Which linear actuator for BX2750D

/ Which linear actuator for BX2750D #1  

dsmiley

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25
I'm planning to install a linear actuator on my snow blower chute deflector and it looks like a 4" stroke will work but was wondering what "load capacity" I should use. I hate "overkill" when building things even though I've been guilty of it all my life so I'm looking for the lowest rating that will function properly. There is one rated for 8 lb. (twice that for a static load) at this site which looks good but I wonder if it would handle the load. Please weigh in. Thanks.

Dean

/ Which linear actuator for BX2750D #2  
Dean,

You may want to look at what is available at the Surplus Center (an advertiser here). I installed an actuator similar to this one Surplus Center - 7.87" STROKE 107 LB. 12 VDC LINEAR ACTUATOR on my BX2750C. I've been running it for two years and so far it has worked very well. From other members it looks like they have also gone this route. You can also pick up the relay and switch that you will need from this supplier.

Good luck.

/ Which linear actuator for BX2750D
Thanks, Minnebota. I checked it out and I think that's what I'll use only with a shorter stroke. I'll be ordering tomorrow.

/ Which linear actuator for BX2750D #4  
The only problem with the actuator from Surplus Center is that it is only rated IP54, which means that it is not waterproof. I have a Kubota one (got it surplus new on eBay) which is fully sealed. There will be plenty of snow accumulating on the actuator, which will result in water and possible water infiltration in the end.

paul

/ Which linear actuator for BX2750D #5  
Wondering if mounting it upside down would be helpful. Seems like that might keep moisture from migrating down from around the shaft.

/ Which linear actuator for BX2750D
I thought about mounting it upside down but then I found these from another post. For a few dollars more you can get waterproof. Techman had a good point. Going back to my original post of what capacity to get, I found where someone used a 15 pound actuator, but also found that there's not a lot of dimensional difference between a 15 pound and a 110 pound actuator so I'll probably go with the heavier duty unit (don't want to spoil my perfect record of always over-building). Thanks, guys, for weighing in.