L3800 50 hour service

/ L3800 50 hour service #31  
The other lesson was removing the engine oil dipstick when draining oil. It took me 5 minutes of oil barely draining out before I pulled that stick out. It flowed great after that.

Sorry:eek: I should have mentioned that!

Has anyone tried the steep side hill method of to retain the fluid when changing the hydro filter? I used the vacuum thing last time. and it worked well, but coated the inside of the vacuum with a fine mist of fluid.

James K0UA

/ L3800 50 hour service #32  
If you restrict the shop vac opening it will help. I use a step down adapter on the shop vac. The opening at the end is only 3/4 of an inch. This keeps the flow down so you do not get all the fluid mist. All you really need is a little bit of vacuum. Since changing a filter does not take long, it will not hurt the shop vac.

/ L3800 50 hour service #33  
I have a 3800DST. Does anyone know what hydro fluid is installed originally? Super or regular. Is super mainly for HST models or both? When i change my filter i don't want to mix two different types of hydro fluid. At least the manual says not to mix. Thanks!

/ L3800 50 hour service #34  
I have a 3800DST. Does anyone know what hydro fluid is installed originally? Super or regular. Is super mainly for HST models or both? When i change my filter i don't want to mix two different types of hydro fluid. At least the manual says not to mix. Thanks!

As far as I know, and have read.. all 3800's whether gear or hydro come filled with SUDT from the factory.

James K0UA

/ L3800 50 hour service #35  
I wonder if one could run the tractor up on car ramps on one side so it tilts to the side to change the filter and not lose too much fluid?

My L3800 won't be here for a couple of weeks, but I might give it a try for the 50 hour service.

/ L3800 50 hour service #36  
I got the skinny from the dealer and sent an email to to Kubota Corp. to clear the air on whether changing the hydro oil is required at 50 hrs. I also asked Kubota Corp if it had to be done by a dealer. Their response...." To keep the warranty on the unit you need to do the requirements that is shown on pages 46 & 47 in your Operator's manual. Doing the work yourself or paying someone to do it, doesn't void the warranty. You do not have to change the hydraulic/transmission fluid until the 400 hour mark."

I did run one side of the tractor up on some 6x6 wood blocks to remove the hydro filter and replace with new. Wheeeww!:eek: THat was fun. I only had to top it off with 1-1/2 quarts. Make sure you move your FEL lever around and around to relieve a lot of the pressure.