front wheel drive problem

/ front wheel drive problem #1  

maddog69

Tractor
Kubota BX 2200 in Pa. Kubota Bx 1870 Fl.
Hello! My drive shaft keeps shearing the split rolled pin (about one a year) on the front wheel drive shaft. I read a similar post and the gentleman simply replaced it with a bolt. Would this work or would I need to have the protection of a sheer pin? Thanks! Brad

/ front wheel drive problem #2  
Are you keeping it in 4wd all the time and/or on hard ground?

/ front wheel drive problem #3  
Hello! My drive shaft keeps shearing the split rolled pin (about one a year) on the front wheel drive shaft. I read a similar post and the gentleman simply replaced it with a bolt. Would this work or would I need to have the protection of a sheer pin? Thanks! Brad

The shear pin is there for a reason. the weakest link breaks first. Install a hard bolt and what is the weakest link now? Gears, u-joints, etc..

/ front wheel drive problem #4  
Shearing that pin once a year is not normal, on my BX23 with over 1200 hours I have sheared only one and just found the spline shaft was dry and dirty so cleaned and lube replace with new shear pin. I would not chance breaking the shaft with a bolt.
All that pin is doing is keeping the universal joint on the spline. Have you taken it off and checked the joint for cracks or maybe even warn out bearings. Is the right size roll pin being used or like me make sure the shaft slides easily. Have you lifted the front end up and checked it in four wheel drive by spinning the wheels by hand while moving the front end to see if you can hear or see any thing wrong.

/ front wheel drive problem
I do keep the tractor in 4 wheel drive ALL the time as I never take my loader off and I'm in the woods a lot. The shaft is dry, guess I will grease it and hope it makes a difference. I use my loader all the time and I think every time I broke one I was digging in gravel........Thanks for the responses!

/ front wheel drive problem #6  
Is there a reason you keep it in 4wd all the time? 4x4 will have you problems if run on hard/dry areas. Something has to give

/ front wheel drive problem
Yes, the loader is front heavy and my back tires spin so I leave it in 4wd.

/ front wheel drive problem #8  

you might consider more ballast on the 3pt when doing loader work. Many threads on here about using ballast on the rear. for instance I have 750 lbs on my 3pt and fluid loaded tires on the rear. I do use 4wd almost all the time also, but I am on gravel or dirt most of the time. 90% of my work is loader work. But if you are spinning a lot on the rears then you do not have proper ballast on the rear to "unload" or remove weight on the front tires.

James K0UA

/ front wheel drive problem #9  
You should have a heavy counterweight on the back of the tractor... When I dig in gravel, all four tires will spin. You don't want ONLY the front tires doing all the work...

Also, when I spin all four tires... it's usually because I'm not digging AND lifting at the same time. There is an art to loading up a full bucket...

On Edit... I took one second to pet the dog and James beat me to the punch!!!!

/ front wheel drive problem #10  
Teg, do great minds think alike:)

James K0UA