BX2750D Snowblower chute actuator project

/ BX2750D Snowblower chute actuator project #1  

mjribeiro

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660
Just got done and I thought it was a timely post that may help others.

I bought a 4" 110lb linear actuator from AEI - $114

4" Linear Actuator with Preset Limit Switch "IP65 Rated"

and their momentary rocker switch for $5.25

20 Amp, 12 VDC, Momentary Off, DPDT Rocker Switch

I'm sure there are other brands and suppliers that would work fine. Just look for ones rated at least IP65 - (Totally protected against dust ingress and Protected against low pressure water jets from any direction. Limited ingress permitted).

I was going to fabricate brackets and mount it behind the chute, but I saw that the factory one is mounted on the side.

Once I determined the mounting points, I used stainless bolts, nuts and fender washers to create side mounts. I wanted that bolt to be secure on its own, and not held tight by the nut on the other side of the actuator.
IMG_7833.jpg

When 'side mounting', a spacer is needed to keep the actuator body from interfering with the chute operation. I found some poly spacers in my parts collection and machined the one side so it would sit over the nut and flush on the fender.

IMG_7834.jpg

Mounted the actuator with some washers & lock nuts making sure it could move freely on the studs.

IMG_7835.jpg

Here is a picture of the switch on the dash - almost looks stock.

IMG_7836.jpg

Works great in the garage, of course now it won't snow!!!

/ BX2750D Snowblower chute actuator project #2  
Awesome!
I was just contemplating figuring out how to do the exact same thing on my front mounted blower and dropped by here to see what I could find from others like yourself that figured it out. THANKS!
You've done such a great job and posted such clear pictures that I won't even ask you what the measurements were now :thumbsup:

However I will ask if you could tell me how/where you ran your wires and I'm assuming you've got a "plug style" disconnect for unhooking the wire when you take the blower off. I figured to use a "trailer style" waterproof setup and use dilectric (sp) grease to keep it from getting corroded.
Al

/ BX2750D Snowblower chute actuator project #3  
I got an 8" off ebay and put on. does a very nice job:thumbsup:

/ BX2750D Snowblower chute actuator project #5  
Excellent setup!

May I ask what prevents the actuator from over 'shooting' the range of the chute? In other words, what is preventing the actuator from pushing or pulling the chute farther than the guide bolt allows and breaking the sheet metal?

Last edited:
   / BX2750D Snowblower chute actuator project
The four inch range of the actuator is a little less than the travel of the sheet metal parts. So it stops nicely before any damage is done.

/ BX2750D Snowblower chute actuator project #7  
The four inch range of the actuator is a little less than the travel of the sheet metal parts. So it stops nicely before any damage is done.

Thanks.....makes sense now. Guess you strategically had to determine where the bolt holes were to go to enable full range of the chute and actuator combination.

/ BX2750D Snowblower chute actuator project
Exactly. I was having trouble trying to hold the unit while it was operating to get the perfect measurements. I ended up mounting the top first, fully extended the actuator and made sure I could get full extension out of the chute before marking the bottom hole. I must have got lucky since I get all of the chute movement I would want within the throw of the actuator.

/ BX2750D Snowblower chute actuator project #9  
Exactly. I was having trouble trying to hold the unit while it was operating to get the perfect measurements. I ended up mounting the top first, fully extended the actuator and made sure I could get full extension out of the chute before marking the bottom hole. I must have got lucky since I get all of the chute movement I would want within the throw of the actuator.

Never admit 'luck' :D ... it's all skill :thumbsup:

/ BX2750D Snowblower chute actuator project #10  
Birdman1970 said:
Never admit 'luck' :D ... it's all skill :thumbsup:

I always admit luck instead of skill, that way I won't be asked to do it again. :)