Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota, L4400, BX1870

Default Smoke from exhaust: what's normal?

I understand a puff a black or dark smoke on start up is normal on diesels. Here is what I have been noticing on my tractor: I get a puff of smoke which is a real light white when I in crease the rpm's quickly. The puff dissipates quickly but when I drop rpm's and raise them again, the exhaust spits out the smoke. Kinda like if you were revving a motor with a gas pedal.

Also the other night I was operating my tractor at night and could see a hint of exhaust smoke being illuminated from the tractors headlights. I was simply traveling down the road at about 2000 rpm. The smoke appeared to very light in color and I thought maybe it was visible because hot exhaust mixing the cool outside air? I'm not noticing smoke continually coming from the exhaust while operating, just when you goose the throttle or like I said at night with the headlights on. Tractor only has 36 hours on it. What do you all think? Normal diesel just being a diesel?
    Kubota L4400 - Land pride rear scraper blade, 6 foot landscape rake, 72'' Frontier Box Blade, Land Pride 60'' finish mower, Land Pride Q/A pallet forks, County Line Carryall built to haul and loaded R-1's
    Kubota RTV500
    Kubota BX1870

Previous Tractors: 1978 B7100, 2009 B3200

Tractor
    B3200, L5740,

Default Re: Smoke from exhaust: what's normal?

Quote Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
    I understand a puff a black or dark smoke on start up is normal on diesels. Here is what I have been noticing on my tractor: I get a puff of smoke which is a real light white when I in crease the rpm's quickly. The puff dissipates quickly but when I drop rpm's and raise them again, the exhaust spits out the smoke. Kinda like if you were revving a motor with a gas pedal.

Also the other night I was operating my tractor at night and could see a hint of exhaust smoke being illuminated from the tractors headlights. I was simply traveling down the road at about 2000 rpm. The smoke appeared to very light in color and I thought maybe it was visible because hot exhaust mixing the cool outside air? I'm not noticing smoke continually coming from the exhaust while operating, just when you goose the throttle or like I said at night with the headlights on. Tractor only has 36 hours on it. What do you all think? Normal diesel just being a diesel?
    Sounds normal, are you sure it is smoke and not vapor?
    A cold engine will put out a blue/white smoke but once it is warmed up that should stop.
    L5740 LA854 loader
    L3130 LA723 loader sold
    B3200 LA504 loader
    B1550 sold
    B2620 sold
    B4200 sold
    F2680E
    GF1800
    Kubota RTV900
    JD 850D Gator sold
    JD F935 x 2 sold
    Case 590SM-2
    JD 310D TLB
    Ford 555D sold
    Gehl 602 excavator

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK 35

I think your fine.
    Sounds normal to me, my tractors do the same thing.
    Vince,
    Kioti DK 35
    Hustler Super Z

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

I don't know where you live but if it's in a cold climate a little puff of blue smoke on start up is a healthy sign for a diesel. Just a little unburned fuel. Among other things I take care of the shipping at work. The diesel trucks will smoke in real cold weather if not on fast idle. Diesels have to be hot to burn the fuel.
    I used to do the Hokey Pokey but I turned myself around.

Tractor
    Kubota, L4400, BX1870

Quote Originally Posted by kuboman View Post
    Sounds normal, are you sure it is smoke and not vapor?
    A cold engine will put out a blue/white smoke but once it is warmed up that should stop.
    Vapor is what I could have been seeing passing in front of the headlights. I was getting the white puff when Goosin' the throttle. Engine was thoroughly warmed up, I just finished moving a tractor trailer load of asphalt millings.
    Kubota L4400 - Land pride rear scraper blade, 6 foot landscape rake, 72'' Frontier Box Blade, Land Pride 60'' finish mower, Land Pride Q/A pallet forks, County Line Carryall built to haul and loaded R-1's
    Kubota RTV500
    Kubota BX1870

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

What kind of temps are you operating the tractor at? There are no clues as to your location.
    I used to do the Hokey Pokey but I turned myself around.

Tractor
    Kubota, L4400, BX1870

Quote Originally Posted by whistlepig View Post
    What kind of temps are you operating the tractor at? There are no clues as to your location.
    Mid Atlantic. Yesterdays temps were mild. 50ish and the night time stroll when I could see smoke (appeared thicker than vapor) was mid 40's. Faranhiet.
    Kubota RTV500
    Kubota BX1870

Gold Member
    Tractor
    kubota b3200: kubota b7800: kubota rtv900

i am not an expert but most all diesels i have seen and operated will put out some smoke right when they are rev'd up. i run dump trucks, front end loaders, backhoes, and my own kubota equipment. sounds normal to me.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Same as others, nothing unusual.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Tractor
    Kubota L2800HST w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046

Working tractor at low rpm's can cause black smoke also build up..rolling along plus rev's 2000 rpms could loosen build up etc. what your seeing.

How fresh diesel?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast