M7040 Question

/ M7040 Question #1  

blueriver

Tractor
JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super A Montana 5720C
My neighbor bought one ... he now has 85 hrs on it. Called and asked me if I would put out some hay for him while he was out of town.

Soooo ... where are the gear "ranges" like the hi and low range? I only found one shift lever on the right console for 4 gears. I found everything else.

Also first Kubota I was in ... very nice roomy quiet cab.

/ M7040 Question #2  
lever on right side, between seat and fender, the top of lever is about level with seat cushion, forward for low, back for high(I think)

Edit: I just read the last part about the cab, what I described was OS, not real sure about the cab model, never been in one. It may be the same though.

/ M7040 Question
Thanks ... there were two levers close to the seat one was the 3 point hitch, the other was not marked that may have been it. There was also a lever near the hand throttle that had a "turtle" and a "rabbit" ... I put that one in "turtle" applied half throttle in first gear and that kubota was moving out ... the tac was showing 3.9 mph and I thought man this thing has got to have a slower range.

/ M7040 Question #4  
Thanks ... there were two levers close to the seat one was the 3 point hitch, the other was not marked that may have been it. There was also a lever near the hand throttle that had a "turtle" and a "rabbit" ... I put that one in "turtle" applied half throttle in first gear and that kubota was moving out ... the tac was showing 3.9 mph and I thought man this thing has got to have a slower range.

The two levers by the seat are 3PH and draft control. Between that panel and the seat, slightly lower, is the gear range lever. It is hard to notice right away. It is not easy to engage. Sometimes you have to monkey with it to get it to change from high to low range.

There should also be a decal by the 3PH lever / PTO engage lever that shows the gear ranges and speeds in those ranges at certain RPMs. You were definitely in high range.

/ M7040 Question #5  
I'am surprised you didn't ask your new "ranch-hand" " she ought to know a thing or two about levers ! :laughing: ;) :thumbsup:
You should have traded them mules to me when you had the chance. :D

Boone

/ M7040 Question
I'am surprised you didn't ask your new "ranch-hand" " she ought to know a thing or two about levers ! :laughing: ;) :thumbsup:
You should have traded them mules to me when you had the chance. :D

Boone

She is an expert on levers !!!! But she was busy polishing the hood !!!

/ M7040 Question
The two levers by the seat are 3PH and draft control. Between that panel and the seat, slightly lower, is the gear range lever. It is hard to notice right away. It is not easy to engage. Sometimes you have to monkey with it to get it to change from high to low range.

There should also be a decal by the 3PH lever / PTO engage lever that shows the gear ranges and speeds in those ranges at certain RPMs. You were definitely in high range.

Thanks ... I'll be back over there in a couple days to do it again for him and will look things over real good. I didn't even consider asking anything about it ... I thought what the hey its a tractor and I can run it!!

But I sure didn't find low range.

/ M7040 Question #8  
The gearshift has to be in neutral and the hydraulic shuttle also in neutral before the rabbit can be pushed (sometimes really pushed) all the way forward to turtle...

/ M7040 Question #9  
The gearshift has to be in neutral and the hydraulic shuttle also in neutral before the rabbit can be pushed (sometimes really pushed) all the way forward to turtle...

That's not necessary, just have the clutch in.

(At least on my 5040 and 9540).

Ken

/ M7040 Question
I found it ... it was the lever with the turtle and rabbit. Very hard to move ... I kinda had to double clutch and play around to get it.

He needs to fill his rears ... I always carry the FEL load low and when I went over a small incline the right rear came off about 2' ... a little pucker factor!!!