L3800 50 hour service

/ L3800 50 hour service #1  

redsox1

Silver Member
Tractor
L3800 HST
I've been worried about the 1st service (50 hour) and my decision to do it myself vs dealer. I'd heard different opinions on the level of difficulty. If you are on the fence also, not to worry, I did mine yesterday and it was a complete piece of cake. Zero problems other than a bit of a mess. I'd advise putting down a sheet of cardboard to catch the drips.
For what its worth I'll go through how I handled things. First I got out the owners manual and made up a checklist of all the 50 hour items. Basically in my case it consists of :
1. some additional zerk grease points that are not included in the regular 10 hours greasings. For example in the case of my tractor it adds 3 point lift arm, tie rod ends, front axle support and 3 pedal linkage points. You may have to bend, stretch and crawl around a bit underneath but they were all relatively easy to locate and service w/ the regular grease gun.
2. drain engine oil, (run engine briefly before to warm oil) again very simple and similar to a regular car oil change except that there are two drain plugs instead of one and they took longer to drain. Both were not over torqued and easy to remove.
3. replace engine oil filter, no mess, no problem removing w/ standard oil filter wrench.
4. refill engine oil, fill port is near dip stick and required a long necked funnel to prevent a mess. Run engine briefly, check for leaks and recheck oil level
5. remove transmission filter (again it took a regular oil filter type wrench) and replace w/ new (remember to prelube rubber gasket w/ clean hyd. fluid first), have a catch basin underneath, you will lose a small amount of fluid (maybe a half a cup at most, I think it is just what is in the filter at the time).
6. Now for the messiest part, but still not bad. The hyd. suction filter is located near the engine oil dipstick area. Have the new filter ready w/ gasket prelubed, make sure magnetic filter is attached. Have catch basin underneath w/ cardboard under that. As you start to remove filter the fluid will flow out, not a flood but a pretty good flow. You need to work fast after removing old filter. Grab the new one and without panicking carefully screw it on (care to keep it level and don't cross thread). The filter can get pretty slippery but it only takes a few seconds to get it on enough to stop the flow. Tighten to proper amount, not too tight! Check sight glass and add SUDT fluid to proper level. Run engine briefly, shut down, recheck level and top off if needed. I noticed a fair amount of metal shavings attached to the magnetic ring of the old filter. I expected that but was still glad to have changed the filter and got that out of the system.

You are done!!!! Maybe an hour or two from start to finish depending on if you take it nice and slow. No heavy lifting and it will give you a better understanding of the tractor by the time you are done. I also took the time to lube the hood latch, check the air filter and blow out the radiator screens but these steps were not a part of the 50 hour.
Have a ball and safe tractoring.

/ L3800 50 hour service #2  
Good write up.
Also would not hurt to check front differential fluid as quite a few operators have found the level quite low. Seems it takes some time for the fluid to settle and displace all of the air voids in the axle/differential/final drive components. When filled at the dealership it may be full but later it will show down a quart or 2.

James K0UA

/ L3800 50 hour service #4  
I'm deployed right now but I thought that Kubota also had you change the hydraulic fluid at 50hrs. Could be wrong don't have access to my owners manual here in Afghanistan. What fluid did you use to top it off, the Kubota brand or just the generic stuff. I've here both ways would be interested in what people think.

/ L3800 50 hour service #5  
I guess my classification can now be "old fogy". IMO the hydraulic oil should be changed at 50 hours despite what the manual says. Oil shavings and assembly debris are like rats or roaches - if you see one, then you have an infestation of unseen ones. The filter doesn't catch it all. Sure, the fluid has not broken down or lost lubricating ability at 50 hrs. but it is all the other gunk that needs to go.

With my tractors, every time the filter is changed so is the fluid.

For years Kubota recommended changing the hydraulic oil at 50 hours. Then the environmentalists and bean counters got together and decided that it could go 200 hrs, 300 hrs, 400 hrs or whatever a particular new tractor manual says with only a filter change.

Two of my tractors take 15 gallons each of hydraulic fluid so I can see the economic point. The environmentalists, well....

In summary, there are not logical reasons for the change in procedure.

/ L3800 50 hour service
I don't know if Kubota has changed the recomendation recently but my L3800 was purchased in July and the manual says filters only at 50 hours, fluid not until 200 hours so that is what I did. I can understand some people wanting to play it safe by doing both but....I recently purchased 3 gallons of Kubota SUDT2 for just under $100 and my tractor takes over 6 gallons. I may be penny wise/pound foolish but I'm going to follow factory specs for now and hope that the filters do what they are designed to do.

/ L3800 50 hour service #7  
Just a couple of quick add-on comments. Pulling the dip stick off of it's seat or opening the filler cap will cause the oil to drain much faster. There is also a filler cap on top of the valve cover. I find it easier to add or refill oil there when the loader is attached.

/ L3800 50 hour service
Thanks I didn't know about the additional fill point on the valve cover. That will be helpful as the other one is partially hidden by a plastic cover and requires a long/thin necked funnel to reach.

/ L3800 50 hour service #9  
I changed the hyd fluid at 50 (actually 118 as the tractor was used and not had a real 50 hr service). but I'll wait for the recommended 400 hrs next time. I feel the filters handle it good enough and they're replaced every 200. and with 11 gals needed for an L, cost is not worth the overkill IMO.
thanks to this site , changing the filter without changing fluid was clean...due to the 'shop vac' method with a wife.
checked the fluid yesterday and it's crystal clear, stays right on the top mark after about 250 hours.
this past summer was a testament for kubota. I put almost 300 hours on it, with a lot of those hours hard work like discing and box blading. not even a hint of a problem.

/ L3800 50 hour service #10  
Yes, Kubotas are well engineered and built. When you perform the 50 hour service and remove the hydraulic oil filter be sure to check that there are not excessive metal particles in the goo around the inlet. Goo is normal and there may be a few metal flecks, but that is OK. I took mine in for my dealer to see just to be sure. He advised me that all was normal.