Kubota L4150 questions

/ Kubota L4150 questions #1  

double hunter

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 1715
Just bought this Kubota L4150 4 wheek drive with loader, the tractor does not pull good in the high range in the higher gears, the low range and lower gears work fine, pulled up to a bank and it will spin all the wheels with no problem, but will not pull good in the upper gears, this tractor has not been used since last fall, it doesn't seem to be getting enuff fuel, the fuel filter has been replaced by an inline filter and I opened the output side and fuel was flowing freely, changed the hydraulic filter, any suggesyions that I might check will be appreciated, does this tractor have fuel pump, thanks in advance

/ Kubota L4150 questions
Just a follow up, the monsoons finally passed and I got a chance to get out and play with my new purchase, this thing runs great and operates smooth except for the highest gear in high range and the 3rd gear in high range, but I got it rolling and shifted thru the gears til I hit high and on flat ground it will keep on going, the tractor has 2580 hours and I think it may just have low enuff compression not to pull in high from a dead start, it was cool here this morning and it was a little slow to crank but after initial crank it fires right up, tractor does nt smoke or have blow by, for what I gave for it I'm still happy with purchase.

/ Kubota L4150 questions #3  
Our L3750 (basically same tractor) has 2070 hours, 1984 model, still has plenty of power and is a big heavy work horse. Love the 5 cylinder! High gear will really lug the motor though and we rarely use it, don't need that much speed around here. We use low range for FEL work and high 1 or 2 for mowing.

Ya probably need to go through the fuel system and I'd recommend putting a filter back on like the original, for water separation. Also run some good injector cleaner/fuel supplement through it.

/ Kubota L4150 questions
Thanks for the reply, going to the Kubota place in the morning and order the fuel filter assembly, I like for things to be original, is there any type injector cleaner that I need to run thru it, is there any thing else I need to check or clean.

/ Kubota L4150 questions #5  
I'd ask the dealer what type of injection cleaner to run. Been awhile since I've run any and can't remember what I used. Also change all the fluids/filters, engine oil, trans and front end. Should be good to go. :thumbsup:

/ Kubota L4150 questions #6  
Oh and grease all the fittings. Especially the front end mounts! I just went through a major front end rebuild, because the pivot mounts where badly worn. Tore up the pinion gear, seals, bearings, drive shaft and coupler. Mine also didn't have any grease fittings there(?), had to add them. Check yours good and grease everything!

/ Kubota L4150 questions
Just came in from dragging a box blade up and down my road, feeling a lot better about my purchase, pulls a 6' box full of gravel in 2nd gear in high range very well, still kind of hard to crank when its cold,

/ Kubota L4150 questions #8  
I usually chime in on L4150 threads if I see them - the gear ratios used for 3rd and 4th on L3 machines are pretty tall in high range - they are more for transport than doing implement work. My L5450 will pass cars in 4th high, but there's very little torque - 3rd and 4th LOW are great for mowing and snowblowing.

You asked earlier if the L4150 has a fuel pump. It actually has 2. The diesel injection pump is the main one but there is also a small transfer pump on the side of the engine that brings the fuel from the tank through the filter to the main pump. When the transfer pump gets weak, the engine only runs well when the tank is above half full.

Next time it seems to be running weak - maybe when going uphill? Try turning around and backing up. If the running improves, the transfer pump might be the cause. Also, when it's running weak, look at the filter bowl to see if it's running full or not. Sometimes there can be some skudge in the tank pickup that blocks flow. Carefully blow it backward with air and see if the bowl then fills and stays full a while. Hope this helps Dick B

/ Kubota L4150 questions #9  
My L4150 does the same thing when using the gear range you have tried. Nothing to worry about....enjoy the machine. I love mine!

/ Kubota L4150 questions
You guys are making me feel a lot better, went to the dealership today and ordered the proper fuel filter assembly and a couple more parts, think i will drain all the old fuel out of the tank while I'm installing the filter, this tractor has been sitting since last summer, changed all the oils and filters today, the man I got it from said the radiator needed rooding out as it would run hot, I ran it for 1 1/2 Sat and it never ran hot, cranked it Sun. afternoon and it started running hot it just a little while, I believe the thermostat must be sticking, if it was the rad. I think it would run hot consistently instead of intermittently, ordered a new thermostat for it today.