Rust getting bad all over my Kubota

/ Rust getting bad all over my Kubota #1  

krackerjack9

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4400
Ok I admit Im a pretty big fan of Kubota tractors and I had L3400 then traded it in and got a L4400 back in 08. Well its been great I got about 650 something hours on it. Everything works to my expectations and power is great for what I due.

The thing that is starting to bother me is rust starthing show up all over the fenders. Anyplace where a panel is bolted to another panel is like a cancer that is just spreading up and down the seams.

I will have to add some photos. I just can see how in 4yrs all this rust would be starting to take over all my fenders. Yes the tractor sits outside but my Grandfather had 1960 something Alis Chalmers tractor and it didnt have the type of rust I got.

Last edited:
   / Rust getting bad all over my Kubota #2  
Do you get any salt on it? They use salt on the roads here and on the rare occasions that I use my FEL out by the street I notice the tractor has that white salt dust all over it when it dries. The other thing I think can be a problem is washing it too much, especially with a pressure washer. It's easy to force water into places that don't drain well, that might be a problem. Although I'd have to say I'm surprised it's happening where you describe. I would have expected welds to rust first.

/ Rust getting bad all over my Kubota #3  
Do you get any salt on it? They use salt on the roads here and on the rare occasions that I use my FEL out by the street I notice the tractor has that white salt dust all over it when it dries. The other thing I think can be a problem is washing it too much, especially with a pressure washer. It's easy to force water into places that don't drain well, that might be a problem. Although I'd have to say I'm surprised it's happening where you describe. I would have expected welds to rust first.

Wash??? What is this wash of which you speak? My 1985 tractor is coated in a protective layer of grime; most likely a combination of diesel, motor oil and dust. No rust anywhere! :thumbsup::D

Joe

/ Rust getting bad all over my Kubota #4  
In addition to salt, it Could also be a mineral in the dirt in your area as well.

/ Rust getting bad all over my Kubota #5  
For the price of these tractors they should never rust. That's one decent thing some of these JD's have. Plastic of some sort, fenders and hoods. I know that drives people who have steel fenders and hoods nuts, but it seems to work.

One thing I noticed in my snow-birding days to southern Florida, almost everything seems to rust. I was only down there for 4-5 months a year for 7 years but I had chrome chairs and chrome tools and many black impact sockets, pliers and wrenches that just turn to rust from being in the salt air, I am assuming. And they were in the box in the back of the truck or under cover all the time. The chrome bumpers on my truck didn't rust; possibly it had thicker chrome.

I would have thought your fenders and hoods would be powder coated and it surely should not have rusted, unless the prep was faulty.

/ Rust getting bad all over my Kubota #6  
krackerjack9 Said: > The thing that is starting to bother me is rust starthing show up all over the fenders.

Me Too, I have a 2oo5 L28oo Kub. She leads a sheltered life n only has 16o hours on her now.

Take a peek at the cancer/rust she has going on below.

Attachments

• photo-28.JPG
    photo-28.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,195
  • photo-27.JPG
    photo-27.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 1,082
   / Rust getting bad all over my Kubota #7  
Ok I admit Im a pretty big fan of Kubota tractors and I had L3400 then traded it in and got a L4400 back in 08. Well its been great I got about 650 something hours on it. Everything works to my expectations and power is great for what I due.

The thing that is starting to bother me is rust starthing show up all over the fenders. Anyplace where a panel is bolted to another panel is like a cancer that is just spreading up and down the seams.

I will have to add some photos. I just can see how in 4yrs all this rust would be starting to take over all my fenders. Yes the tractor sits outside but my Grandfather had 1960 something Alis Chalmers tractor and it didnt have the type of rust I got.

I have a 2003, L3000 DT Kubota and it has always been garage kept and I have one fender that like you said where a panel is bolted to another panel is bubbling the paint right at the seems of where the two panels meet. Unlike the steel of the older tractors, It's thiner and cheeper steel and probably only happens in humid climates, must be a problem with Kubota's

/ Rust getting bad all over my Kubota #8  
krackerjack9 Said: > The thing that is starting to bother me is rust starthing show up all over the fenders.

Me Too, I have a 2oo5 L28oo Kub. She leads a sheltered life n only has 16o hours on her now.

Take a peek at the cancer/rust she has going on below.

Everyone so far is blaming the rust on salt, too many powerwashings etc.

Let's be honest...the manufacturers are using cheap paint/subquality materials. It is as simple as that. We live in a throwaway culture today and the manufactuerers of ALL goods know it.

My neighbor has an early 60's Oliver and granted it has been barned it entire working life there is very little rust on it.

I see new tractors 4-6 years old and can't believe the amount of rust.

/ Rust getting bad all over my Kubota #9  
Our old BX2200 lives out in the elements and has for the past 3 1/2 years and it isn't rusting; don't know why.

/ Rust getting bad all over my Kubota #10  
My L5030HSTC spends all winter travelling on salty roads, its a 2003 and the seams are just starting to rust now. Doing better than my truck!