a small rough spot on both. No. 1&3 cylinder walls have a ring groove worn at the top. I began the task of finding and pricing parts and was shocked to discover the high price of each component.Before I waste any time or money purchasing parts I will wait for the verdict from my machine shop as to whether the cylinders can be cleaned up with a .5mm bore and the crank can be turned within the under size bearing specs offered by Kubota. I have pictures but haven't figured out how to ad them to my post yet.

Attachments

• IMAG0169.jpg
    IMAG0169.jpg
    974.7 KB · Views: 1,570
  • IMG_2091.jpg
    IMG_2091.jpg
    894.6 KB · Views: 2,196
  • IMAG0168.jpg
    IMAG0168.jpg
    988.5 KB · Views: 1,273
  • IMG_2069.jpg
    IMG_2069.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 1,698
Last edited:
   / B7100 Restore Project Has Begun #2  
Keep us posted, sounds like an interesting project.

To post pictures, just hit the paper clip on the TBN post menu and find your picture folder, then upload

/ B7100 Restore Project Has Begun #3  
Good luck with the refurbish! Sounds like a major undertaking.

/ B7100 Restore Project Has Begun
Yea, i'm afraid that an undertaking might become an under statement before this is over. I can carry on with the news that the block wiil need to be re sleeved but if the crank can't be turned then the project will have to be scraped and the tractor parted out unless I can locate a good used crank that is reasonably priced.

Attachments

• IMG_2066.jpg
    IMG_2066.jpg
    435.4 KB · Views: 997
  • IMG_2074.jpg
    IMG_2074.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 858
  • IMG_2081.jpg
    IMG_2081.jpg
    890.9 KB · Views: 831
  • IMG_2067.jpg
    IMG_2067.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 1,272
   / B7100 Restore Project Has Begun #5  
Yea, i'm afraid that an undertaking might become an under statement before this is over. I can carry on with the news that the block wiil need to be re sleeved but if the crank can't be turned then the project will have to be scraped and the tractor parted out unless I can locate a good used crank that is reasonably priced.

Be careful. I have a B7100 and love it, just bought new tires for the front - $300 plus. Looks like your tires are worn in the back, pretty expensive to replace. I see B7100s offered for abouyt $5000 on Craigs list in our area. Doubt they are going for that much, especially if you don't have a loader. Hence, don't let the refurb get out of hand. Other than that they are a great, no-nonsense, all metal machine.
Mf

/ B7100 Restore Project Has Begun #6  
Good luck, JT! Keep us updated. I'm particularly interested in how your restoration goes as I am starting to dig into a newly acquired B5100D.
Jim

/ B7100 Restore Project Has Begun #7  
Looks like an interesting project. I know what it's like when looking for used engine parts, they aren't cheap. Good luck in your search! :)

/ B7100 Restore Project Has Begun #8  
I love those factory rear wheel weights. If you decide to part it out let me know.

Seroiusly; You may be able to purchase another b7100 with a better engine for less than the rebuild on yours. I see them on craigs list from time to time. You could build one from the parts of 2 then sell or keep the remaining parts for spares.
I love my B7100.-- looking for factory rear wheel weights.

/ B7100 Restore Project Has Begun
Got my head, block, and crank to the machine shop yesterday. Good news so far. The cylinders are good for a .5mm bore and the crank will just get a polish. Ordered 675.00 worth of parts from Messicks just to get the machine work going and put the bottom end back together. Thankfully I obtained this tractor very cheap on a NC sealed bid so I have a lot of room to spend before I exceed the value. Hopefully I will have a like new tractor for the same money that I would have paid retail for one then had to make repairs. As for the wheel weights, the tractor has front and rear factory weights. With the FEL being plenty of weight for the front I am considering not using the fronts if the restore continues. The tires have never been loaded with fluid so my wheels should be in good condition. Spent 4 hours washing engine parts spic and span to prepare for a restore paint job as I re assemble. Will have to get the engine going before I will know what else needs repair besides the charging system which was the reason for the tractor being taken out of service.

Last edited:
   / B7100 Restore Project Has Begun #10  
Cool thread. I have a B6100, these little orange beasts are really tough.