High pressure hydraulic line

/ High pressure hydraulic line #1  

apate

Tractor
Kubota B2400
I just had a high pressure hydraulic line rupture on my kubota b2400. Anyone else have this happen? If so, is there anything I need to know special to replace it, I am assuming that I just need to replace the line and then refill and bleed the hydraulics. Is there a "best" way to do this? Is there any place that you guys recommend purchsing parts on the internet? Do you guys recommend purchasing a repair manual for this task, seems simple enough. I am mechanically inclined and comfortable with turning a wrench. I appreciate any comments, thanks in advance.

/ High pressure hydraulic line #2  
Huh, don't think I've ever seen that mentioned around here, but it does happen. Did it to a forklift at a place I used to work and all they did was put a new line in. Didn't seem like too big of a deal (I was doing my best not to get dragged in to that mess /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif).

Just make sure you don't get in the way of a leak. Hydraulic fluid can cause nasty stuff (like gangrene) if it is injected, which can happen with a small, high pressure leak. Use a peice of cardboard to see where the leak is - not your hand.

Anyway, the system should "self bleed" as it is used (at least it does on mine). Just keep an eye on your fluid level - as air is expelled from the system the fluid level will drop.

/ High pressure hydraulic line #3  
I assume you're talking about a hydraulic hose. If so, just take it off and many tractor dealers and some auto parts stores, farmers co-ops, etc. can very quickly make a new one the same size. Just put it on, check the hydraulic oil to see that it isn't low, top it off if necessary, start the engine, cycle the hydraulics and go about your business. No "bleeding" to worry about. If you've never changed one yourself, one thing that some of us (well . . , me anyway) would have thought is that it should be really tight to handle the pressure and that isn't the case. Don't overdo it. And as already stated, don't get in the way of a high pressure leak. Check for leaks with a mirror, small piece of cardboard, or something similar; not your hand.

/ High pressure hydraulic line #4  
Apate,
Make sure of what type of hose it is. Rubber covered hydraulic hoses are available as 1 wire (100R1) and two wire (100R2) hoses. The wire is the braid used to handle the pressure requirements of the system its used on. The 100R2 hose has a higher pressure rating. You can use a 2 wire braid 100R2 hose in place of a 100R1 hose but not vice versa.
Good luck!
DaveL
OOPS! Forgot to mention: Burden Surplus center has a good assortment of hydraulic components and pre-made hoses. I don't know how to attach the link but it should come up on your search engine if you type in surplus center.

/ High pressure hydraulic line #6  
Depending where the hose is plugged into ,t here is pipe thread & O-ring ends. Be sure to match up the same kind, they are not interchangable. Most likely you'll have pipe thread, but....

If it ruptured open & _all_ your oil shot out, you may need to reprime your hydraulic pump. It is unlikely things got that far. The hose & hyd cylinders you don't need to 'prime', just extend & retract a few times to cycle the air out.

It used to be that you should _not_ use pipe dope or Teflon tape on hyd fittings. In the past decade I see a lot of dealers & 'experts' using tape. I guess I probably wouldn't, but if you do be very, very sure not to get any tape into the hyd system. It is just plain bad if it's in there. Leave a thread or 2 on the end bare, so nothing works into the system. I'd not use anything at all.

--->Paul

/ High pressure hydraulic line
Thanks for all the help guys, it has been a help. Here are a few photos to help clarify and for those interested to see what a mess I got myself into. Actually, I am really getting to know my tractor.

This first photo shows the foot plate removed and the green dashes and arrow indicate the steel hydraulic line that ruptured.

Attachments

• 254765-Kub repair -04 copy.jpg
    254765-Kub repair -04 copy.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 790
Here is a photo taken from the top looking down over the right rear axle. There is the "banjo" fitting that is welded to the high pressure line leading to the front of the tractor. You can't see the rupture, it is actually on the bottom side of the line. I can only guess that it was caused by a poor weld or weakened area in the line at the weld. There is no evidence of abuse, or something striking the line. Just one in a million chance that it ruptured. (don't I feel lucky!)

Attachments

• 254768-Kub repair -01 copy.jpg
    254768-Kub repair -01 copy.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 472
Here the line comes into a double banjo fitting which the hydraulic block for the FEL lines are attached. The bad hydraulic line continues on from here and attaches to the hydraulic pump, shown in the next photo.

Attachments

• 254770-Kub repair -02 copy.jpg
    254770-Kub repair -02 copy.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 845
So here, we finally end up at the hydraulic pump. This is one single line, one piece with two banjo fittings welded in. If the kubota dealer got it right from my description, it is a $95 part and will take me 4 - 5 days to get. I have left the line on until I get the new one since the tractor is stuck outside and rain is in the forcast. I have to remove all the linkages for the HST forward and reverse pedal, the brakes, hoses for the FEL and return hose for the transmission. Well, wish me luck, and if anyone has any suggestions after seeing the photos, feel free to throw in your two cents, I more than open to any advise. The line gets here Thursday I hope.

Attachments

• 254773-Kub repair -03 copy.jpg
    254773-Kub repair -03 copy.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 747