Installing 3 Point hitch on b2920 with backhoe subframe

/ Installing 3 Point hitch on b2920 with backhoe subframe #1  

tractchores

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota b2920
I got a new trailer hitch setup today that connects to the 3 point hitch arms. In trying to set it up I realized that I can't figure out how to get the 3 point lower arms mounted to the tractor with the backhoe subframe on. The subframe has holes in it and it looks like the metal rod that holds the 3 pt lower arms should slide side to side to allow me to position the arms in place. However it doesn't seem like the rod on the tractor moves at all and it isn't covered in the manual. I suspect it just slides side to side and is just stuck, but don't want to bang on it until I know that's what it's supposed to do. Can anyone advise? The BH is a BH65 with the standard Kubota sub frame. Thanks!

/ Installing 3 Point hitch on b2920 with backhoe subframe #2  
The 3pt hitch cant be on unless you remove the backhoe.

/ Installing 3 Point hitch on b2920 with backhoe subframe
The 3pt hitch cant be on unless you remove the backhoe.

The backhoe is removed, but the sub frame stays in place. Supposedly the 3pt hitch can be used with the sub frame in place, but the edges make it impossible to get the lower link arms on the rod that holds them unless the rod can somehow slide.

/ Installing 3 Point hitch on b2920 with backhoe subframe #4  
First, make sure you un-do the set screw in the middle just above the drawbar (there's a set nut which must be undone first, then you can loosen the center bolt.) Next, spray a liberal amount of lubricant on it and hit it with a mallet (I usually use a punch so I can hit it directly in the middle.) It's a tight fit, but it can be done.

I just took off the backhoe on my B2620 and put on the 3-point hitch arms for the winter. It's definitely a pain to get the bar to move, but it will - don't give up! :)

244058d1325308780-b2620-cab-installation-modifications-cab6.jpg

First, make sure you un-do the set screw in the middle just above the drawbar (there's a set nut which must be undone first, then you can loosen the center bolt.) Next, spray a liberal amount of lubricant on it and hit it with a mallet (I usually use a punch so I can hit it directly in the middle.) It's a tight fit, but it can be done.

I just took off the backhoe on my B2620 and put on the 3-point hitch arms for the winter. It's definitely a pain to get the bar to move, but it will - just don't give up! :)

Thanks! I had removed the set screw and figured that was the only way the thing could be installed. I'll hit it with some oil and bang it a bit tomorrow and see where I get. One of the problems I'm finding with this tractor is that it was so lightly used by the previous owner that various pins have never been removed and/or greased so are a bit stiff (I'm not complaining, but I'm getting good at freeing them up). I even noticed tonight that all my tires are still fuzzy!

Last edited:
   / Installing 3 Point hitch on b2920 with backhoe subframe #6  
Thanks! I had removed the set screw and figured that was the only way the thing could be installed. I'll hit it with some oil and bang it a big tomorrow and see where I get. One of the problems I'm finding with this tractor is that it was so lightly used by the previous owner that various pins have never been removed and/or greased so are a bit stiff. I even noticed tonight that all my tires are still fuzzy!

You only need to loosen the set screw a little. You don't have to completely remove it. There's a small dimple on the bar that the set screw goes into to secure it from moving.

Also, when you put it back together, you'll probably have to play with (rotate) the bar to get the hole lined up.

Finally, lubrication is key (don't skimp on spraying it down.) No mater how many times I've done it, the bar always seems to be stuck the next time I try to add/remove the hitch bars. It's definitely not as simple as it should be to switch between the 3-point hitch and the backhoe (my only major complaint with the tractor.)

I'm probably going to try to cover it with some of the high pressure grease for my backhoe the next time I remove it to see if it helps any.

You only need to loosen the set screw a little. You don't have to completely remove it. There's a small dimple on the bar that the set screw goes into to secure it from moving.

Also, when you put it back together, you'll probably have to play with (rotate) the bar to get the hole lined up.

Finally, lubrication is key (don't skimp on spraying it down.) No mater how many times I've done it, the bar always seems to be stuck the next time I try to add/remove the hitch bars. It's definitely not as simple as it should be to switch between the 3-point hitch and the backhoe (my only major complaint with the tractor.)

I'm probably going to try to cover it with some of the high pressure grease for my backhoe the next time I remove it to see if it helps any.

Thanks. I'll try some penetrating oil and then if I can get it loose coat it in grease and hope that helps for next time. Hopefully it's not too seized up in there!

/ Installing 3 Point hitch on b2920 with backhoe subframe #8  
Thanks. I'll try some penetrating oil and then if I can get it loose coat it in grease and hope that helps for next time. Hopefully it's not too seized up in there!
If all else fails, get some PB Blaster. That stuff is amazing for loosening seized parts.

Thanks again to everyone who offered info. I got it unstuck, its a serious pain because there's no easy way to get leverage or to get a hammer in there. I finally was able to put a railroad spike in the pin hole and use that to move it after I used a lot of penetrating oil. Now I just have to figure out why my 3 pt hitch doesn't have the pins for the lifting link!

/ Installing 3 Point hitch on b2920 with backhoe subframe #10  
Thanks again to everyone who offered info. I got it unstuck, its a serious pain because there's no easy way to get leverage or to get a hammer in there. I finally was able to put a railroad spike in the pin hole and use that to move it after I used a lot of penetrating oil. Now I just have to figure out why my 3 pt hitch doesn't have the pins for the lifting link!

Yep, that pretty much sums it up! It's definitely a pain to switch back and forth due to the lack of room to move the bar. Glad to hear you got it done though.

As for the pins, did you check your toolbox? That's where mine were when I got the tractor from the dealer.