b2920 running cold

/ b2920 running cold #1  

taos

Bronze Member
Tractor
kubota b2920
I warm up engine aprox 5 minutes ,(at idle)and then mouve it out of garage and run it at fast idle aprox 1 minute , then drive around back to start working and i notice even after running for aprox 15minutes the temp gauge stays cold,I was wondering if anybody else had the same problem (gauge reads low) i'm supecting thermostat, I will check it later with my non contact thermo gun, oh the temp outside is aprox 20 f or -08 celcius

/ b2920 running cold #2  
What the rad. mix..50/50?

/ b2920 running cold
yes the coolant mix is 50% antifreeze and 50 %water

/ b2920 running cold #4  
This is not unusual at all. Every diesel tractor that I've used remains cold unless you really work it.

/ b2920 running cold #5  
Two things....one, kubotas are notoriously overcooled. This is so the hydraulic systems will be cooled properly when working in 90 degree temperatures. Two, those temperature gauges aren't highly accurate. Very common to all kubotas for the temperature gauges to show cold unless worked hard, and even then it won't show as warm as you would think.

/ b2920 running cold #6  
My BX 1500 does the same thing, even after running the mower the temp gauge stays near the bottom (it does move up a little).
I pointed my infrared heat gun/sensor at the thermostat housing and it read about 160. Some parts of the engine block read about 110 and if I recall, the surface temp of the oil filter was about 110 also. The outside air temp was around 45 or 50.
I will not worry anout this for now, but in the spring I will probably change the thermostat and see what happens.

/ b2920 running cold #7  
When it is far below freezing (0F / -18C) they need about 15-20 min of running at around 1500 rpm to warm the engine properly. In my experience in real cold temps the hydraulic oil does not warm properly until the machine ran about 30 minutes.

/ b2920 running cold #8  
My B2620 warms up to just above the cold mark for regular work. When i mow in the summer, it barely gets to half on the hottest days. And that is after a good half hour of hard mowing.

/ b2920 running cold #9  
This is not unusual at all. Every diesel tractor that I've used remains cold unless you really work it.

Two things....one, kubotas are notoriously overcooled. This is so the hydraulic systems will be cooled properly when working in 90 degree temperatures. Two, those temperature gauges aren't highly accurate. Very common to all kubotas for the temperature gauges to show cold unless worked hard, and even then it won't show as warm as you would think.

My BX 1500 does the same thing, even after running the mower the temp gauge stays near the bottom (it does move up a little).
I pointed my infrared heat gun/sensor at the thermostat housing and it read about 160. Some parts of the engine block read about 110 and if I recall, the surface temp of the oil filter was about 110 also. The outside air temp was around 45 or 50.
I will not worry anout this for now, but in the spring I will probably change the thermostat and see what happens.
What bothers me about this is what if the engine is really overheating but the temperature gage is showing normal or cold?

/ b2920 running cold #10  
Valid point.