Dealer's not what they used to be

/ Dealer's not what they used to be #1  

Kubota 2007

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4740,B3030,ZD326, RTV 900,L4200 1120RTV
Years ago when I purchased a Kubota tractor, I always received a calendar, and a Christmas Card thanking me for the business, back then a tractor was under $20,000. This year I spent over $40,000 and not a Christmas Card, nothing. I guess this is the changing times and the different generations running business's.

/ Dealer's not what they used to be #2  
I guess it varies from dealer to dealer. Maybe some see it as a cost, others as an opportunity. I bought an RTV-500 in March and was surprised to get a Christmas card from the dealer (also 2 nice hats at time of purchase). I've dropped a lot more cash at other dealers (cars, trucks, tractors) and, like you, never heard from them again. Fort Equipment Ltd. in Amherst, Nova Scotia seems to value their customers.

/ Dealer's not what they used to be #3  
My wife purchased a Hyundai accent in June 2006...

Christmas card every Christmas since then!

I find it kind of annoying since it is only a hypocritical ploy to get us to buy another car

On the other hand a Christmas card from family or friends I do appreciate.

/ Dealer's not what they used to be #4  
Guess it depends on the dealer,bought little stuff..filters,fluids etc..thru the years and still get invites,cards,how er doing passing by.

/ Dealer's not what they used to be #5  
Whether or not to send Christmas cards is a tough choice for an informed dealer. It is a cost, and it has some payback. How much is hard to quantify. But it also has some religious overtones and may offend some. Is it worth it? Who knows!

I'll bet that an honest survey would show so a totally mixed bag of feelings. Some customers like it, some don't care, some dislike it.

What I do know is I'd rather get a friendly greeting when I arrive there, followed by good service at reasonable prices. For that, I'll trade in every Christmas card I ever received.

/ Dealer's not what they used to be #6  
My Dealer is from the old school. I still get a X-mas card and am invited to the X-mas party every year. Picnic in the summer too.

/ Dealer's not what they used to be #7  
What I do know is I'd rather get a friendly greeting when I arrive there, followed by good service at reasonable prices. For that, I'll trade in every Christmas card I ever received.

I will second that. I have a small business myself. I have not sent Christmas cards since I opened it two years ago. At today's rates that would be over $100 just for postage plus the cards and the time to address them. I hope I am giving everyone a friendly greeting, good service, reasonable rates.

The Geeks in town charge $150 for what I do for $70 - $100. Which would you prefer?

/ Dealer's not what they used to be #8  
Years ago when I purchased a Kubota tractor, I always received a calendar, and a Christmas Card thanking me for the business, back then a tractor was under $20,000. This year I spent over $40,000 and not a Christmas Card, nothing. I guess this is the changing times and the different generations running business's.

My first tractor was a new 2005 Kubota B7510HST bought in May05. The dealer sent me a nice Christmas present--one of those desk lamps that operate just by touching it.

Next month he shut his doors after 35+ years in business. I don't think the gift caused this--it was a squabble among the owners of the business.

/ Dealer's not what they used to be #9  
I don't expect Christmas cards every year, but it would have been nice if the salesperson had given me a follow up call after a couple of weeks to see how I liked my new tractor or to find out if I had any questions. I guess I'll be purchasing most of my fluids,lubricants, filters, and wear items on the web. A good dealer should try to establish a long term relationship with customers if they want repeat business. :confused:

/ Dealer's not what they used to be #10  
That friendly touch as well as good ol customer service is somethning thats lacking in all aspects of american business, not specific to the tractor industry.

When I see it, I remember it...for sure.