Dirt Moving 3 bottom plow advice?

/ 3 bottom plow advice? #1  

remington270

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota B2710
I am in the market for a new 3 bottom moldboard plow to bread up new ground that has been bushhogged. I am looking at plowing between 5-10 acres for planting corn, sunflowers, and watermelon, and want a good seedbed. I am in Alabama and I can't find a single dealership or equipment dealer with any 3 bottom plows, all anybody has is 2-bottoms. What is the reason for this? Everyone keeps telling me to "just disc it" but I bet I'd have to do that 6-8 times to get the soil ready for a row planter like I want it. Any insight?

/ 3 bottom plow advice? #2  
You might find a four bottom semi mount as a bargin as many farmers have gone away from moldboard plowing.

You do have enough tractor!

Or just get a tiller and do it in one pass.

/ 3 bottom plow advice? #3  
I am in the market for a new 3 bottom moldboard plow to bread up new ground that has been bushhogged. I am looking at plowing between 5-10 acres for planting corn, sunflowers, and watermelon, and want a good seedbed. I am in Alabama and I can't find a single dealership or equipment dealer with any 3 bottom plows, all anybody has is 2-bottoms. What is the reason for this? Everyone keeps telling me to "just disc it" but I bet I'd have to do that 6-8 times to get the soil ready for a row planter like I want it. Any insight?

Used 5 Shank Chisel Plow, Field Ripper, WE CAN SHIP CHEAPER THAN YOU THINK items in Sweetfarmequipment store on eBay!

Our Plows Above are on Ebay now.---NOTE: Your price for the
Plows, not purchased on Ebay, is less than what is posted on these Ebay
listings. For Example: Plows priced on Ebay over $1000, your cost
would be $200 less + shipping. For Plows listed under $1000, your cost will
be $100 less + shipping. We have 2 more 3 bottom plows coming out of the rebuild shop this week. Ken Sweet

/ 3 bottom plow advice?
Hey sweettractor- Those are some good looking plows, do you have any "new" plows? (or know anyone that does?) I have found several used 3-bottom plows around here, but would prefer brand new...

/ 3 bottom plow advice? #5  
Hey sweettractor- Those are some good looking plows, do you have any "new" plows? (or know anyone that does?) I have found several used 3-bottom plows around here, but would prefer brand new...

I am going to be honest with you. I don't know of a new plow that I would have on my farm or on my lots. The older plows are waaay better better and built with higher grade materials than new plows. Ken Sweet

/ 3 bottom plow advice?
It seems like they churn out all sorts of new implements from the factory, why then are there no new 3 bottom plows around?
Would you have any suggestions as to how to best break new ground? Would a 3-bottom be best or something else?

/ 3 bottom plow advice? #7  

Go used! Get a Ford or Deere plow. THey are great. I have (restored) a Ford 101 3 bottom and it works really well. They are pretty simple to get in like new condition and fairly inexpensive. Shares and shins are cheap and easy to replace. Moldboards and landsides will cost a little more. Make sure any one you buy has trip protection (springs or shear pins) and that the frog is not worn. I don't think you will find a new one and if you do, it will be of lesser quality than an old one. But you still will have to disc and drag a harrow of some kind to break up the clods and smooth things over before planting, so a plow just breaks up the hard earth. You could accomplish the same thing with a disc alone if it is heavy enough, but I find that a plow speeds things up and reduces the passes you need to make with a disc, but does not eliminate the need for discing.

/ 3 bottom plow advice? #8  
I am with the others, I prefer the old plows, we have a 2 bottom Ford and a 3 bottom Massey Ferguson. We paid $150 for the MF as no one uses them around here anymore and a lot were sold for scrap.

/ 3 bottom plow advice?
I still don't understand how there are *zero* new 3-bottom plows around. I mean don't people break up new ground anymore? I know everyone isn't using a roto-tiller, so I guess people just disk a half dozen times? Seems very time intensive

/ 3 bottom plow advice? #10  
Have you ever plowed before? Takes a little skill and experimenting to set up tractor and field. Plus, you still have to disc, do you have a disc? A tiller does a very nice job at loosening up the soil in one pass. Got this old 2 bottom Ford trip plow for $100 and it works great. Philip.

Attachments

• IM000675.jpg
    IM000675.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 683