Snow Snow removal with BX2200

/ Snow removal with BX2200 #1  

Tim_in_NH

Well we’ve had quite a winter in the northeast so I assume you guys around here (and other places too, I’m sure!) have had lots of practice refining you snow removal skills. I have a BX2200 on order (should be in by 4/18) so I figured I’d get some tips for next year while it’s still fresh in your minds.

I have a 1200’ +/- newly paved driveway and a few small (4 car) parking areas to clear. My thoughts (correct me if I’m wrong) are to make my first pass down the middle with the FEL pushing/scraping and a 60” back blade angled to one side to push what rolls off the side of the FEL. Then the pass back up (my driveway is on a hill), use just the back blade to push the snow off the opposite side. The only potential problem I see is that I’ll inevitably be driving over some snow before the rear blade gets to it. With this pack down the snow too much for the blade to be able to scrape up? Will this method damage the new pavement? I’m not really interested (at least for now) in a snow thrower or a front blade and I’d prefer to not have to drive backwards. I haven’t purchased any attachments yet so if the consensus is that the FEL/rear blade combo won’t cut it, I may rethink purchasing the rear blade.

FYI, I’m getting filled bar tires with the tractor.

Thanks in advance for any/all advice and suggestions. This is a great site and has been an invaluable source of information while making my decision.

-Tim

/ Snow removal with BX2200 #2  
Tim:

One passing comment. I have a BX22 and had bought the Kubota front mount snowblower. This winter, as we all know, provided a good workout for the combo. I was very pleased at how well and quickly I was able to clear my 2200' driveway.

About 4 weeks ago, I took off the blower and remounted the FEL and BH, thinking that the season was over, 70 degree weather and all. I actually did it when I did so that I could use the FEL to clear a large area of accumulated ice in a parking area.

Well this week we got a surprise 6" of snow. I was not up for swapping the impliments, so I decided to just clear the snow with the FEL. Compared to the blower, it was quite a time consuming task (although I did get a lot of FEL practice). All I can say is that given the two options, the snowblower wins hands down for speed and ease. If you have any extra cash, buy a blower, you won't be disappointed.

paul

/ Snow removal with BX2200 #3  
For that size driveway, get a front blade or snowthrower. In the long run you'll be happy. I have about 200' total driveway (U shaped). The loader is useless on the gravel. Good for stacking the snow afterward.

You can get skid shoes for some rear blades. A snowblower or front blade should come with them. If you are worried about scratching your pavement, you could adapt a piece of urethane or rubber as the cutting edge for a plow.

Don't get me wrong, the rear blade will function (works better if you drive backwards in deep snow). But the front setup is better. Kind of like trying to use a sabre saw to cut a straight line. You can do it, if you take the time to clamp a fence on the workpiece and its quicker than a hand saw, but a table saw is a heck of alot faster.

Any way is better than shoveling.

/ Snow removal with BX2200 #4  
Tim,
I have used the BX2200 FEL to keep my drive clear since the beginning of March. I have a 300ft paved drive.
The FEL is fun but time consuming. The biggest snow was only about 8 inches. I drive down the center and veer off to the side once the bucket fills . Then I backup and go to the center and go again. Not elegant but it works. I drive over snow alot but the bucket in float will still pick up the compressed tire tracks.

/ Snow removal with BX2200 #5  
Tim,
Thats really a good size driveway. As others have said, plowing is tough with the FEL. If you don't want to spend the money on a blower the rear blade is the way to go though on a paved drive I think loaded turf tires will be much better than the bars. Don' worry about driving over the snow thats in front of the blade. But believe it or not you have to be careful plowing down hill that you don't build up enough snow on the blade that you lose forward traction and then can't back up either. having to shovel your tractor out is really /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Snow removal with BX2200 #6  
I used a front mounted snowblower and found it to be excellent in clearing my 300' gravel/sand drive. Until the ground froze I used a front blade to move snow around. With the quick mount sub frame I can switch from front blade to front snowblower in two minutes....for real! You might want to look into both the blade and the snowblower.
Smile, spring is coming....should be here about July 4 along with the black flies!

/ Snow removal with BX2200 #7  
I do alot of plowing with the FEL, and it does ok for me on 300' of gravel. If your drive is pavement in good condition, I think you should reconsider a blower. When I get a liitle too aggressive with the FEL, I move some stones onto the lawn, or gouge a piece of turf up. With pavement, I would hate to think of the possibilities of tearing it up. I know that if I ever pave my driveway, a blower will be included in my cost analysis.
Will

/ Snow removal with BX2200 #8  
I took the blower off the Simplicity last week.

Then 6" of the white stuff came....

Here's what 660' @ 6" looks like to do with the FEL...

Attachments

• 254055-snowdrive.jpg
    254055-snowdrive.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 495
   / Snow removal with BX2200 #9  
Hi All,

I have a 1000' crush driveway that I currently blow with a Sears garden tractor. Surprisingly it has done a great job over the last 6 years up here in Syracuse, NY. Normally get about 120" a year. But I look forward to a little more power when my 7800 shows up.

To my point. I talked to some guys that have long driveways up here and have Botas. They recomended going with a rear blower and keeping the FEL on for moving the stuff at the end of the road, etc. Don't know if the BX can get a rear mount, but it is usually cheaper than a front mount.

I was concerned that riding backwards and looking over the shoulder would be a pain, but everyone I talked to said it is not a problem and the inconvenience is out weighed by having the FEL for a little extra weight and to tackle the wet messy stuff.

Hope this helps,

Frank /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Snow removal with BX2200 #10  
I do my 1000' foot gravel drive with a rear blade and I am tire of looking backwards. I have the blade so that it faces forward (like it would for summer use) and I drive forward.

Overall, the blade does a good job. But when the snow is especially wet, it packs against the blade instead of being cast off to the side. When that happens, the tractor starts to be pushed sideways by the snow. Again, that only happens when the snow is real deep and/or real wet (so it's not much of a problem).

IMHO, a rear blade can work just fine, without much looking over your shoulder IF most of the work is simple. But, I have found that as soon as clearing a parking area is required, a rear blade becomes more cumbersome. And, looking over my shoulder occurs more often and becomes more of a bother. Since I have 3 parking areas and lots of "close quarters", using a rear blade is a more difficult method. Not to mention hard on my neck. Looking backwards 80% of the time (over an hour) just where's me out.

I'm presently designing a method of adapting a 72" truck plow to the FEL or directly to the tractor frame.