Gator vs Kubota RTV

/ Gator vs Kubota RTV #11  
RTV 1140 is just what I need. 2 seats carry up to 6people. POwer steering allows wife to drive and HST is smooth. Importance of Max speed depends on terrain and your needed drive distances. 25mph is faster than I need on my 200+ acres. Superb for multiple chores with a front hitch carrier rack and pulling small trailer, all loaded with tools and supplies. Pulls a 1000 gallon metal water tank trailer well in 4wd, lo range. I sent my specific needs to dealers up to 200mi away. BIG price difference several thousand below "configure yours" price with best at closest dealer.

Your needs and price will vary.

Last edited:
   / Gator vs Kubota RTV #12  
As has been discussed here many times before, the Gator's drive belt is an issue to some, including me (a Gator owner). I would buy an RTV if I was in the market for another UTV.

But, if your terrain and work has proven to mesh with the Gator's drive system, the Gators are otherwise good machines (although I was very discouraged to see that their new diesel engine is a Cherri [?] made in China).

/ Gator vs Kubota RTV
As has been discussed here many times before, the Gator's drive belt is an issue to some, including me (a Gator owner). I would buy an RTV if I was in the market for another UTV.

But, if your terrain and work has proven to mesh with the Gator's drive system, the Gators are otherwise good machines (although I was very discouraged to see that their new diesel engine is a Cherri [?] made in China).

Has the drive been a problem with the gator? Seems very simple and relatively durable. I realize the Kubota is a real work horse but for light use it just seems to be overkill.

/ Gator vs Kubota RTV #14  
Think what you want and make all the excuses you need to support the Gator. I know I made the correct choice everytime I jump into the RTV1100 and take off to go do work with it. It hauls everything I ask it to do, up hills that give everything else an extreme workout. The climate control system cannot be matched by anything else out there and I value it highly to help me accomplish the tasks that I need to get done. We got the first one they got at the dealer when they were still under appreciated and under priced. If you look at all the UTV models I think you will see that the RTV still has the best value for the money for the technology and the durability that is built into it. It is just not something that can be lumped together with the other UTVs on the market.

David Kb7uns

/ Gator vs Kubota RTV #15  
I bought a RTV1140 about a year ago.
Don't have, want or need the cab, maybe would be nice in 20 degree days:) but not much of those here in Ky.
I'm satisfied with it for the price I paid for it and it's fast enough for me, I didn't buy it for speed. It feels solid as a rock with some rattle in the bed when I have the seats down and bed extended to full size but the rattle hasn't bothered me enough to fix it.
The thing sips fuel which is good for the cost of diesel fuel.
Checked some other brands before buying the Kubota but alas I didn't buy them so I guess my preferance is apparent.
Don't have to knock or say anything bad or negative about any other brand to feel good about my purchase or to convince myself I bought the best machine for the money and my purpose. Don't have to justify my purchases to anyone but myself. After I bought mine I have never looked back:) at any of the other ones that were for sale then or are for sale now. Don't have to, doesn't matter what anyone else that doesn't own one thinks about them.
Kubota RTV1140, which I've owned about a year and am paying for at 0% interest for about 48 more months is not fast, didn't expect or want it to be fast. Bought it to be dependable and solid and it is that.:thumbsup: Still don't care about what any other brand is or does since I've already bought.

/ Gator vs Kubota RTV
Think what you want and make all the excuses you need to support the Gator. I know I made the correct choice everytime I jump into the RTV1100 and take off to go do work with it. It hauls everything I ask it to do, up hills that give everything else an extreme workout. The climate control system cannot be matched by anything else out there and I value it highly to help me accomplish the tasks that I need to get done. We got the first one they got at the dealer when they were still under appreciated and under priced. If you look at all the UTV models I think you will see that the RTV still has the best value for the money for the technology and the durability that is built into it. It is just not something that can be lumped together with the other UTVs on the market.

David Kb7uns

Did not think I was making excuses to support what I have. I am trying to get a better overall picture of the 2 units. Yes I do like my gator but I do realize it is a light cousin to the Kubota. I don' t need a workhorse like the RTV but I also hate trouble with under built equipment. What issues have people had with the belt drive system?
I have been very happy with the ease of entry and exit of the gator and wonder how the RTV is for someone with bad knees?
Just asking, did not want to stomp anybodies toes or start a scrap.:D

/ Gator vs Kubota RTV #17  
The drive belt is not a "problem" but a design flaw, IMO...

I have a 2001 Gator 6x4 diesel; the standard drive belt system (similar to what is still used today) is very poor for heavy loads on steep downhill terrain due to the tendency of the clutch system to "freewheel."

This necessitates riding the brake and accelerator simultaneously- all doable, but a far cry from the hydrostatic trans. and hill control found in the RTVs.

The Gator has been a good rig, and it was the best on the market when I bought it. Regrettably, the RTVs were introduced very soon afterwards.

/ Gator vs Kubota RTV
The drive belt is not a "problem" but a design flaw, IMO...

I have a 2001 Gator 6x4 diesel; the standard drive belt system (similar to what is still used today) is very poor for heavy loads on steep downhill terrain due to the tendency of the clutch system to "freewheel."

This necessitates riding the brake and accelerator simultaneously- all doable, but a far cry from the hydrostatic trans. and hill control found in the RTVs.

The Gator has been a good rig, and it was the best on the market when I bought it. Regrettably, the RTVs were introduced very soon afterwards.

I see what you mean. I wish I had a real use for the RTV but the gator seems to work for what I need (motorized wheel chair:laughing:)

/ Gator vs Kubota RTV #19  
My 1100 cab is 80% glass (not plastic) ...Not sure how there is better visability in a cabbed version of any other..Equal maybe, but not better.

I would say this cab is 100% glass, only excluding the top... Compared to the big paneling on the side of the RTV. I think the RTV is a fine machine and good for general purposes, but if I want a true workhorse I can get a JD TH 6x4, If I want a cheap something to just haul me around I can get a CX (which starts at just $5600!), if I want a farm vehicle to tote me around at a good speed but still do a lot of work I can get a HPX, if I want a good utility vehicle that will do a lot of work and get me where I'm going fast I can get an XUV. I'm not saying the RTV's are bad, just the Gators have them way out done for less money. One thing the RTV's are way nicer in are the cabs - RTV cabs are like a car/look factory where JD's look more aftermarket. But with that said the JD cab offers much better visibility. I would get a gator even if they costed me more because they are built a lot better, except the cab.

/ Gator vs Kubota RTV #20  
I'd stick with the gator. If you really want something new I'd go with the XUV825i. That would be Deere's "top" model to Kubota's "top" model being the RTV1100 and the 825i starts at $11,399 and RTV1100 starts at $19,740 according to the build your own's on each website. The 825i goes 44MPH, the the 1100, 25MPH, the 825i tows 1500lb, the 1100 1300lb. The 825i is a gas engine but its a 50HP gas to a 25HP diesel in the 1100. If your mind is set on a diesel though you can get the XUV855D for $12,199 and it goes 32MPH with similar specs to the 825i. If you want a cab the Deluxe cab on the Deere's offer much better visibility although the Bota's may be a little more luxurious the Deere's still offer all the same features.

I don't see how anyone in their right mind buys a RTV over a Gator/XUV unless they are just a die hard Kubota guy, but judging by your name, the RTV may be for you!:laughing:

To further the comparison....

The gator has a CHINESE built aftermarket engine, the Kubota has an industrial diesel

The gator has a rubber-band belt drive transmission, the Kubota has a hydraulic HST

The gator has a two range transmission, the Kubota has a 3 range transmission

The gator has a manual dump bed, the Kubota has a hydraulic dump bed

The gator has an optional tacked-on 3rd party cab, the Kubota comes standard with AC, heat, defrost, wiper, glass windshield, sliding side windows, radio antennae and speakers

The gator has manual steering, the Kubota comes standard with hydraulic power steering