Kubota M59 and Trailer, Weight ?

/ Kubota M59 and Trailer, Weight ? #1  

buck1974

I just ordered a M59 12/30/11, have not took delivery as Kubota rep stated it would be a 4 to 6 week process to build and have one ready. I have come across a couple questions about the weight of the tractor and the trailer. It appears some are saying I will need a CDL license and some are saying I should be fine on the weight. Can anyone tell me what issues am I going to run into if I'm wanting to trailer it around to do odd and end jobs. Tractor is 8345 lbs, and my trailer I don't know but its 7x22 tandem 14k. I logged on to the DOT website for Alabama and can't find much on it. I purchased this and not a full size backhoe, because of the DOT regulations, it seem I'm right on the edge of having needing CDL's anyways with this M59. I'm not sure how all the weight issues work, but I have Ford F-350, 11k alone, then tractor and trailer thats possibly 10k or better.

/ Kubota M59 and Trailer, Weight ? #2  
Just my thoughts..... If you plan on using an implement or anything then the tractor is going to out weigh the trailer rating. Your probably thinking how so....but you have to take into amount the weight of the trailer its self is in the axles too. The trailer is going ti weigh in around 3700lbs and then you tractor alone is 8300lbs then adding a implement and loader I'm guessing you're gonna be over the rated capacity. Or at least real close.

/ Kubota M59 and Trailer, Weight ? #3  
I can't speak for Alabama, but this is what I've learned in Michigan, although I do think it is pretty much the same throughout the states.

Any trailer over 10k would require a CDL

A gross vehicle weight of 26k or more would require a CDL

If you hauling for any sort of business it would require a CDL

Of course there are different "grades" CDL, but they very from states. You would be pushing it not getting your CDL with those loads.

/ Kubota M59 and Trailer, Weight ? #4  
Well we have a set up about like yours a on a m5400 with fluid and foam in the front tires and a big tiller comes in around 7500-8000 with mud on it. And on a 22' trailer with 2 7k axles it handles fine. To be honest I have had a T300 bobcat on it several times and no issuies. In IL you would need enough plates to cover the weight and the DOT cops and secretary of state state police mess with everyone. Now you have to file your medical card with them to keep your cdl lic. Anything over 8K needs inspected in IL truck or trailer no matter how you use it.

I don't know if you need CDL or not I think it depends if you are using it for personal or business.

/ Kubota M59 and Trailer, Weight ? #5  
You will need to check with your state's Dept of Transportation.

In Pennsylvania a CDL license is only required for commercial vehicles.

A standard PA class C driver's license is good for up to 26,000 lbs single or combination (truck & trailer). Registered weight of trailer can be above 10,000 lbs as long as the truck can handle the weight and the combination is below 26,000 lbs.

Pennsylvania offers Class A and Class B non-commercial driver's licenses. Class A is required for a combination or a single vehicle above 26,000 lbs up to 80,000 lbs. Class B is for a single vehicle above 26,000 lbs up to 80,000 lbs.
If you have air brakes you would need to pass that part of the test also.

Since these are non-commercial driver's licenses a DOT physical and other CDL requirements do not apply.

All motor vehicles in PA require state inspection at least ounce a year, vehicles registered at 21,000 lbs and up require inspection twice a year. Trailers registered above 3000 lbs require brakes and state inspection. Trailers under 3000 lbs - no brakes and no inspection.

Mac

/ Kubota M59 and Trailer, Weight ? #6  
Do you understand GVCWR and GVWR? If not, google.

My understanding from an Indiana point to view.

As long as you are under 26K single or combined, you do not need a CDL (unless passenger or hazardous, which you are not). So lets throw that out.

Here is my problem. If you are over 10K GVCWR or GVWR, and operate for a profit (business), you need DOT numbers. With DOT numbers you need state inspection, extra insurance, and drug test on file. A 1/2 ton truck, trailer, and two commercial ZTR's will put you over 10K. So, every Mom and Pop lawn mowing business falls into this category. This is not a bad thing, but I think 10K is too light.

My F250, tandem axle trailer, L3940, FEL, and 1 implement puts me around 15K, so I fall into that category too, kinda. I rarely do anything for hire. I do volunteer work for schools, baseball/softball or soccer clubs. If a friend or neighbor needs help, I get paid in beer and dinner. I am not for hire so I skate the DOT numbers.

Philip.

/ Kubota M59 and Trailer, Weight ? #7  
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

The rules here are the Federal Basics for All States. States can add too the rules for their State, but they cannot subtract from the rules (if you cross state lines). If you are profiting from towing a trailer with a GVCWR (Gross Vehicle and Cargo Weight Rating) over 10,001 lbs, you must meet Federal guidelines.

David

/ Kubota M59 and Trailer, Weight ? #10  
I just ordered a M59 12/30/11, have not took delivery as Kubota rep stated it would be a 4 to 6 week process to build and have one ready. I have come across a couple questions about the weight of the tractor and the trailer. It appears some are saying I will need a CDL license and some are saying I should be fine on the weight. Can anyone tell me what issues am I going to run into if I'm wanting to trailer it around to do odd and end jobs. Tractor is 8345 lbs, and my trailer I don't know but its 7x22 tandem 14k. I logged on to the DOT website for Alabama and can't find much on it. I purchased this and not a full size backhoe, because of the DOT regulations, it seem I'm right on the edge of having needing CDL's anyways with this M59. I'm not sure how all the weight issues work, but I have Ford F-350, 11k alone, then tractor and trailer thats possibly 10k or better.

Whether or not you need a CDL depends on the GVWR of your F350. You are allowed up to 26k combined without a CDL. 26k - your 14k trailer leaves you 12k for your truck. If your truck is 12 GVWR or less you are good to go without CDL. If your truck is over 12 GVWR you will need a CDL.