Help with Pressing Bearings into Pulley

/ Help with Pressing Bearings into Pulley #1  

TimP

Platinum Member
Tractor
B3000HSDCC
Hi. I'm in a jam.

I'm in the middle of an Alternator upgrade on a B2150.

The upgrade kit was sent in a bax with no real instructions on how to proceed.

One of the items is a Tensioner Pulley and I also was sent two bearings for it.

I "assumed" that the two bearings got placed into the pulley... but they are SO tight I am now wondering if they inside the pulley at all.

I tried tapping the first one in slowly with a block of wood and a rubber mallet and it started to go in, but the further I pushed it in the more the seal deformed until finally the seal is ruined.

Of course, it's Saturday night and can't get a replacement bearing (if my local dealer even has one in stock.)

I don't have a bearing press.

So... two questions:

1.) Do the bearings really go inside the Pulley? ( it really seems like they should )
2.) How do I press them in without ruining them ?

I guess it's possible that the bearings are not the correct ones for the pulley.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Tim

/ Help with Pressing Bearings into Pulley #2  
I would venture either you got it started slightly cocked, easy to do. Or wrong bearings. I used to use a socket the same size as the race. Good luck

/ Help with Pressing Bearings into Pulley
I would venture either you got it started slightly cocked, easy to do. Or wrong bearings. I used to use a socket the same size as the race. Good luck

It's very possible I got a little cocked whan I first started.

Is there some sort of super slick compound I can use to help ?

I have read of people who freeze the bearings and heat whatever they are going into, but I don't know if that is going to help.

/ Help with Pressing Bearings into Pulley #4  
grease the bearings before installing.

harbor freight makes a seal / bearing driver kit.

pretty much just billed aluminum discs and a handle to hold to to hammer them in.

aside from that.. I've also used large sockets.. just get one to fit the lip, but small enought to fit the ID of what you are pressing the bearing into.

soundguy

grease the bearings before installing.

harbor freight makes a seal / bearing driver kit.

pretty much just billed aluminum discs and a handle to hold to to hammer them in.

aside from that.. I've also used large sockets.. just get one to fit the lip, but small enought to fit the ID of what you are pressing the bearing into.

soundguy

Soundguy,

I'll try lubricating them up a bit.

I am looking for someone with a bearing press who will let me borrow it for an hour.

I was using a socket to try to drive the bearing in.. but I started it with a rubber mallet first.

Someone else siad to use a socket, but a heavy hammer and let the hammer do the work.

I hope I get it right... these dang bearing cost $10 each.

Thanks, Tim

/ Help with Pressing Bearings into Pulley #6  
an arbor press makes a decent (small)bearing press... also affordable at harbor freight..

soundgguy

/ Help with Pressing Bearings into Pulley #7  
If you have to replace a bearing why don't you ask your dealer to install it. Chances are they have a press and can do it without doing any damage to them.

/ Help with Pressing Bearings into Pulley #8  
I have a large vice that I use for replacing the bearings in PTO U-joints. It keeps things fairly straight.

Fluid Film is used for a lubricant but grease or anything slick will do.

Sometimes a pipe is needed to put on the vice's handle to increase the leverage. Also sometimes the bearing goes in by jumps instead of smoothly sliding.

Anyway, the first requirement for this method is a large vice.

an arbor press makes a decent (small)bearing press... also affordable at harbor freight..

soundgguy

I'll take a look.. THANKS.

If you have to replace a bearing why don't you ask your dealer to install it. Chances are they have a press and can do it without doing any damage to them.

That's a good idea.... I gotta go there anyway to get another bearing.

Thanks.