Tires First Flat on BX

/ First Flat on BX #1  

jam2004

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2230
After 530 hours, I awoke to my first flat on my BX 2230 (left rear TURF). I'm not real handy and I'm trying to decide whether I should attempt to fix this myself or call the dealer's mobile service to come to my farm and fix it. A few questions:

1) Is there a special tire iron that needs to be used to remove the bolts? Are the bolts reverse thread?

2) If I am able to remove the rim/tire, can a local tire place fix it or does have t go to a dealer?

3) Any other pointers?

jam

/ First Flat on BX #2  
I had a flat on the front of my BX24. I put Slime in it, aired it up, and never looked back. That was 400 hours ago. Then I added Slime to the other front tire just "in case".

That was me. Don't know if that is you or not.

Deano

/ First Flat on BX #3  
I'd check to see how big the puncture is and like Deano, if it's just a thorn or nail, I'd try some slime type product first. Then you'll be one your way with not much hassle. I've slimed a large rear tire that's now 30 years old. When it starts to have a slow leak, I just add some more slime...after about 4-5 years. I had put a plug in it also...originally. Good luck.
Oh, and the lugs are not a reverse thread as I recall....and any regular tire shop should be able to fix the leak. I probably would not try to dismount the tire/rim and repair the thing myself. Taking the wheel off the tractor should not be a problem however.

/ First Flat on BX #4  
Put some dish washing liquid or liquid soap in a squirt bottle and fill with water. Squirt this on the fill valve and see if it bubbles. If not squirt all around the rim front and back and see if it bubbles. If not squirt the tire tread and roll it till you see the bubbles and you will if you didn't see it around the rim or fill valve. If it's the air fill valve you will probably want to replace it by taking the tire off and taking it to a tire shop. If it's the rim then Slime it or take the tire to a tire shop and ask them to clean the rim and then apply the rim sealer to it. If it's bubbling in the tread then go to an Auto Parts store and get a tire repair kit for around $10. It will have a tool like an Ice pick included that is to stick in the hole and pull back and forth to make the hole big enough for the plug. Then put a plug on the tool as directions will tell you, stick it in the hole all the way in the tire and then pull it back out part way, cut the end off the plug and drive away. Really simple to fix a hole in the tread of a tubeless tire. Or you can take the tire off and take it to a tire shop and tell them to put a tube in it.

/ First Flat on BX #5  
In addition to JohnThomas' instructions, I'd say don't be afraid to replace the valve stem if it's leaking near the base. Severe bending of the rubber stem (on a root, etc) can cut the base enough to cause a leak, but not show.

The Slime brand replacement stems (go with the shortest, to minimize a future repeat) are just a couple of bucks at Wallyworld, and they sell a valve-puller, too, though I did my first one with a pair of pliers with no problem.

To break the bead on the dismounted front tire, I just laid a 2x4 on the tire sidewall near the rim edge and put down-pressure with the inverted FEL edge. You can use home tire changers, too. Then you just cut out the old stem, clean the hole area, and pull through the new stem.

I've had numerous nail/screw/wire flats in tread areas on the fronts and rears, and put the tar-rope plugs in, and they last just fine. No need to remove the wheels. Sometimes the nails stay in, and sometimes they puncture but stay in the scrap wood you drove over, so the soapy water trick (at high inflation) will reveal them to you.

For filled rears, you just rotate to do the patching on the high side, to minimize fluid loss. I don't bother pulling the tires off. They seal up fine. I always add extra rubber cement to the plug strips. Buy an 8oz can when you buy the basic kit. Good to have extra on hand.

Cheap and simple to do it yourself! Have fun.

Paul

/ First Flat on BX #6  
Put some dish washing liquid or liquid soap in a squirt bottle and fill with water. Squirt this on the fill valve and see if it bubbles. If not squirt all around the rim front and back and see if it bubbles. If not squirt the tire tread and roll it till you see the bubbles and you will if you didn't see it around the rim or fill valve. If it's the air fill valve you will probably want to replace it by taking the tire off and taking it to a tire shop. If it's the rim then Slime it or take the tire to a tire shop and ask them to clean the rim and then apply the rim sealer to it. If it's bubbling in the tread then go to an Auto Parts store and get a tire repair kit for around $10. It will have a tool like an Ice pick included that is to stick in the hole and pull back and forth to make the hole big enough for the plug. Then put a plug on the tool as directions will tell you, stick it in the hole all the way in the tire and then pull it back out part way, cut the end off the plug and drive away. Really simple to fix a hole in the tread of a tubeless tire. Or you can take the tire off and take it to a tire shop and tell them to put a tube in it.

+1 I have fixed a lot of tires with nails/screws by the plug method, It has worked well for me and is quick because you don't have to take the tire off. If it is a tiny hole like a thorn makes in the tread, I usually just pump in some Berryman's tire sealant, (about like slime) and it works well. I have found a few valve stem core leaks, either try screwing in the valve stem core in a little if it was loose, or try replacing it. They are cheap, and so is the little tool to take them in and out. Of course if you don't want to mess with it, then a BX would be a piece of cake to take the tire/wheel off, even a rear tire/wheel and take it to the tire shop.

James K0UA

Last edited:
   / First Flat on BX
Well. I went to the store to get some Slime. As I began to twist the can onto the valve stem, the stem came off. It seemed like the rubber was rotted. Now the Slime is no longer an option

/ First Flat on BX #8  
Well. I went to the store to get some Slime. As I began to twist the can onto the valve stem, the stem came off. It seemed like the rubber was rotted. Now the Slime is no longer an option

Ok now you can take the tire/wheel off and either take it to the tire shop or break the bead and replace the valve stem. Here is a video on how to replace the valve stem. He uses a nice breaker , but there are cruder ways to break the bead, sometime on smaller tires you can just stomp the bead loose or take a 2x6 and start to run a car up on it for weight or other methods. You are going to need that 4 way valve stem tool.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxemJ-thV7Y]Emergency Tire repair: Valve Stem Replacement - YouTube[/ame]

James K0UA

/ First Flat on BX #9  
Have you consider tube?

/ First Flat on BX #10  
My stem valve came off too from rears on BOTH sides within a week of each other. I replaced both stems with no problem. If you have a FEL, floor jack and lug wrench, and package of short standard side stems, you are golden.
Just just it up under hitch in rear, take bolts off (yeah I said bolts, not nuts so tire will fall off after 4th bolt is out so be careful) . After tire is off, use your FEL to pop bead (with bucket flat, close to rim as possible). Remove defective stem peices, slip in a new one and air up. :thumbsup: