Kubota stops when I turn steering wheel

/ Kubota stops when I turn steering wheel #1  

dxtrcatl

Tractor
kubota L-2850
I have an L-2750 with a problem that's driving me nuts! While driving the tractor at slow speeds, the tractor will stop moving if I turn the steering wheel all the way to the left or right. This happens whether I am going forward or backward. As I reach the end of the turning motion of the steering wheel, the movement of the tractor slows to a stop, yet the engine is still running. When this happens, I depress the clutch, start to straighten out from the turning motion and then when I release the clutch, the tractor moves as it is supposed to do. I have checked the free-play on my clutch and it is within specs.

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

/ Kubota stops when I turn steering wheel #2  
I have an L-2250 Kubota, similiar but smaller. Try jacking it up so all 4 wheels are of the ground, and repeat your F/ R/L testing. This might show something because you then can walk around the machine and not have to worry about getting run over.
?????????

Craig Clayton

/ Kubota stops when I turn steering wheel #3  
I don't know your tractor (which might be evident shortly) but if it has power steering, and you max it out, the excess pressure goes to the relief valve leaving nothing to run the HST. This is assuming, A) you have power steering B) you have HST.

If it's gear and you come to a stop... I'm at a loss except if something is catching and engaging the clutch for you. That's weird. :confused2: Hopefully, someone will figure it out....

/ Kubota stops when I turn steering wheel
teg,

thanks for the input to my question. yes, I have power steering, but what is HST?

/ Kubota stops when I turn steering wheel #5  
HST is Hydrostatic transmission as compared to a manual where you have to use the clutch to change gears.

/ Kubota stops when I turn steering wheel #6  
When you say "driving the tractor at slow speeds," what RPM is the engine running at? Does the problem manifest itself when "driving at faster speeds"?

It may well be that, at low RPMs, the power steering draw on the fluid pressure/flow overcomes what's available to the transmission when you turn the steering wheel to its limits- like what teg said.

Whether that's normal or not, I don't know.

(EDIT: another thought-- Unless, assuming it's a hydrsostatic transmission, you're pressing the go-pedal all the way down but running the engine at low RPM for "low speed," instead of running the engine at a normal speed and pressing the drive pedal down only enough to get a low speed....? If that's the case, yes, I'd expect the tractor to stop moving when the power steering is at the stops.)

Last edited:
   / Kubota stops when I turn steering wheel #7  
So the tractor has gears vs. a hydrostatic transmission... When you steer until you hit the end of travel and the tractor starts to slow down, does the engine sound like it's "loading" / straining or does the engine sound like it's just normal?

Wild, uneducated guess (since I don't have anything else for you:eek:) Some of these tractors turn pretty darn sharp. Maybe your does it to the point of 90* where it would block / stop forward movement? And the transmission is just slipping?

Also, the kubota website doesn't have a listing for L2750 only a L275

/ Kubota stops when I turn steering wheel #8  
Hi,

My L275DT has a similar problem. Under high load and mostly at steering turn it sometimes stops moving, as if the clutch would slip.
Did you find out the reason of the problem?

Best regards,
Dieter