BX25 vs GR2020, GR2120

/ BX25 vs GR2020, GR2120 #1  
Tractor
Kubota BX25
I purchased a 2010 BX25 to do my heavy lifting work on a new property, it now has 300 hrs on it. Now that I have a paved driveway and grass on the lawn I can't seem to justify keeping the $23k machine to just push snow and mow the lawn. If I look at this for just the ca$h it's clear so if you can give me some ideas or perhaps something I've not thought about that would be great.

I was doing odd jobs with the BX25 and did enjoy that but it did keep me away from my own projects and family, but seeing the joy it brings to ppl when the job is done is nice too.

I was thinking to replace the BX25 I'd have to get something with 4WD cause I have a steep driveway for blowing snow and a hill on my lawn. As for horses I think that will be dictated by the 4WD feature.

Costs:
The BX25 cost me $23K (tax inc prices).
Add a deck: $2800
Snow Blower:$4500
Turf Tires: $500 (guessing)
Total:~ $31000

GR2020 $10400
Deck: Included
Snow Blower: $3000
Total: $13400

Questions:
* The GR2120 (diesel) is $1100 more - is it worth it?
* If I could sell the Loader and Backhoe they are worth $10,000 new $8000 used - any value in having a BX25 without them?
* Now that the heavy digging and lifting is done isn't a $31K lawn mower/snow blower overkill?
* Does anyone have any experience with the GR2120, or 2020?
* Has anyone ever been faced with the same "down size" dilemma?
* What do you think my 300 hr BX25 could be sold for? Traded?
* When is the best time to buy/sell?
* Which would have a higher maintenance cost?

Don't get me wrong I love my BX but perhaps it's time to be responsible, can the GR do the gardening and light topsoil tree planting work I'll need it to? Neither option above includes a cab, that might be nice some day?

If anyone has ever been faced with this please help a fellow "TractorByNet'er" out.

P.S: Sorry for the long post!

Troubled...

/ BX25 vs GR2020, GR2120 #2  
Never faced this dilemma but you will probably not get your money back when selling it. A loss will be taken. Let's say a 4000.00 loss. Around here thats the going amount. Your area will vary. So that's almost your snow blower right there. So for another 3000 dollars you could get your cutting deck and have a machine that can do more that the one your looking at and then some. That's figuring on the money you'll loose from the sale. The BX has everything you need and more. When buying the deck and blower check Craigslist and eBay or nearby dealers for used That's what I did and saved 50 percent off list. It took time to find and get but was well worth the savings.
BTW I am in the same boat. My BX24 is paid for and all the heaving lifting is done but I decided to keep it because there is always something that needs doing. My next project is clearing brush and plant a garden. I figure I'll never kill this machine and will pass it down to my kids

/ BX25 vs GR2020, GR2120 #3  
You may sell the loader but the backhoe is an orphan. It will not fit anything else but another BX25 and every BX25 comes with a backhoe. To upgrade another BX to take the hoe it is close to imposible to get parts to strengthen the frame.

David Kb7uns

/ BX25 vs GR2020, GR2120 #4  
I have both a BX24 and a GR2120.

I've only used the GR a couple of times so I can't say much about it other than it climbs the hill in my lawn easily and turns on a dime. The Deere 425 I had before would slide backward down the hill if the lawn was even damp. Wheee.

What sort of gardening would you do with the GR? The only implements I see are a blade and a blower. I've got to consider the machine a lawn-mowing luxury - other than the traction and safety factor.

Your BX price raised my eyebrows. I paid $14,995.00 (before tax) for my BX new.

Z.

/ BX25 vs GR2020, GR2120 #5  
I agree the price seems high but he may in Canada where they seem to get porked by kubota

/ BX25 vs GR2020, GR2120
Yup these are the prices, and we do get porked by Kubota. Here is a sales flyer link from my local, Sales Flyer

My gardening will only consist of a small greenhouse and family sized vegie crop.

These are great comments guys, please do keep them coming...!

/ BX25 vs GR2020, GR2120 #7  
Unless you have a really small lawn, I'd keep the BX. Knowing how it is around my house, something always comes up that you will need it for in the future. I think by the time you trade into a different machine, you won't really be money ahead. A BX isn't as good a mower as high dollar zero turn mower, but it does a pretty good job when you remove your end loader and back hoe.

/ BX25 vs GR2020, GR2120 #8  
Interesting dilemma. Some guys here on TBN often give this advice to first time buyers: To really consider what tractor one buys, because once the initial thrust is done in a year or two, the first tractor might be too big or at least, too capable, in the BX25 case. I hear these guys offer that and I always thought it was good, considered advice.

I also hear guys offer this advice: Don't worry about it. Use what you have and then adjust. It is very hard to buy once and get precisely what will always be, for all time, in all future situations, the perfect fit. Selling a clean unit, with a name brand like Kubota isn't normally all that hard and a major portion of the investment comes back to you. JohnThomas is the poster boy of this, I guess. :)

Think it through. Test the re-sale waters. Stick a toe in and see if it feel right. Run an ad on Craigs or similar. Won't cost you to find out.

If you do sell it and get a good price, then come back on and chat some more. I'd like to talk you into a BX1860 instead of the GR. :laughing::laughing:

/ BX25 vs GR2020, GR2120 #9  
your prices are way high for the BX.. even for here in canada. EDIT: Looked at the flyer. NFLD kubota is out to lunch. Call Eastern Turf.

Deck should be only about 2200 +-

Blower is only around 2k as well

turfs are around 125, so your price there is ok

Stripping the BX is pointless. You wont get much for the attachments

If you no longer feel you need the BX, sell it outright and go back with cash to by the GR.

Personally id just park the attachments out back and add the blower and deck. You never know when youll need the hoe or loader

/ BX25 vs GR2020, GR2120 #10  
Personally, I'd keep the BX25 and avoid taking a bath on the sale or trade. Just get the mower deck and keep on riding. I'm sure as time progresses, you'll find some jobs for the loader and/or backhoe and you'll be glad you have them. But, if you decide to trade down, I'm with BP and would suggest the BX1860 vs the GR. Better machine all around and it would leave you with the future option to use a 3PH implement or add the loader if you need it. I would even say if the roll bar is an issue that it could be removed on the BX1860 if all you do with it is mow and don't have severe hills. (flack jacket now on :laughing:)