L3800 50 hour service

/ L3800 50 hour service #21  
Red Sox,
Also remember at some point to check the tension on your fan belt to make sure it's still snug. It will stretch in a bit from new, especially once the weather warms up

/ L3800 50 hour service #23  
Where is that oil fill point on the valve cover for a L3800? I looked today but didn't see it.

Thanks.

/ L3800 50 hour service #24  
Where is that oil fill point on the valve cover for a L3800? I looked today but didn't see it.

Thanks.

Its on the side, just up from the dipstick. Hey there are a lot of good thread on here about methods to change the hydraulic and hydro filters without loosing too much fluid.. I used the vacuum cleaner method but it put fluid spray into the vacuum. Another method is the park on a steep hill sideways with intended filter up hill. I havent tried this. Other method is just be darn quick.. Good luck and get back to us if you need anything..

James K0UA

/ L3800 50 hour service
Hey Rail Dawg, did you do your 50 yet and if so how'd it go?

/ L3800 50 hour service #26  

Thanks.

On my 07 L2800 it is right behind the radiator hose outlet on the front right side of the valve cover. It is recessed a little.

Attachments

• 0304120815.jpg
    0304120815.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
   / L3800 50 hour service #27  
On my 07 L2800 it is right behind the radiator hose outlet on the front right side of the valve cover. It is recessed it little.

I wish mine was there, it's a PIA having it on the side of the engine where it's harder to get at with a full jug of oil.

Sean

/ L3800 50 hour service #28  
Mine also has the side fill along with the valve cover fill. I did not find the valve cover fill until just before the 300 hour service so I know what it is like to add oil especially with the loader attached. I was a nice surprise when I found the valve cover fill. I have not looked at the other L-series to see if they have the valve cover fill.

/ L3800 50 hour service #29  
Hey Rail Dawg, did you do your 50 yet and if so how'd it go?

I did my 50 yesterday and holy cow what a mess I made! It's all done and cleaned up now but next time I'm going to have a better way to catch oil.

What surprised me is the roughly 1-2 quarts of hydraulic fluid you lose when changing the hydraulic oil filter. No wonder guys use a shop vac..... Even when I went as fast as I could the fluid gushes out pretty quick. Be ready!

The other lesson was removing the engine oil dipstick when draining oil. It took me 5 minutes of oil barely draining out before I pulled that stick out. It flowed great after that.

Next time I'm going to have a big flat plastic catch basin and lots of old rags. That and my shop vac and it should go a lot better.

This thread did help a lot.

Take care!

/ L3800 50 hour service #30  
I did my 50 yesterday and holy cow what a mess I made! It's all done and cleaned up now but next time I'm going to have a better way to catch oil.

What surprised me is the roughly 1-2 quarts of hydraulic fluid you lose when changing the hydraulic oil filter. No wonder guys use a shop vac..... Even when I went as fast as I could the fluid gushes out pretty quick. Be ready!

The other lesson was removing the engine oil dipstick when draining oil. It took me 5 minutes of oil barely draining out before I pulled that stick out. It flowed great after that.

Next time I'm going to have a big flat plastic catch basin and lots of old rags. That and my shop vac and it should go a lot better.

This thread did help a lot.

Take care!

Next time you will be draining all of the fluid so it really won't be that messy. Probably should have done it this time despite what the manual says. My opinion - stated many times.

A washtub from Tractor Supply or a feed store works great for catching large amounts of fluid.

You can also remove the oil filler cap for a better drain. You have to remove it anyway for the fill-up.