B21 Backhoe question

/ B21 Backhoe question #31  
Well written. However, I harken back to my original response. Let's say someone with an L39 (next model up from yours) pipes in and says he prefers the slightly more robust features of that model compared to the B26 for reasons that are Germaine to his line of work. Is that a valid response to the OP's question? The L48 is better yet (and really, what is the definition of better here?), but with this line of reasoning we stray from the path the OP was hoping to lead us down.

/ B21 Backhoe question
One other comment, though, about the stabilizers on the B21 having trouble lifting the back end. I looked at a 1400 hour B21 yesterday. It was a local rental and would be my last choice, but wanted a gauge of what's on the market. I specifically put the machine to idle and had no trouble bringing the rear end up. I wonder if your machine was down on power or had a leak? Because this thing was no gem, let me tell you!

/ B21 Backhoe question #33  
One other comment, though, about the stabilizers on the B21 having trouble lifting the back end. I looked at a 1400 hour B21 yesterday. It was a local rental and would be my last choice, but wanted a gauge of what's on the market. I specifically put the machine to idle and had no trouble bringing the rear end up. I wonder if your machine was down on power or had a leak? Because this thing was no gem, let me tell you!

Same thing here, my B21 stabilizers lift it okay most of the time.

Well written. However, I harken back to my original response. Let's say someone with an L39 (next model up from yours) pipes in and says he prefers the slightly more robust features of that model compared to the B26 for reasons that are Germaine to his line of work. Is that a valid response to the OP's question? The L48 is better yet (and really, what is the definition of better here?), but with this line of reasoning we stray from the path the OP was hoping to lead us down.

I agree. My KX-121 (mini ex) is even better :laughing:

Ken

/ B21 Backhoe question #34  
Do the B21 stabilizer's that lift OK have loaded rear tires as mine did? That adds 400-500 pounds of weight and could be the difference.

Funny you should mention the L39. My dealer actually had an L39 on the lot with about the same hours as my used B26 (less than 200 in both cases) that a customer had traded in on an L45. I salivated over the hoe on the L39 but unfortunately even after test driving it I just did not like the glide shift transmission. In Sept. 09 the dealer offered me the L39 for $2,000 more than what I paid for the B26 but because it did not have the HST I walked. That L39 is still sitting on his lot today.

I feel that the B26/B21 and B20 are all in the same "class". Clearly L39, L48 and L45 are in a different class and so the incremental cost of comparable machines is much higher plus you are moving to a larger machine which can compromise uitility for some owners.

Personally I love the tractor size of my B26 and the B21. If I could get one with a hoe that had a couple of more feet of reach (or an extend-a-hoe) and a loader that could lift 2,000 pounds with the same width and perhaps a 30 - 35 hp engine, that would be ideal for the work I do. I like the additional capability of an L45 but that extra foot of width would be a problem with a number of the jobs I have done.

Good luck in your search SixMilesSouth.

/ B21 Backhoe question #35  
Do the B21 stabilizer's that lift OK have loaded rear tires as mine did? That adds 400-500 pounds of weight and could be the difference.

Good point, that could be the difference!

Personally I love the tractor size of my B26 and the B21. If I could get one with a hoe that had a couple of more feet of reach (or an extend-a-hoe) and a loader that could lift 2,000 pounds with the same width...

Now that's one thing I do not like about my B21, the narrow width. We are in steep hilly terrain and the B21 feels a bit unstable to me because of it's narrow width. I've even felt nervous turning it around on our driveway.

Ken

/ B21 Backhoe question #36  
You might find loading the rear tires will make your machine more stable on hilly terrain. My property is very hilly too and it made a difference for me. The only downside was that there were a couple of slopes I could go up in medium before but with the B21 I had to use low range after loading the rears.

There has been more than one occasion where I got myself into a situation where I had to extend the hoe up a slope to ensure I didn't flip sideways even with the loaded tires.

Lauren