Loader M7040 can't lift a ton

/ M7040 can't lift a ton #1  

pbooch

Tractor
IH, Kubota, Deere, Case
Hi, I've got an Kubota M7040 with an LA 1153 loader.
I have a lot of problems lifting pallets off of trucks with this loader.
It will barely lift a ton, but only if you first tip the pallet back (I am guessing this centers the load and reduces the leveraging effect of holding a one ton pallet level). The loader is rated for 2300 lbs. --I am wondering if there is a way to increase the lifting capacity of this tractor/loader?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paul

/ M7040 can't lift a ton #2  
I am having the same issue with my M7040. i bought it new this past fall. I also have a problem with the 3pt. I was told that there is a pressure relief valve and that it is not set right. Any help out there?

/ M7040 can't lift a ton #3  
Not to butt in, but a loader is usually rated for a certain weight 'at the pins'... or sometimes X amount of inches from the 'pins'. So, if you loader is rated for 2300, you have to take off the weight of the forks from the 2300, and that will give you about how much you can pick up near the pins. Pins being close to the back of the forks, and tips of forks being far from them.

/ M7040 can't lift a ton #4  
Kubota's web site shows a lift capacity for the LA1153 of 2,326 lbs at the bucket center which would be with the bucket on so I would think you should be able to lift a ton give or take depending on what proportion of the weight is further out than the bucket center. I would suggest you both have your relief pressure tested to see if it is in spec which, again according to their web site, is 2,770 PSI. You could have a dealer check it or make up a pressure check kit using a short hose, QC that will fit one of your remotes for the loader, and a gauge. Something like this should work.

Surplus Center - 5000 PSI 2.5" LF LM GAUGE

If the pressure tops out less than spec, the relief valve can be shimmed to so that it doesn't open until the spec pressure is reached. If the tractor is new, I'd recommend you have the dealer do it.

/ M7040 can't lift a ton #5  
Are you using forks that slip onto the bucket edge, or a fork attachment that replaced the bucket? Slip ons move the weight very far out and make it harder to lift.

You may also want to see if your pallets are 'long tons' 2200lbs, or 'short tons' 2000 lbs. I've seen a both called a 'ton'. Also don't forget to add packing materials + skid to the weight calculation.

the LA1153 has a lift of 2,326 lbs at the bucket center... which is probably only 1 foot from the pins. A standard 48x40 pallet means your load center is a minimum of 2 feet from the pins. Also that lift capacity generally DOES NOT include the bucket weight (or pallet forks).

All said I would NOT expect that tractor/loader combination to reliably handle 1 ton loads from the specs. You might be able to just barely lift them, but not to full height, and not with any kind of extra reserve to deal with a slightly over loaded pallet.

/ M7040 can't lift a ton #6  
1st - make sure you have the loader cylinders in the power hole, not the height hole.

2nd.. check hydraulic pressure

/ M7040 can't lift a ton
Thanks to all who wrote with suggestions.

I moved the lift cylinder to the power hole and that helped a lot.
Messicks, Thanks for the tip. Thanks also for putting parts diagrams on your web site, I've bought parts for my 40 year old N Holland spreader there because it sure makes it easier.

Re power hole, I'm surprised my dealer didn't think of it, they went right for the hydraulic pressure, which I think I will still have checked next time its in the shop.

So for the record, it can lift a ton plus fork weight (real forks, not bolted to bucket).

I went out to the barn and practiced on a wrapped 1 ton pallet left over from last year. After moving from height to power (lower) pivot point on the main loader lift arm, I was able to lift it. I still needed to tip it back, and it won't go all the way up, but I could comforably lift it about 8-9 feet, which should clear the truck bed no problem. I have felt a little embarrassed when the truck driver shows up and I can't get the pallet off the truck!

BTW this tractor definaltey needs a lot of weight for loader work, we use a concrete weight bucket since our tires are not loaded.

Best,
Paul

1st - make sure you have the loader cylinders in the power hole, not the height hole.

2nd.. check hydraulic pressure

/ M7040 can't lift a ton #8  
Hi, I've got an Kubota M7040 with an LA 1153 loader.
I have a lot of problems lifting pallets off of trucks with this loader.
It will barely lift a ton, but only if you first tip the pallet back (I am guessing this centers the load and reduces the leveraging effect of holding a one ton pallet level). The loader is rated for 2300 lbs. --I am wondering if there is a way to increase the lifting capacity of this tractor/loader?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paul

I lift a ton of feed on pallets off my truck everytime I go pick up feed,usually un-load it with my M5040 or M7040,never any problems.They are usually in the bed of truck or on trailer,I usally just pick them up high enough to get off trailer but never have tried to pick to them up any higher than that cause I usually lower them down as soon as they get off,and put them in barn..

/ M7040 can't lift a ton #9  
Mine has an m20 loader, what's the difference? Why two loaders for one tractor model? I only have 1100# bales this year, so that's all I've lifted that I know the weight of.

/ M7040 can't lift a ton #10  
Any of you fellas have the self leveling valve on your loader and does it work well?:D