license is a commercial driverç—´ license. Holders
of a Class B license may, with any appropriate

endorsements, operate all vehicles in Class C;

Class C​
: any single vehicle or combination of
vehicles that does not meet the definitions of
Class A or Class B. A Class C license is a
commercial driverç—´ license only if it carries an
endorsement under Section 1253, subsection 3.
Holders of a Class C license may, with any
appropriate endorsements, operate all vehicles

in that class.

You can't highlight a few words and then pretend that is the regulation.

Class B
: any single vehicle with a gross vehicle
weight rating or registered weight of 26,001 or
more pounds

According to this you need a class B for vehicles over 26k.

or any such vehicle towing a
vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds gross
vehicle weight rating or gross weight

And this explain what you can tow with "any such vehicle"

"Any such vehicle" means:

Class B
more pounds

So if you are driving a truck with a GVWR over 26k you are limited to a trailer of 10k or less on a class B. That doesn't mean you are limited to 10k or less with all tow vehicles.

Try reading the flow chart I posted for you. It might make sense for you then.

The Red type is where they'll get ya. If you don't believe it come to my State with your pick up towing a trailer over 10,000 lbs.

I guess you don't realize that if I am hauling in "your" state that I fall under federal regulations? So even if your regulations were different from the feds they would have no bearing on me.

My point is, No one can tow a trailer with A GVWR over 10,000 lbs. without a CDL Class-A.

No one Eh?

Question 2: Is a driver of a combination vehicle with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) of less than 26,001 pounds required to obtain a CDL even if the trailer Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is more than 10,000 pounds?

Guidance: No, because the Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) is less than 26,001 pounds

Interpretation for 383.91: - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

I do have a CDL Class-A, and have a little knowledge of how to interpret the law here in Maine (see my bio).

Very little. You haven't a clue here.

You claim to be in law enforcment? God help those people.

Wow. My dad had a 3/4 ton Dodge. Pulled a 14 foot gooseneck grain box. Usually weighed in about 27,000 total with 300 bushels of corn or wheat. Heaviest load ever was 29,960 lbs. We never had any special license... Course that was 28 years ago at the latest. Laws may have changed.

Farm is often exempt from CDL.

/ Kubota M59 and Trailer, Weight ? #32  
Farm equipment is often exempt unless the vehicle has air brakes. Then you are required to have a CDL. If you have any questions about weight limits or restrictions you should call your local DMV and ask them what is required. Or even better find a state patrol officer that specializes in DOT regulations and ask him. If that doesn't make you happy, Go to a weigh station and ask the officer in there and he will give you the correct answer.

/ Kubota M59 and Trailer, Weight ? #33  
I just ordered a M59 12/30/11, have not took delivery as Kubota rep stated it would be a 4 to 6 week process to build and have one ready. I have come across a couple questions about the weight of the tractor and the trailer. It appears some are saying I will need a CDL license and some are saying I should be fine on the weight. Can anyone tell me what issues am I going to run into if I'm wanting to trailer it around to do odd and end jobs. Tractor is 8345 lbs, and my trailer I don't know but its 7x22 tandem 14k. I logged on to the DOT website for Alabama and can't find much on it. I purchased this and not a full size backhoe, because of the DOT regulations, it seem I'm right on the edge of having needing CDL's anyways with this M59. I'm not sure how all the weight issues work, but I have Ford F-350, 11k alone, then tractor and trailer thats possibly 10k or better.

I have a new 24 foot 14.8K trailer. I just registered it here in Massachusetts. I spent several hours at the registery waiting to speak with an RMV officer to confirm my legal status. My F350 is 11.2K. According to the officer as long as I am using the trailer for "non-commercial" use and not OVER 26K then no special license is required. If I go over 26K and remain non-commercial I need a Medical Card. If I use the same for commercial use a CDL is required for the trailer over 10K and/or combined over 26K. If I put farm plates on both and use only for the farm then a Medical Card is required for the trailer over 10K.

Makes no sense to me but that is what he told me. Also recommended I ask anyone that stopped and issued a citation to list specific regulation I was violating and to state that my use was non-commercial.

Another interesting point is that no inspection was required for the trailer since it is for non-commercial use. Seems crazy to me.

Based on my use, I would not recommend loading the M59 on anything less than a 24foot. (20+4) would be Ok. 2008 F350 diesel pulls it without any issues except the mpg. I have four properties my family owns that I move the tractor between. Farthest is 180 miles from home.

/ Kubota M59 and Trailer, Weight ? #34  
Farm equipment is often exempt unless the vehicle has air brakes. Then you are required to have a CDL.

Air brakes has absolutely no bearing on whether or not you need a CDL.*

*In the states.

/ Kubota M59 and Trailer, Weight ? #35  
DSGSR, using your reasoning then you would need a CDL for any trailer.

You would need a class A for trailers over 10k.

Class A: any combination of vehicles with a
gross combination weight rating or registered
weight of 26,001 or more pounds, provided the
gross vehicle weight rating or gross weight of
the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess
of 10,000 pounds

And a class B for trailer 10k or under.

Class B
more pounds or any such vehicle towing a
vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds
gross
vehicle weight rating or gross weight

Are you saying that everyone towing a trailer needs a CDL?

/ Kubota M59 and Trailer, Weight ? #36  
Air brakes has absolutely no bearing on whether or not you need a CDL.*

*In the states.

Ummm.. It is one of the requirements that you need to have for a CDL. There are three tests you take to have a CDL before you get any endorsement. The tests are 1. General Knowledge, 2. Air Brakes and 3. Combination Vehicle.

From what it seems on this thread, For the weight they are pulling you will need a A CDL.

/ Kubota M59 and Trailer, Weight ? #37  
Goose1

Save your breath you can't win with this guy. He's an expert on everything.

What I like to know how do you get over 4000 post since 2009 thats on this forum. and 1000s more on other forums out there and still work in the real world hauling your equipment around. How do you find time???

I rest my case!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ Kubota M59 and Trailer, Weight ? #38  
I spent a lot of time researching this subject because two years ago I needed to upgrade my driver's license to include vehicle combinations over 26,000 lbs. My truck and RV combination was 28,000 lbs. just enough over 26,000 lbs. to get me in big trouble since I had only a class C license (good for 26,000 lbs.).

I was going to get a Class A CDL but found on Pennsylvania's web site that they offered Class A & B non-commercial driver's licenses. When I called the state DOT about it they had no clue what I was talking about. I went to my local driver's license center in Gettysburg and the manager there knew about the non-commercial licenses and provided the necessary information.

I now have a Class A non- commercial driver's license with the air brake restriction lifted. This license is good for 80,000 lbs. single or combination with or without air brakes.

I don't know what other states offer non-commercial driver's licenses but I doubt very much if Pennsylvania is the only one. The problem is this information is not published very well and is hard to find.

If a CDL is not required for your application then the non-commercial license can save you a lot of grief and aggravation. Many of the CDL requirements do not apply such as a DOT physical.

I believe there is entirely too much miss-information floating around out there and many have not actually researched the subject in their state.

The CDL (Commercial Driver's License) was instated by the Federal Government for driver's of commercial vehicles. The key word here is Commercial. The Federal Government has set the standards for these licenses. The CDL license applies to vehicles used for business or profit (meaning commercial) and are not considered a personal vehicle.

Below is a quote from my post on page one of this thread which explains Pennsylvania's licensing.

You will need to check with your state's Dept of Transportation.

In Pennsylvania a CDL license is only required for commercial vehicles.

A standard PA class C driver's license is good for up to 26,000 lbs single or combination (truck & trailer). Registered weight of trailer can be above 10,000 lbs as long as the truck can handle the weight and the combination is below 26,000 lbs.

Pennsylvania offers Class A and Class B non-commercial driver's licenses. Class A is required for a combination or a single vehicle above 26,000 lbs up to 80,000 lbs. Class B is for a single vehicle above 26,000 lbs up to 80,000 lbs.
If you have air brakes you would need to pass that part of the test also.

Since these are non-commercial driver's licenses a DOT physical and other CDL requirements do not apply.

/ Kubota M59 and Trailer, Weight ? #39  
Ummm.. It is one of the requirements that you need to have for a CDL. There are three tests you take to have a CDL before you get any endorsement. The tests are 1. General Knowledge, 2. Air Brakes and 3. Combination Vehicle.

From what it seems on this thread, For the weight they are pulling you will need a A CDL.

Farm use is typically exempt form CDL.

You need to test on air brakes to get your CDL other wise you will have an air brakes restriction. There isn't any air endorsement.

Goose1

Save your breath you can't win with this guy. He's an expert on everything.

What I like to know how do you get over 4000 post since 2009 thats on this forum. and 1000s more on other forums out there and still work in the real world hauling your equipment around. How do you find time???

I rest my case!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Why is it you never have anything to helpful to add?

Answer the OP's question or back up your statements with some facts.

/ Kubota M59 and Trailer, Weight ? #40  
I called and talked to my state's DOT because I to was trying to navigate these murky waters as well.

I am not addressing everything that has been spoken to except the air brakes issue. I can't remember the specifics, but a vehicle having air brakes does not automatically mean you need a CDL. It did lower your GVW. The standard 26K pound go/no go for a CDL did not apply. I wish that I could find my notes, but alas I can't, so I won't be quoting any numbers.

In this day and age, I would imagine trying to find a vehicle outfitted with air brakes that only has a gvw in the teens isn't a likely find. So, kind of a moot point, almost. Maybe something of the antique vintage possibly.