Backhoe Kubota B21 Backhoe Controls

/ Kubota B21 Backhoe Controls #1  

Anonymous Poster

Hi everybody,

New poster, been reading for a while though.

I am tentatively purchasing a 1999 B21 from a JD dealer. When I was trying it out (the first time using a B21), digging a hole with the backhoe, I notice that I couldn't curl the bucket and the dipper while pulling in the boom. Such that you would do when making a flat bottom trench. I asked the salesman and he says that it is normal, there just isn't enough flow to handle everything at once. I have run mini excavators but never a compact TLB (only fullsize). First, is this true? Second, if not true any suggestions?

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Matt

/ Kubota B21 Backhoe Controls
That's odd. I can't remember if that happened to me or not while operating a B20. I can't imagine that would be true. Other wise it would be a real pain in the butt. I haven't used a backhoe with the JD type controls for years. I run case so I can't tell you. But it does sound odd to me.

Blake
WA

/ Kubota B21 Backhoe Controls #3  
Matt,

I have the B21 though I haven't put the BH on yet this year, but you can do two functions, like curl the bucket while retracting the boom, but not three functions at one time as you describe. I plan to install it today and will advise further.

Carl

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( curl the bucket and the dipper while pulling in the boom.

)</font>

Oops. I didn't see the boom part. With backhoes, you cannot do three functions at once (with speed). You can do three things at once but it move VERY slow. Two things at once is better. Backhoe's aren't like excavators that have the "high auxilliry flow" I believe it's called.

Blake
WA

Thanks guys. I was a little concerned since I have never run a compact backhoe and the boom literally wouldn't move at all with the other two functions. I just wasn't used to that.

Again thanks for the reply.

PS. It will be delivered on Wednesday. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Matt

Matt, congrats on the backhoe! Please do take pictures to show us. Also, did you say you had a mini-trackhoe? Could you post pics. of that in the photo section? Later.

Blake
WA

/ Kubota B21 Backhoe Controls #7  
Matt, I think what you are experiencing is just the difference between a large and small TLB. I have around 800 hours on my B21 and believe you will work out the controls quickly with your experience. Keep in mind that the B21 will not do what a 580 Case will but is a very capable machine in a small package and just requires smaller bites. Good luck with the new tractor.

MarkV

I don't own a mini, but have used them to which I must say I was completely impressed on what you can do with them considering their size. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

MarkV,
I am sure I'll get used to it just fine. I bought the tractor to make things a little easier around the home (and to play with, of course!) as well as around the rest of my families homes, no real heavy duty stuff. I'll use it for planting fall bulbs and stuff... getting rid of dandelions /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif You know, dig a hole and fill it in kind of thing... It'll sure beat a shovel and a wheelbarrow.

Wish me luck.

Matt

/ Kubota B21 Backhoe Controls #10  
You can make a flat bottom trench with a B-21. While you do not have controls to perform three functions at once, you can (as mentioned above) slowly/alternatively pull the bucket arm/dipper and curl the bucket with the right hand control while pulling the boom back with the left hand control. It's a matter of feel. It will take about 10 hours of practice. I've never used any other backhoe. When I first started digging level 18" deep irrigation lines for my backyard golf course, I wondered whether 3 functions would make life easier. However, when I dug drainage lines around my house and wanted a steep pitch, it seemed that "feel" and hand-eye prowess helped me avoid a lot of hand digging. I then wondered if I would have been fighting a machine with 3 separate functions when slope is needed. As others have said, practice with the machine is the key. Good luck. Paul.