BX25 FEL Grapple

/ BX25 FEL Grapple #1  

Artisan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25
__I am looking for opinions guys. I am adding a FEL Grapple to my BX25, adding "The Thumb" I am. I am going to afix a pice of 3.5 x 3.5 Angle to the top of the bucket via welding. I have seen guys notch the back in 4 places so-as to get a wrench in there on a nut but I am not liking that. The FEL bucket on a BX25 needs to be re-inforced along that top edge anyways and cutting 4 slots weakens it dramatically, IMO. So....I either weld nuts under the angle OR I can weld 5/8" bolts sticking straight up. I am leaning towards welding bolts straight up, why?

1-Seal it so no water or other junk can get inside when grapple is removed.
2-Easier to start a nut on the bolt from the top then vice versa.
3-Your suppose to tighten the nut, not the bolt, as a general rule of thumb.
4-I worry about the nut distorting while welding.

__Does anyone see issue with welding bolts sticking up vs welding nuts underneath?

Here is a pic of what another member did here, he welded nuts under.

118939d1231973493-looking-bucket-reinforcement-advice-grapple-116-1607_img-large-.jpg

/ BX25 FEL Grapple #2  
If you weld the bolts on, they may be prone to thread damage if they remain exposed???

/ BX25 FEL Grapple
...well, the grapple will prob just stay on and if I get things straight before I weld them up I don't think I will have issue, I am looking at grade 8 bolts as well, they are pretty tough... I just can't find a reason why I should not do this.

/ BX25 FEL Grapple #5  
Main reasons are
1) Thread damage it won't take much of a rock falling onto the bolts to mess up the threads
2) Something to snag yourself or your chains and ropes on if left exposed.
3) Tightening a bolt over a nut makes no difference the threads are still being pulled causing the torque to hold the item in place so this should not be a factor

I welded nuts to the under side of my mower deck to allow me to bolt on my mower boot for my trac vac. When not using the boot I put short bolts in to keep junk out of the threads. That and a bit of anti-seize goes a long way.

/ BX25 FEL Grapple
Thanx for the input Just... McMaster has 5/8-11 Acorn Nuts I failed to mention I was going to get. You make some valid points.

Perhaps the grapple proper might come off some day, but I think it's mount will stay planted their for the duration.

I was looking at the mount and thinking it might be a great mount for forks or.....as well.

/ BX25 FEL Grapple #7  
No input on the bolt vs nut being welded, but just curious if you decided how you were going to get hydraulic pressure to the grapple cylinder?

/ BX25 FEL Grapple
CHD, your question has thrown me into a tizzy... HA! Oh man... I am becoming forgetful I fear. I had found a hydraulic valve company, there catalog is really nice online, they sell all kids of valve and valves w/ a ergonmic grip w/ switch to toggle between FEL Cylinder and GRapple Cylinder.
I think the name of teh company began w/ the letter F? Oh man, I am so upset at myself, I won't sleep for days till I remember it.

SO either a 12V switch and directional control valve OR, I want to look into a plain valve next to the FEL stick.

Does anyone know the name of that company that sells directional control valves? Not Dalton, Not Surplus Center...There catalog flips like pages in a book, very nice catalog it is...:confused:

/ BX25 FEL Grapple
Dang, I hate that! It took me forever to dig up that name FASSE! I have bookmarked this time, Perhaps it will be powered with THIS. (Scroll to bottom, look at 700-5032-4080 ) I am now going to investigate simply adding a valve next to my FEL Lever as well. If there is an outlet on the FEL valve ( I think it is called power beyond?) and if fabricating a mount isn't to hard and if I can make it look "Store Bought" I think I would perfer it. With the FASSE I am in an "Either or" situation, w/ a dedicated valve I can multitask.

/ BX25 FEL Grapple #10  
Dang, I hate that! It took me forever to dig up that name FASSE! I have bookmarked this time, Perhaps it will be powered with THIS. (Scroll to bottom, look at 700-5032-4080 ) I am now going to investigate simply adding a valve next to my FEL Lever as well. If there is an outlet on the FEL valve ( I think it is called power beyond?) and if fabricating a mount isn't to hard and if I can make it look "Store Bought" I think I would perfer it. With the FASSE I am in an "Either or" situation, w/ a dedicated valve I can multitask.

The loader valve will have a PB (power beyond) port for sure on the BX25. It should be feeding hydraulic pressure to the 3PH right now. So, if you add another valve for your grapple, you would need one with another PB port so the pressure will flow from your current loader valve to the new valve (for grapple) then downstream to the 3PH. The Fasse diverter you linked works differently. I believe it would take one of your existing loader circuits (boom or curl - your choice) and split it into two circuits with the electrically actuated diverter selecting which circuit is "hot"). I would think the diverter would be easier to install and take less room on your BX25, but I've never installed one. Keep us posted on what you end up doing.