L3240 vs. 6.5' disc

/ L3240 vs. 6.5' disc #1  

Shooter45

Bronze Member
Hope this is the appropriate forum.
I found a really good deal on a used king kutter 20 20" blade 6.5' disc. Do you guys think the L3240 is up to the task of pulling this disc? It would mostly just be used for my 1 acre garden and then several food plots in the fall.

/ L3240 vs. 6.5' disc #2  
Hope this is the appropriate forum.
I found a really good deal on a used king kutter 20 20" blade 6.5' disc. Do you guys think the L3240 is up to the task of pulling this disc? It would mostly just be used for my 1 acre garden and then several food plots in the fall.

I think the deals are getting better on used disc,cause Tillers. With the Tiller can really get those gardens turned over with less passes. Same goes with the food plots,also the Tiller really works good on hog roots unlike the disc. The disc are bulky to get into smaller gardens were maybe the Tiller is better cause not using the tractor speed as with the disc but just the pto speed. Just my suggestion..But to reply to your question gonna depend on what type of soil and how agressive you have your disc set,if you have to work multipul passes once the soil gets loose tractor mite spin trying to pull 6.5'.Just my 2cents

/ L3240 vs. 6.5' disc #3  
i say look into getting a tiller insted of a disc.

/ L3240 vs. 6.5' disc
Having a tiller for the garden would be great but a lot of our food plots have some stumps that are hidden right under the soil.

/ L3240 vs. 6.5' disc #5  
Having a tiller for the garden would be great but a lot of our food plots have some stumps that are hidden right under the soil.

Stumps, rocks and roots won't be an issue if you get a tiller with a slip clutch instead of shear bolts. You will have much better luck, results and practical uses with a tiller. I use a Woods 6' reverse rotation tiller with a slip clutch on my L3940. I'll never use a disc unless I need to turn acres and acres of soil. I use my tiller on a 1 acre food plot for deer. :thumbsup:

/ L3240 vs. 6.5' disc #6  
Does it have alot of stumps or just a few? I have hit stumps with mine(never hurt anything),if I know there mite be some out there and kinda know the area were they are I just idle down some. You dont have power down(3point) so it will just jump around some and can pick up(3pt) some until you get over it. I sometimes just put my tractor in neutral and let the Tiller push it along and it will just ride over the stump pretty easy(without the rodeo):D....
5040&tiller.jpg

/ L3240 vs. 6.5' disc #7  
We have just about stopped using our disks as they are not heavy enough to tear the ground up without using a moldboard plow in advance and a good heavy duty disk is going to cost you about as much as a tiller.

/ L3240 vs. 6.5' disc #8  
As mentioned earlier, you MIGHT have enough power.. is it a single set of discs or a double? I have a single set of 8 foot wide discs for my L3400, and I can say for sure it would not be able to cope with a double set, and may have trouble with the single set if set too aggressively.

You'll probably want a mouldboard plow too, as Triple R mentioned. Most small discs don't have enough weight unless the soil's already been worked.

Sean

/ L3240 vs. 6.5' disc
As mentioned earlier, you MIGHT have enough power.. is it a single set of discs or a double? I have a single set of 8 foot wide discs for my L3400, and I can say for sure it would not be able to cope with a double set, and may have trouble with the single set if set too aggressively.

You'll probably want a mouldboard plow too, as Triple R mentioned. Most small discs don't have enough weight unless the soil's already been worked.

Sean

It's a tandem disc. I have about decided to just get a 5.6' disc and be done with it.

/ L3240 vs. 6.5' disc #10  
It's a tandem disc. I have about decided to just get a 5.6' disc and be done with it.

It'd be nice to hear from other owners with about the same HP and disc size... I haven't used mine much at all yet, but I know the Kubota has it's hands full with the single 8 foot. Mine is a tow-behind type I converted to a 3-point mount. It was originally a tandem, but I had never used it.

I still have the second set, I'll probably keep it for spare parts.

Sean