Hydraulics for log splitter L3010 without fel

/ Hydraulics for log splitter L3010 without fel #1  

westtexus

Tractor
Kubota L3010
I have a 1998 L3010. I want to add hydraulic hoses to run a 3pt log splitter. I have read the threads about this, and they all refer to tractors with fel, which I don't have on mine.

Does anyone know what I would need in order to be able to run a 3 pt log splitter/ I would think I can hook in to where ever the fel hoses would be attached. 3pt splitters come with a valve, so do I need more than power and return hoses?

Thanks in advance for any help!

/ Hydraulics for log splitter L3010 without fel #2  
Do you have a loader valve or any type of valve, I took mine to the dealer and they put in a power beyond loop to the back, out of the loader valve, you should have some type of hydraulic valve installed anyhow,,,tractors are much more useful when you can run hydraulic implements, I had selecto valves installed , so I can run a hoe, splitter, anything with a supply and a return line

The dealer charges me $300 to install the loop, then I put another $400 in the 2 position valve and the selector valves 2 one for return and one for feed, basically when the yellow valves are up I have topNtilt, when they're down I have power out the back of the tractor to another remote like a backhoe or a log splitter,,,, just remember it always has to be looped

Attachments

• image-4047835933.png
    image-4047835933.png
    861.8 KB · Views: 463
  • image-1495639765.png
    image-1495639765.png
    941.5 KB · Views: 467
  • image-1732601202.png
    image-1732601202.png
    892.2 KB · Views: 366
  • image-591603923.png
    image-591603923.png
    870.5 KB · Views: 471
   / Hydraulics for log splitter L3010 without fel #3  
On your L3010 there is a hydraulic block just in front of the hydraulic filter on the right side underneath. This is where you connect lines to the FEL valve. It would be easy to put in a loop for a splitter from this block. If you have an operators manual it explains the location of the three block ports ( P, PBY, & Tank ). You would need to put a loop between P and PBY with QDs in it. You would also need to rotate the valve in that block to the FEL position. Split the loop QDs and connect to your splitter. P to splitter IN and splitter OUT to PBY. Reconnect the loop when you take your splitter out. The OUT port of the splitter will see some pressure if you operate the 3ph. It should not be much if you are just raising the splitter. The reason I mention this is that some splitter valves have very low pressure specs on the OUT port. But from what I have read people do this all the time w/o a problem.
The L3010 has a 7 gal/min hydraulic flow in this line. Use this to calculate your cycle time.
Hope this helps.

/ Hydraulics for log splitter L3010 without fel
Thanks for the quick replies.
Gordon, I just got my operators manual yesterday. Just as you said. It shows pictures of all plug locations, as well as instructions to rotate valve while using implement, and to return valve to closed position when implement is not in use.
So now my question is, could I put in QD connections on say, a short pipe nipple and not a loop, as I could turn the valve off and on? It also shows pictures of and explanation of remote hydraulics. would be nice to have, but by reading other threads I learn it is no longer available from Kubota.
Jake, did you have yours done this way in your posted pics because the kit was not available?

/ Hydraulics for log splitter L3010 without fel #5  
Thanks for the quick replies.
Gordon, I just got my operators manual yesterday. Just as you said. It shows pictures of all plug locations, as well as instructions to rotate valve while using implement, and to return valve to closed position when implement is not in use.
So now my question is, could I put in QD connections on say, a short pipe nipple and not a loop, as I could turn the valve off and on? It also shows pictures of and explanation of remote hydraulics. would be nice to have, but by reading other threads I learn it is no longer available from Kubota.
Jake, did you have yours done this way in your posted pics because the kit was not available?

Yes - That would work.

/ Hydraulics for log splitter L3010 without fel #6  
Also an additional thought. You might want to protect it well as it is not a place where you would want a stick to tear off those short nipples. If it were me I would consider some short lengths of hose to the QDs mounted somewhere close by on something solid.

Yeah, I thought of that myself. Maybe elbows pointed to the back, and make some sort of clamp and attach to something underneath. Next question, are the threads in the holes where the plugs are american pipe threads, metric, or does anyone know?

Messick's says they have a complete kit with one spool valve for $842, double $1215, three valve for only $1659.

/ Hydraulics for log splitter L3010 without fel #8  
Yeah, I thought of that myself. Maybe elbows pointed to the back, and make some sort of clamp and attach to something underneath. Next question, are the threads in the holes where the plugs are american pipe threads, metric, or does anyone know?

Messick's says they have a complete kit with one spool valve for $842, double $1215, three valve for only $1659.

I am guessing they are JIC-08 or SAE-08 o-ring threads. That is what they have on the FEL hoses at the FEL valve end. Take out a plug and check. Should be a 3/4"- 16 thread if it ia JIC or SAE -08. It could be a pipe thread though. There is a pipe thread that is 3/4"-14 which is close so check carefully. Discount Hydraulics has a nice thread table.

I think ( you best check to make sure ) the Messick kits mount on a different hydraulic block. It is inside the rear wheel near the 3ph. The valve control handles extend up and would be in those slots just in front of your pto clutch lever and beside the 3ph height control. The QDs mount on the back. They are aka rear remotes. The kits are pricey but very nice units. I have two that came on the tractor. You can see the rear remotes in the pic.

Attachments

• TnTRearBlade.JPG
    TnTRearBlade.JPG
    766.1 KB · Views: 1,047
Last edited:
   / Hydraulics for log splitter L3010 without fel #9  
If you are wanting to save some expense, consider taking the valve off of the log splitter and mounting it on the back of your tractor. I mounted mine off of the bolts that hold on the ROPS. Then use two sets on quick disconnects on the supply and return hoses of the log splitter piston.

Another advantage to this is that you will have permanent connections on the power beyond loop and will not have to worry about disrupting the flow of that loop.

Sure, I am interested in saving expense, can't imagine anyone who wouldn't. Your idea of using the splitter valve sounds good. I know very little of the workings of a hydraulic system, but am learning from this forum. A splitter valve without auto return would serve other uses as well.