Adjusting the height of a 3-point hitch snowblower

/ Adjusting the height of a 3-point hitch snowblower #1  

check

Elite Member
Dorset (cottage country) and Toronto, Ontario, Can
Tractor
2009 Kubota BX25
I have a rear-mount blower on my BX25, and when the lift arms on the 3-point hitch are fully lowered, the blower is still not quite low enough, even with the skid shoes set up as short as possible. As well, when I go up a slight incline, the blower raises up off the ground and misses a lot of snow. I looked at the blower manual (Model B2789) and could not see where the lower limit can be adjusted.

Can anyone advise me here? (BTW it would be nice if I could put the blower in "float" mode like you can do with the front loader.)

Thanks,

James

/ Adjusting the height of a 3-point hitch snowblower #2  
I am no expert with blowers, but it sounds like a tractor problem with the lift arms not going low enough. Most tractors have adjustments. Mine has multiple holes where the lower arms mount to the sidelink. The difference from highest to lowest is probabally a good 6-8".

Any pics of the blower hooked up? and maybe some close-ups of the 3PH?

/ Adjusting the height of a 3-point hitch snowblower #3  
If your 3 point hitch arms are dropping all the way down, you also may need to change where the 3 point hitch pins mount to the blower. If you mount the pins higher, the snow blower will go lower. If the blower is set up correctly on the 3 point hitch it will float like you want.

/ Adjusting the height of a 3-point hitch snowblower #4  
LD1 is correct, there are another set of holes in side links, my BX23 had them. Swap to the other holes and make sure you adjust your center link. There should be at least two sets of mounting holes for that, as my Grand L has 3 or 4. You can use either set depending on how high or low you want the attachment( snow blower) to be.
DevilDog

/ Adjusting the height of a 3-point hitch snowblower #5  
just had a look at my BX24 with B2781 rear blower... can't be much different than your setup.
with blower sitting on the floor, the side link pins are about 12" off the floor, and I think the arms would go lower if they weren't now connected to the blower. I see no alternate holes on the lower arms or side links.
Also, to get the BX 3-pt to 'float', I think you would need to rig up something to hold the control lever in the 'down' position. Seems I remember reading a previous post on this topic.
I'm just west of you in Georgetown, I haven't used my blower yet this winter, and chances are pretty slim we'll get a dump now.

Pete

/ Adjusting the height of a 3-point hitch snowblower #6  
So, not quite understanding.

Is the snow blower skid shoes skidding on the ground? Then you need to tilt the blower back a little more with the top link. Only 3-4 rounds of adjustment makes a big dsifference on my blower.

If the skid shoes are not touching the ground then your 3pt is not going low enough, as others mentioned you need to choose the other set of holes in the tractor lift arms to let it lower farther.

I didn't know any common tractors had anything other than 'float' with the 3pt, they do not commonly have down pressure, you put the 3pt down, and it will float up as much as it wants? Again, not quite understanding...

--->Paul

/ Adjusting the height of a 3-point hitch snowblower
just had a look at my BX24 with B2781 rear blower... can't be much different than your setup.
with blower sitting on the floor, the side link pins are about 12" off the floor, and I think the arms would go lower if they weren't now connected to the blower. I see no alternate holes on the lower arms or side links.
Also, to get the BX 3-pt to 'float', I think you would need to rig up something to hold the control lever in the 'down' position. Seems I remember reading a previous post on this topic.
I'm just west of you in Georgetown, I haven't used my blower yet this winter, and chances are pretty slim we'll get a dump now.

Pete

THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT SUGGESTIONS, GUYS. We have plenty of snow up at the cottage (2.5 hrs. N.E. of Toronto), so I can try these ideas perhaps this weekend. There is in fact a higher attachment hole on the blower that I can switch to. (See attached photo.)

WRT holding the control lever down to get a "float" mode, will try that as well.

James

Attachments

• IMG_1528.jpg
    IMG_1528.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 1,660
   / Adjusting the height of a 3-point hitch snowblower #8  
The BX 3-pt control is a 'return to center' lever... the lever springs back to the center position... you push it down to lower the hitch (gravity, there is no down pressure), pull it up to raise the hitch, in the centre position the hitch arms do not float, they stay at that height.
James, I see the difference with your B2789, my B2781 has only one mounting point for the side pins.
And what's that white stuff on the blower... didn't realize you were up in cottage country.

Pete

Last edited:
   / Adjusting the height of a 3-point hitch snowblower
The BX 3-pt control is a 'return to center' lever... the lever springs back to the center position... you push it down to lower the hitch (gravity, there is no down pressure), pull it up to raise the hitch, in the centre position the hitch arms do not float, they stay at that height.
James, I see the difference with your B2789, my B2781 has only one mounting point for the side pins.
And what's that white stuff on the blower... didn't realize you were up in cottage country.

Pete

Thanks, Pete - will try holding the lever down. Don't know what the white stuff is, but it keeps getting all over everything. The blower sure likes it! Send me a shor of your B2789, OK?

/ Adjusting the height of a 3-point hitch snowblower #10  
My blower is a B2781...
Here it is in the garage where it's been waiting all winter...
I just bought this setup in Sept, did some trenching/ditching out back 'til it got too wet in the fall. Thought I might get some snow blowing use this winter (I have about 300' of driveway), but nope. Took the blower off for a few hours yesterday to use the BX24 to clear up some trees knocked down by the wicked winds Saturday.
you can see how it's built a bit different than your B2789, it is gear drive, but it's a pretty rugged unit.

Pete

Attachments

• 103_0532.jpg
    103_0532.jpg
    628.7 KB · Views: 6,071
  • 103_0533.jpg
    103_0533.jpg
    539.4 KB · Views: 1,941