Snow rear lock

/ rear lock #1  

don white

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota B26
I have another snow plowing question.

I was thinking of making a hand operated handle for my forward reverse petal. Then I could operate individual brakes while operating the forward petal. I was also thinking I would be able to keep the rear locked. So that is the question. Should you operate individual brakes while the rear is locked? My guess is it will just slow both wheels and not help with steering.

I ordered a plow from Wildkat Attachments and it should be here next week. I have a B26. They only have 96' plows. They have a really good price. But 96' is just to big for my machine. So I called them up and asked if they would just cut one down and weld on new end caps. They are doing it. Now that is real good service.

I have just guaranteed that easteren Pa will not get anymore snow this winter.

/ rear lock #2  
A diff lock and individual foot brakes to steer are totally opposite tools. Braking one wheel while locked is just providing load to the engine and wear on the brakes and the lock. I think on the old JD 3020, using a foot brake was the means to pop up the little diff lock pedal under your heal.

/ rear lock #3  
They only have 96' plows. They have a really good price. But 96' is just to big for my machine.

96 FEET might be too big for most any machine I've ever seen. :laughing: :laughing:

/ rear lock #4  
I have used a hand lever for the hydro so I could use the breaks whike back filling trenchs but on snow to mjch forward backward and lever gets in way. But lever is great while I am on the hoe.

/ rear lock #5  
don white said:
I was thinking of making a hand operated handle for my forward reverse petal. Then I could operate individual brakes while operating the forward petal. I was also thinking I would be able to keep the rear locked. So that is the question. Should you operate individual brakes while the rear is locked? My guess is it will just slow both wheels and not help with steering.

Do not use the differential lock and the differential brakes at the same time. The right/left brake pedals are meant to stop either wheel independently to assist with turning. When the differential lock is on, the rear wheels are "locked" together, therefore this would be analagous to you putting your foot on the brake in your car, putting the transmission in drive, and pushing the gas pedal while holding your foot firmly on the brake. Your tractor will stall if the transmission is gear driven and whine and strain if it's a hydrostat.

/ rear lock
Yea that would be a big snow plow. I bet my B26 can handle it!
Maybe I can get a contract with the airport.

/ rear lock #8  
I was also thinking I would be able to keep the rear locked. So that is the question. Should you operate individual brakes while the rear is locked? My guess is it will just slow both wheels and not help with steering.
This is a really great idea on how to do a lot of damage to the transmission!!

So you want to lock the rear wheels for better traction I assume, then apply the left or right brake to aid in steering. Really bad idea.