Diesel fuel summer/winter blend question

/ Diesel fuel summer/winter blend question #1  

Rfisher7381

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
Last filled my BX2360 tank in mid October. I always add Power Service which contains anti gel additive. Now the question. I'm pretty sure I must have the summer blend diesel fuel since I purchased it in mid October. I assumed I would use it up for fall yard cleanup but ended up not using the BX very much. So now we are getting into cold weather (SW Michigan) and I have a tank full of summer blend with Power Service added. Do I need to be concerned or will the anti gel in the Power Service be adequate? Thanks

/ Diesel fuel summer/winter blend question #2  
You should be fine with the PS, Im in NY and have had several machines in the same condition and never had a problem as long as I had enough PS in them.

/ Diesel fuel summer/winter blend question #3  
I think the more important question is which color of PS did you add? gray or white? ;)

/ Diesel fuel summer/winter blend question #4  
I would bet you have diesel that has at least one cut so it is not full summer. Most bulk dealers start getting reduced summer fuel in september and are at full winter fuel by the end of October.
You should be fine.:thumbsup:

/ Diesel fuel summer/winter blend question #5  
Where do you store your tractor? I live in Northern Minnesota and keep my tractor in a heated garage. I keep enough #2 diesel to last through the winter and have never had a problem using my tractor in temps to -40. The secret is the warm tractor to start with. The fuel injection system has a return to tank so fuel stays warm as long as you are running. Last winter, however, I did a lot of cleanup work for my cousin and filled my tractor from his farm tank which is #1. A difference is fuel economy goes downhill. Second thing is the lubricity of #1 is not as good as #2 so there is possibly more wear using winter fuel. The reason that might not be a problem is you have a Kubota, a Japanese tractor with a Japanese fuel injection system. Japanese diesel fuel lacks the lubricity of our #2 so their fuel injection pumps are extremely durable in low lubricity conditions. I am speaking in generalities here because of having to supply machines to Japan. When participating in a discussion with our engine division regarding lubricity and fuel injection system life (which is lower with #1), I became personally concerned because I had just purchased a new Kubota and living in a place where you get #1 from November through March, it could be a problem. The engine division people told me to forget about it - I had a Japanese engine and they make their systems to run on almost zero lubricity fuel. It is Western designs, like the one the whole worldwide meeting was about, that had the concern.

/ Diesel fuel summer/winter blend question
radioman said:
I think the more important question is which color of PS did you add? gray or white? ;)

I use the product in the white bottle. Thanks for the feedback. Looks like it will be ok.

/ Diesel fuel summer/winter blend question #7  
In our area they switch the diesel fuel in november. Just like gas they make two differant types:eek:

/ Diesel fuel summer/winter blend question #8  
Just add some kerosene to your tank,,,you can run it straight, the most cost effective way is 20-30%, your good down to zero and the low minus'

/ Diesel fuel summer/winter blend question #9  
So now we are getting into cold weather (SW Michigan) and I have a tank full of summer blend with Power Service added.
1*Do I need to be concerned or will the anti gel in the Power Service be adequate? Thanks
I just filled these 3 up with summer fuel .
I ran summer fuel in the 3 of them all last winter with out a problem .
Around here I only need winter fuel when temps drop to
below 14 degrees F.
That rarely happens around here in the winter months.
So I can get buy with whatever i have on hand be it winter or summer blend .

2*I would bet you have diesel that has at least one cut so it is not full summer.
2*This is why you don't want to just randomly go dumping Kero in the tank .
Kero is not good for a diesel as it lacks enough lubrication.

I did a lot of cleanup work for my cousin and filled my tractor from his farm tank which is #1.
1*A difference is fuel economy goes downhill.
2*Second thing is the lubricity of #1 is not as good as#2
1*But it's so slight that I can't notice it with the BXs.
2*That's because plain diesel is summer diesel with out any Kero and winter diesel is summer diesel with some Kero added to it.

1*Just like gas they make two differant types:eek:
1* Unlike gasoline there is only one type of diesel.
Your choice is plain diesel by it's self or plain diesel that has hade some Kero added to it.
1*Just add some kerosene to your tank,,,you can run it straight
1*That's a very bad Idea as there isn't enough lubricity in Kero for a diesel engine.

/ Diesel fuel summer/winter blend question #10  
I live in CT and I skip the Power Service for years...not needed....It will kill the UOA.