B21 Backhoe question

/ B21 Backhoe question #1  

SixMilesSouth

I'm looking at a B21 for sale and the routing of the hydraulic lines on the boom don't look like the ones I've seen on other machines. Actually, the boom itself looks different. Did they change this over the years?

Attachments

• B21 crop.jpg
    B21 crop.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 509
   / B21 Backhoe question #2  
Might be the older ones. I see the swing is a chain not duel cylinder on backhoe.

/ B21 Backhoe question
And shouldn't it have the BT751 sticker on it? Does this look like an aftermarket hoe?

/ B21 Backhoe question #5  
I had a 2003 B21 and that hoe on this machine does not look correct to me. I do not know how they grafted this hoe on to a B21 but even the control levers do not look right. Do you have any closeup pictures?

The hose routing on the stick is definitely not correct either. Kubota would not leave the hoses loose like that. I believe they use steel tubing of the cylinder to do a u-turn up to the boom/stick joint and then the hoses should be routed internally.

I looked but unfortunately I do not have any relevant pictures of my B21.

/ B21 Backhoe question #6  
Its possible someone bought an aftermarket backhoe and put on it but painted it and put Kubota decals on to make it look more factory. I don't know anything about these particular machines to be able to help you more but I wouldn't be surprised if I am right.

/ B21 Backhoe question #7  
I had a 2005 Kubota B21 for about 5 years and mine looks really different.

Attachments

• P1000007.jpg
    P1000007.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,078
   / B21 Backhoe question #8  
Looks like a Kubota 4520 backhoe. They were offered in the early 1980's for tractor models like the B8200. Definitely not the correct one for a B21, so it's a patch-up. You'd have to see how it actually operates, but, owing to its age and odd-ball application, it takes away from the value of the B21.

They were offered in both 3 point and subframe configurations. Which one is on that tractor? If a subframe type, does the subframe look factory-made or is it home-brew or modified?

I'd be wary... mismatched BH, dangling hoses, fresh paint job, wrong decals, who knows what you don't see?

/ B21 Backhoe question
Wow, that's not the answer I was hoping for... So what's this mean. I think I need to pass, right? The machine has under 700 hours, for around $13k. Where do you put the value of this? Should I assume the backhoe is worthless?

I'm calling the seller in the morning to see what he says. Even if I could get the machine without the hoe at a good discount, finding a BT751 would probably be tough, right?

/ B21 Backhoe question #10  
Actually, the $13k price kind of reflects that the unit is a mongrel. A 2,000+ hour B21 with the correct backhoe can go for $16-20k. A 700 hour one would go for more, most likely. They do offer the B2x series as a tractor-loader only, so the lack of a factory BH isn't especially odd, but you might suspect someone decided to add the hoe to such a unit and didn't want to ante up the $8k or so for the correct one from the factory. Instead, they found something on fleabay or wherever and made it fit.

The 4520 is actually an OK backhoe and one in good condition should do a lot of work. It all gets to what condition it's in and how well it was installed on the tractor. Kind of like buying a car that someone dropped a different make of engine into. Could it work? Sure. Would it be a sound installation? Depends on how it was done. Is it worth the same as a fully stock setup with the right motor in it? Not really. Final thought on the 4520... best I know it had a 2 stick control layout. That photo looks like there are 4 separate sticks. Is that right or am I seeing things?

If the tractor and loader are truly at 700 well-maintained hours, you might figure it alone could be worth most of the $13k. Suggest you track down a complete, working B21 with backhoe and test run both machines for comparison before making any offers on this one.

Please recognize I don't have a B21, so this is just general advice. There are quite a number of B2x owners around who may have better, more specific comments.