HST whine

/ HST whine #1  

tjwoody

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota bx 2360
This isn't a complaint or a problem looking for a solution, just an observation. I just had a front end loader put on my BX2360. I made the mistake of not buying it with the tractor, but that's another story. Anyway, back to the point, HST whine - I didn't have any noticeable until i had the FEL installed. It is now quite noticeable. The tractor is new - 6.5 hours before the need to mow subsided. Anyway I was wondering if the presence of the FEL is the common thread (pun intended) tying together HST whine on them. Food for thought.

Last edited:
   / HST whine #2  
Not long ago another member discovered the whine was significantly reduced when he removed his roll over bar. Basically the whine and vibration was amplified by the extra metal of the bars. You might have a similar problem.

/ HST whine
I read that thread with interest. I'm thinking that a lot has to do with the extra work being placed on the hydraulics (FEL plus extra weight on the 3 point hitch). Like I said, not a complaint, just an observation.

/ HST whine #4  
You'll come to really appreciate that FEL :D
That FEL is adding approx 400lbs of additional weight and that alone can cause some whine when travelling in high.
Also, to plumb the FEL in correctly, the tech would have had to run solid lines from the hydraulic block (on HST behind the right rear wheel) up to the controller and "series" it in to the 3PH hydraulic circuit. Theres all kinds of places in that new setup where working hydraulic fluid sounds can get amplified.

How does it sound w/the FEL dismounted? If the whine subsides it's probably the added weight, if hte change is barely noticable it's probably being amplified by the additional lines etc.

Keep an eye on it, mainly check for any leaks, otherwise thats one very handy implement you'll find many uses for :D

Dave

/ HST whine #5  
The weight only has a minor part to play, mostly at high load in high range going up hill. The big part is the metal bolted directly to the transmission case is like a big tuning fork transmitting the vibrations. The operator platform is rubber isolation block mounted so is fairly quiet.

/ HST whine
I had the FEL added after I bought the BX2360. Before FEL no whine, after HST whine. It doesn't really bother me, it's really just an observation. My semi-educated opinion is that the whine comes from the added work the hydraulic pumps are doing, namely FEL + rear PTO raised with 500 lbs. +\- of rototiller. Extra work on the hydraulics at both ends. And, yes, it's more than likely that the ROPS transfers and amplifies the whine. Just a sweet reminder that I'm on my tractor getting some more seat time. :)

/ HST whine #7  
I had the FEL added after I bought the BX2360. Before FEL no whine, after HST whine. It doesn't really bother me, it's really just an observation. My semi-educated opinion is that the whine comes from the added work the hydraulic pumps are doing, namely FEL + rear PTO raised with 500 lbs. +- of rototiller. Extra work on the hydraulics at both ends. And, yes, it's more than likely that the ROPS transfers and amplifies the whine. Just a sweet reminder that I'm on my tractor getting some more seat time. :)

Heres my thoughts. The HST hydraulics are independent and self contained inside the HST. They have nothing to do with the FEL/3 point pump which is (usually) fitted near the front of the engine. The pto also has nothing to do with the HST as it is powered by a separate transmission shaft that runs from the clutch to the pto and bypasses the HST (although it does run 'through' the HST).

The only extra load that your FEL is putting on the HST is the minimal extra effort it takes to move it from A to B. The rototiller (when down) would require much more effort, but it doesn't create a whine does it?

So, the whine was always there but is now being amplified by the structure of FEL.