3-Point Hitch How can I limit "UP" Travel?

/ How can I limit "UP" Travel? #1  

dabunsey

Tractor
Ford 8N, Kubota BX1800
Kubota BX-1800 I Have a rear-mounted snowthrower that when I operate the 3-point to lift the unit, it goes up so far that a bind is put on the PTO shaft and I shear the Shearpin. I need to find a way to limit the "UP" travel so I don't have to be so careful when raising the unit off the ground. Anyone got any ideas?

/ How can I limit "UP" Travel? #2  
Shorten the top link, or and I'm not sure if the BX1800 has more than on position to place the end of the top link where it attaches to the tractor, if so move the top link down a hole or 2.

/ How can I limit "UP" Travel? #3  
Some tractors have a wing nut slide ajustment on the lever for the 3 point ... slide it to the position you want the lever to stop and tighten it down ... maybe yours don't have that.

/ How can I limit "UP" Travel? #4  
Some tractors have a wing nut slide ajustment on the lever for the 3 point ... slide it to the position you want the lever to stop and tighten it down ... maybe yours don't have that.

That is what my L3400 has:thumbsup:

/ How can I limit "UP" Travel? #5  
My M4900 has 2 adjustable stops(1 for height & 1 for depth).

/ How can I limit "UP" Travel? #6  
Kubota BX-1800 I Have a rear-mounted snowthrower that when I operate the 3-point to lift the unit, it goes up so far that a bind is put on the PTO shaft and I shear the Shearpin. I need to find a way to limit the "UP" travel so I don't have to be so careful when raising the unit off the ground. Anyone got any ideas?

Check to see if there is a rod between the right rear wheel and the transmission. The correct rod can be identified by moving the lift lever on the fender - the lever moves the rod.

The end of the rod has a two nuts (+a lock nut, 10mm I think) to adjust the travel automatic centering feature (shut off). There are a couple of springs that the nuts compress.

Of course, I can't remember which nut is used to adjust which so you'll have to play around with them a bit. Try the rearmost nuts first since that is my vague memory of which one adjusts "up".

Make a mental note or write down the measurements of where the nuts are before adjusting them so they can be returned to the original settings if things don't work out.

I used to have a photo of the rod but can't find it. Maybe later.

/ How can I limit "UP" Travel? #7  
none of this will work because he doesn't have "position control" that moves the 3pt to match lever position. He has a "quarter inching valve" which works like the loader valve, you pull the lever back and the 3pt goes up. but when you release the lever it springs back to neutral.
about the only way I can think to limit up travel is to connect chains from the tractor frame side of the lower links to the snowblower side of the top link or some variation of this.

/ How can I limit "UP" Travel? #8  
How about do the proper thing and shorten the pto shaft to the correct length, when new it comes with instructions to cut it to match your tractor. You're lucky you only broke a shear pin, it can damage the pto stub shaft and gears on your tractor.

/ How can I limit "UP" Travel? #9  
How about do the proper thing and shorten the pto shaft to the correct length, when new it comes with instructions to cut it to match your tractor. You're lucky you only broke a shear pin, it can damage the pto stub shaft and gears on your tractor.

I agree. A couple of large snows and we will be getting the questions of, What caused my PTO Shaft on the tractor to break, or what caused the back of my tracotr to break? Then we will get, the dealer is not wanting to cover repairs under warranty.

/ How can I limit "UP" Travel? #10  

I agree. A couple of large snows and we will be getting the questions of, What caused my PTO Shaft on the tractor to break, or what caused the back of my tracotr to break? Then we will get, the dealer is not wanting to cover repairs under warranty.

I guess we need more clarification from the OP on what kind of "bind" it is.

If the PTO is indeed too long, then definatally shorten it and make it right.

But I have had/seen implements that bind the shaft aginst the implement itself, and NOT because the PTO is too long. Rather the geometry causes the front of the implement to rise up high enough and touch (or bend) the pto shaft in the middle.

In this case, depending on the design of the blower, shortening the implement "may" fix the issue. Because it will cause the rear of the impelment to pitch up (rotate) and keem the front from binding. This will only work if the pins are located above what hitting the PTO shaft.

And another option (if the BX has it) is to adjsut the sidelinks. My L3400 has like 2 or 3 holes where you can hook them to the lower arms. If they were put in the bottom holes, it wouldnt raise the implement as high.