cold start up

/ cold start up #1  

don white

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota B26
I was advised by a tractor mechanic that when starting cold a good system is to lock the bucket in curl to warm up the hydraulic oil. I use a bungee cord to pull the control over to curl.

The way he explained it was that the oil is forced through a small relief valve and will warm the oil.

Anybody ever heard of this system and what are your thoughts.

/ cold start up #2  
I was advised by a tractor mechanic that when starting cold a good system is to lock the bucket in curl to warm up the hydraulic oil. I use a bungee cord to pull the control over to curl.

The way he explained it was that the oil is forced through a small relief valve and will warm the oil.

New to me. But then I do not live in a very cold climate.

/ cold start up #3  
Well the manual says to warm it up without using the hydraulics, so it seems to contradict that advice. You could also warm the oil up by charging out and moving a pile of gravel, but I think that's defeating the purpose of warming it up without a load.

/ cold start up #4  
I just let the tractor warm up with no load. Just the hydraulic pump alone will warm up the oil.

/ cold start up #5  
The strain of the high pressure on the pump is where the damage happens from the cold oil. To bypass the relief to warm the oil is counter productive. Yes the oil warms faster but the damage to the pump and seals is many times worse.
Bad idea IMHO.:(

/ cold start up #6  

I say the opposite as forcing thick cold oil is more likeley to do damage . Just leave it stand with no load till the oil is warm .

/ cold start up
Makes sense to me. I am gonna change my procedure.
Thanks guys

/ cold start up #8  
Forcing oil over a relief valve will surely produce some heat, however, at the expense of the rest of the components in the system. The pump produces hydraulic flow, restriction to flow produces heat and pressure. Dumping the full flow of the pump over a relief valve while the oil is cold will result in much higher pressure at the pump than at the relief valve due to other restrictions ( valves, lines etc.) to flow in the system. Flow for relief valve is rated at operating temperature. Cold oil will reduce flow at the relief valve. All of the components between the pump inlet and the relief valve are subject to over pressurization. The oil will also suffer from overheating at the relief valve as well. There is enough restriction in the system to warm the oil in a few minutes. A few ounces of fuel is far less expensive than fixing hydraulic systems.

/ cold start up #9  

never heard of that. sounds like it will do more damage then good. any operator manuel i have read says to NOT LEAVE STEERING OR HYD CONTROLS IN RELIEF FOR EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME or damage could occur. i did however read once in a hyundai front loader manuel to repeatedly cycle the dump/curl hydrolic control to warm and thin the hyd fluid before operating at full load. i agree with the rest, just let it high idle for awhile when cold and that will help warm up the hydrolics. that is usually what i do with mine.

/ cold start up #10  
Yep, just let it warm up for about five minutes then have at it.

"You can't plow a field if all you do is turn it over in your head"