Tractor size versus bushhog size

/ Tractor size versus bushhog size
Probably eventually a Runway for my ( future purchase of an ) airplane.... with finishing mower (3000-3500 feet)

/ Tractor size versus bushhog size #12  
There's no way I'd put a 9' Bush Hog behind a 45hp tractor. My wife has a 6' 3pt
Bush Hog for the IH 574 and the L3940 and does it does well but in heavy 12"
tall grass it will pull either one down to a degree and it has new blades. She
has a 7' pull type that works well behind the IH 686 with a turbo add-on. If
you're cutting light broom straw or thin stemmy weeds you might put a 9'
behind a 45hp tractor but unless you're planning on going about 1mph forget
it in heavy grass.

/ Tractor size versus bushhog size #13  
Probably eventually a Runway for my ( future purchase of an ) airplane.... with finishing mower (3000-3500 feet)

If your sole purchase is for mowing turf type grass I would stick with a wide cut zero turn. I had a Landpride finishing mower and once I bought a zero turn I never used it again! For large scale mowing a zero turn is the only way to go. If you are going to mow a runway with your tractor you would be better off with turf tires which limit the use of a tractor, at the very least R4's. They will still spin occasionally on turf and you don't want that on a runway. You will need a roller for the runway and you may need a tractor for that, but if that is all you are doing with it a smaller tractor with turf or R4 tires will do fine and you wouldn't need 4WD on level ground.

Last edited:
   / Tractor size versus bushhog size #14  
I've got an L4400 which is 45 HP.

I have a 6' Bush Hog (SQ172) on it and it handles it well. I would not go any bigger however.

If you want 7'-9', you'll need a much heavier tractor just to handle the weight of the mower and the additional power needed to run it. Don't go small tractor with a big mower. It's just dangerous. Check the specs on the tractor and match them to the specs recommended by the mower manufacturer.

/ Tractor size versus bushhog size #15  
If your sole purchase is for mowing turf type grass I would stick with a wide cut zero turn. I had a Landpride finishing mower and once I bought a zero turn I never used it again! For large scale mowing a zero turn is the only way to go. If you are going to mow a runway with your tractor you would be better off with turf tires which limit the use of a tractor, at the very least R4's. They will still spin occasionally on turf and you don't want that on a runway. You will need a roller for the runway and you may need a tractor for that, but if that is all you are doing with it a smaller tractor with turf or R4 tires will do fine and you wouldn't need 4WD on level ground.

If you're mowing wide open spaces I think an X700 series JD will give nearly any ZTR a run for it's money. I know a guy that uses a Bobcat ZTR and an older JD 455 with a 62" deck, he says in open spaces the JD will out mow the ZTR, but in and around trees the ZTR beats it hands down.

/ Tractor size versus bushhog size
Thats what I was considering. I have two 61" Scag ZTR and was considering if need be for an additional cutter why not use the tractor.We cut a 1100x90' **** last week I used the tractor on the relatively flat areas with the bush hog.
And ZTR on the inclines until we had to finish the slopes with trimmers. There was a little Browntop Milet on it so the ZTRs didn't cut it very easy.

/ Tractor size versus bushhog size #17  
One thing that people forget is just how big a 7' bush hog is and how much power they take. The reason being is that a 7 footer is still a single spindle cutter which makes them very long (heavy) and that really long blade takes a surprising amount of power to spin. To adequately use most 7' bush hogs you need about a 60 PTO hp tractor, weight around 7000+.

Now a 8' is more reasonable since they are a dual spindle cutter. Much shorter overall length and spinning two smaller blades actually takes less power than one 7' blade. With that said, for either of those you need to be looking at the M series tractors (not MX). Something with around 50 PTO hp minimum.

However, I doubt you'll really get any of those to pencil out a profit, unless you charge a LOT.

/ Tractor size versus bushhog size #18  
One thing that people forget is just how big a 7' bush hog is and how much power they take. The reason being is that a 7 footer is still a single spindle cutter which makes them very long (heavy) and that really long blade takes a surprising amount of power to spin. To adequately use most 7' bush hogs you need about a 60 PTO hp tractor, weight around 7000+.

Now a 8' is more reasonable since they are a dual spindle cutter. Much shorter overall length and spinning two smaller blades actually takes less power than one 7' blade. With that said, for either of those you need to be looking at the M series tractors (not MX). Something with around 50 PTO hp minimum.

However, I doubt you'll really get any of those to pencil out a profit, unless you charge a LOT.

Not entirley true.

Bushhog has a two spindle 84" cutter
Woods has an 80" two spindle.

I am sure there must be others as well.

/ Tractor size versus bushhog size #19  
the MX5100 will pull an 8ft pull type shredder with ease.an 8ft 3pt shredder is to much weight on the 3pt for my liking.i drive my mx5100 over thorn bushes an small trees.but im very careful about how i drive over them.

/ Tractor size versus bushhog size #20  
If you want to do more large area finish type work than brush hogging, might I recommend a Turf Batwing? There are several manufacturers who make them (Woods Homeowner Woods Commercial) and they will need less HP than a rough cut batwing and will leave a nicer cut.

Aaron Z