50 hr shock

/ 50 hr shock #1  

Anonymous Poster

I just got my 3010 back from the dealer for my 50 hr service....YIKES !!! talk about sticker shock.......I plan on doing future maint. myself, my question is ...how tough is it to do? any special problems to look out for?...Thanks in advance.....

/ 50 hr shock #2  
On my B7500HST my dealer does the 50 hour service for the price of parts, however I did mine myself, and I've took care of all them and getting ready to hit the 200 hour service in then next couple of weeks.
It's easy enough to change the oil & filter, which is the bulk of service for a while now. Keep an eye on air filters and keep them clean.

/ 50 hr shock #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( how tough is it to do )</font>

Quite simple by following the instructions in the Operator's Manual so long as you have a large enough container to catch a large quantitiy of hydraulic oil when you change that, and the proper size wrenches for the drain plugs and filters. If I did it all, I usually fooled around a couple of hours, letting all the oil drain out completely, drinking two or three cups of coffee while I was doing it, etc.

/ 50 hr shock #4  
I'll agree with Bird. I am not nearly as mechanically adept as many of you, but the service on my BX is within my ability. If you do the routine maintainence on your car (changing oil, rotating tires, checking fluids), you should have no problems with a Kubota. You will need some larger wrenches, and a 1/2" drive socket set for the best results.
Will

/ 50 hr shock #5  
Not a hard job relative to growing up changing oil, lubing, and checking things over. Knowing how to re-install filters so they won't leak, and not getting dirt in the new oil when replacing the old, etc. etc. helps a lot.

But... the fact that you felt you had to ask, is indication that you should get some buddy who knows how to avoid trouble to help you when you do it yourself.

Once you do it (with help), you may have a very different opinion of the "sticker shock" you experienced.

/ 50 hr shock #6  
Just curious, what did you pay? If it was in the ball park of around $200.00 then you did fine by having the dealer do it. The oil alone is around $100.00 and it really isn't a job for guys who are not that familiar with doing their own maintenance. I change my own car oil and the oil on my two other tractors (old FarmAll H and a Massey 50) but the new one goes to the dealer.

Here's a link to a previous 50hr thread

Service $

/ 50 hr shock #7  
If they did everything, it should have cost around $400 for the 12 gallons of super UDT, hst filter, hydraulic filter, oil, oil filter, and labor. On a 3010 it takes a good 3 hours. It isn't hard if you allow enough time to do it, can catch and dispose of over 13 gallons of oil, and have the proper metric wrenches to do the job. Look at it this way, you won't have this big one again until 400 hours.

/ 50 hr shock #8  
i did my L3000dt and i think it cost about $130 in oil and filters. a few five gallon buckets of which you may want to modify to better get under those drains in your rear axle. and some to store all used fluids until you can get them to the recycling center.

now i posted some threads on finding wix filters . but if you can't find them go to wix's website and cross reference your part number with theres and you can buy at a local parts store.
i also found that baldwin makes a air filter thats about a 1/3rd of the kubota price.

the only kubota stuff i want is UDT.

/ 50 hr shock #9  
Servicing your tractor is easier than working on a car, IMHO. I just did my 400 hour service myself and it is really mostly a matter of keeping all the oil under control - there's a lot of it.

If you are going to do it yourself, especially if you aren't quite comfortable with it, make sure you order the workshop manual for your tractor from your Kubota dealer. It is pretty detailed and has step by step instructions on doing pretty much everything.

/ 50 hr shock #10  
It is easy to do the service, if you have a couple 3-4 hours to spare. The biggest deal I found about it, is having to drain the large quantities of oil. Your tractor is bigger than mine, so you probably have even more(my B8200 holds about 5 gallons of hydrualic fluid, 3qts engine oil).